Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    johncenajohncenajohncenaclickhereSOMEONEHELPjohnce nabrocklesnar

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    The anti-spam measure for registering an account right now is knowing Rossignol's first name. I wonder if there might be some mileage in making the answer more obscure, and emailing it out to people who register WordPress accounts on the main site.

(I know that means you effectively have to register two accounts to use the forums, but I would imagine the number of people who want forum access but emphatically don't want commenting access on the posts is marginal.)
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Holy donkey balls, Batman; somebody drowned the general forum!
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    The anti-spam measure for registering an account right now is knowing Rossignol's first name. I wonder if there might be some mileage in making the answer more obscure, and emailing it out to people who register WordPress accounts on the main site.
    This are not spambots, they are physical people doing it so it's pointless. The best way to deal with it is to disable register for a couple of weeks and rewrite the rules, maybe get a moderator in to be the only one activating accounts, because it's starting to get out of hand.

Network Hub
    Yeah, this is getting ridiculous:

spam.jpg

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Ridiculous? We're well past that point. We'll have to nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Subatomic View Post
    Yeah, this is getting ridiculous:

spam.jpg
    That picture is clearly faked. I'm not the last poster for any of those threads.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Activated Node
    Wow, I've never seen spam this bad. As others have pointed out there are beyond a ridiculous number of accounts watching 'PC Gaming Discussion' and 'Other Stuff' (the other forums are slipping into their grasp as well). It seems to be just a few accounts actually making the threads, but there seem to be thousands of 'support' spam accounts.

I think volunteer moderators just for spam would be a good idea, but that alone will not solve the problem, merely slow it, we'd still get bombarded. Some sort of account creation control and new account activity control is needed as well.
    Last edited by Tams80; 04-05-2012 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossignol View Post
    The spam controls still need a bit of tuning, but there is significantly less than there was two weeks ago.
    ^this is no longer true.

I am up for no regging for a week, no matter if we are having a great influx of multiplayer peoples.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    ^this is no longer true.
    The Spam can go back in time now? And change the past? Oh no! Let's hope it doesn't try and kill Hitler.

It may be that most of the spam threads are started by people with 0 posts. But, how many other, non-spam threads are started by people with 0 posts? Making this requirement would prevent them from creating threads as well. And, as others have said, it would just move the spam into already existing threads, or we'd end up with the spam bots spamming 1 post in an existing thread, and then going to town making their spam threads. It would hardly be an effective prevention.

I also don't see any justification for closing the doors here... that would just be a complete overreaction, punishing legitimate possible members due to the actions of the Spam posters. The spam isn't that bad... it's easy enough to spot and easy to scroll past and ignore... It's fairly obvious if the title is about 'Watch X Y or Z', or something about a specific episode of a show, or it's about a TV show in PC Gaming discussion, or the thread title uses @'s and the like, or the poster is called Kadayi, that it can safely be ignored, you can move on and nothing of value will be lost. Just ignore it, move on, and it'll get deleted soon enough. Report it if you're civic minded. All those posts from yesterday evening are gone now, and, aside from some amusement and having to skip to page 2 of the forum, what disruption did they actually cause?

Yes, there's a lot of spam, but it's easy to spot and avoid and not get caught up with... like a turd on the street, or a pensioner that's fallen and broken their hip - the look, the smell, the pitiful wailing for help are all easy to spot. I don't think we should overreact, make membership some reward for completing trials of Homeric proportions. I don't think we should put any hoops in place for people to jump through. It'll punish legitimate users, and the spam will still find a way to get through.

Also, Jom Rissignol says they're trying a new spam fighting solution this week. So maybe that'll fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    -Snip-
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...?104-The-Rules

1. Be excellent to each other.

2. That means not insulting each other.

3. No, really, it's possible to disagree without insults. Just don't do it.

4. Please use English. I know, but our Foreign is pretty shockingly bad.

5. Please report spam or innappropriate behaviour using the tools provided.

It's a little wearing that you have to derail a thread into some kind of personal attack Unaco. No doubt I'm sure it will win you some browny points with a few others on the forum who've elected to hate my guts and disagree with everything I say as a matter of principle, but it's not really cricket. Realise I just don't care what you think in that respect and move on with your life man.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 30-04-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    yaddayaddayadda
    6 words in a ~400 word post is hardly derailing the thread into some kind of personal attack Kadayi. It was a casual, throwaway joke. Please don't turn this into another one of your exhibitions of terrible, but persistent, rhetoric. Besides... aren't you supposed to be ignoring me (like I suggested, many, many months ago, and have reminded you about many, many times - you really should be taking the advice of your betters here). If you're going to keep responding to my posts, shouldn't you take me off that silly "Phasers set to ignore" list? And how much of a de-railer do you think that is, appearing in all of your posts?

(Please don't respond, those last 2 questions are rhetorical... sit back and think about them, but I don't expect an answer).

The thread is about the Spam issues... lets stick to that shall we.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Well, first I thought it was getting back at me because I made the holocaust dancing simulator game up, in that off topic thread...

But I digress.

Im just extremely annoyed by the spam, thats all. I know I wont be a mod because Im asking to be one :D But I would like a spam free board. Lets just hope the measure jim is taking is doing it.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    - snip -
    Generally I do ignore you Unaco. I'm kept informed of your unwarranted digs by my friends. Mayhap if you desist eventually I'll stop ignoring you.

The spam thread titles all use Google-syntax (I don't know if that's a thing; I just made it up, but I mean the kind of thing you would type into Google that isn't quite proper English). I suspect that they're not even trying to spam us; they're just trying to create threads that would match to Google searches. Which makes it all the more infuriating.

Also, I would buy this game, and not even in a Steam sale: at full price!
    Last edited by thegooseking; 30-04-2012 at 03:09 PM.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Banned
    Seems a bit weird that RPS is being targeted to this degree. Did someone rail on 4chan or some such at one point?

Honestly I think it's just because RPS (because the hivemind has limited time for taking out the trash) allows spam to stick around longer than most websites.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Yeah, sounds like they need some lesser hivemind nodes in different area codes.

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Yeah, sounds like they need some lesser hivemind nodes in different area codes.
    I got nodes (nodes) in different area codes (area), area coooodes
    steam

Network Hub
    Make new accounts have to PM Jim(or whoever) on the forum with a few random personal details(age, location, SEX, why you're joining) so you can be manually authenticated. Anyone who doesn't PM Jim, gets stuck in unauthenticated unable to post limbo