Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Smooth Stone Simulator 2012

MUHAHA I found one. The question is, what now?

Quote Originally Posted by Rakysh View Post
    MUHAHA I found one. The question is, what now?
    You study it and then learn Survival.

I've been at it for almost 30 minutes now and still no stone. No idea how far from Boston I am but this is mad.

EDIT: 5 minutes later and I find 2 right next to each other.
    Last edited by Abacus Finch; 25-04-2012 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alset85 View Post
    You study it and then learn Survival.
    Yeah, I got that bit, but do I just continue to get my explore on?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Is there only one server?

Quote Originally Posted by Rakysh View Post
    Yeah, I got that bit, but do I just continue to get my explore on?
    You find more stuff to study. So yeah.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    They really need to get clearer ground textures. This noisy stuff is giving me a headache.

Got mine today.

From what I can tell half of the game is missing. Also there's no tutorial, guide or anything. In short, quit after 5 mins, waiting for a proper beta version.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tres View Post
    Got mine today.

From what I can tell half of the game is missing. Also there's no tutorial, guide or anything. In short, quit after 5 mins, waiting for a proper beta version.
    You are mistaking post 2009 PR events with real software betas.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    You are mistaking post 2009 PR events with real software betas.
    You do realize that it's rather hard to find bugs in game mechanics and report them when you don't even know how is something supposed to work due to no proper documentation or introduction, right?

I, for instance, have no idea what stone you folks are talking about since game mentions nothing about it.

Check out those videos I linked. I think they're the same ones linked in the email you got.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    You do realize that it's rather hard to find bugs in game mechanics and report them when you don't even know how is something supposed to work due to no proper documentation or introduction, right?

I, for instance, have no idea what stone you folks are talking about since game mentions nothing about it.
    You are telling the guy in Warlock beta? imagine civilization with no manual, yet we were able to test most stuff. Quit whinning.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    You are telling the guy in Warlock beta? imagine civilization with no manual, yet we were able to test most stuff. Quit whinning.
    Well at least you have some points of reference, but there's nothing like Salem out there so it can be daunting to try to do anything. I myself started wandering the world and I have no idea how to get back to Boston with no map or even a basic compass without losing every goodie in my inventory because that's how the travel system works.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Haven & Hearth is like Salem!

Anyway, I'm now studying a tumbleweed while eating berries so I can learn how to farm.

And in the game.

Any ideas on how to get stone and nails quickly?

Is there a big map or something? I don't know how far from Boston I am and may well be fairly lost.

EDIT: Would also like to know the prerequisites for Agriculture? Hasn't popped up for me yet and I've done a fair bit of studying. Simple Cooking? Pottery, maybe?
    Last edited by Abacus Finch; 26-04-2012 at 03:47 AM.

Seems like the time to ask: when you're lost, are you totally screwed?

EDIT: Answer I found: no. You can teleport back to Boston and retain your inventory.

I played for an HOUR (not exaggerating) before I found a smooth stone. But it was too close to a ledge, so my useless Pilgrim could not pick it up. So I played for another 10 minutes and found another. Then I trained up my survival skills. Then I realized that this is the most tediously boring thing I have ever played in my life IN ITS CURRENT STATE. But seriously.
    Last edited by Smashbox; 26-04-2012 at 04:26 AM.

Obscure Node
    I can see how its not a game for everyone, but so far I like it.

That first hour (or more) before you find your first stone is murder, I almost gave up just before I found my first stone. You just need to keep walking away from Boston (Starting town) and soon you will begin to find all sorts of things. After that you slowly start to get the 'ball rolling' and you can start to learn skills and build simple things.

Getting your first 20 silver can also be insanely difficult not to mention getting back to Boston with the items you need to sell to gain that silver (check those stalls before setting off so you know what sells basically indian arrowheads and feathers at the start).

Walking as much in the same direction so you can make your way back helps a lot.

However its obvious this game isnt about making things easy, and because of that when you do achieve things you get a much greater sense of accomplishment.

Watching those tutorial videos linked on the beta forums (and in this thread) is a must!

I for one am enjoying myslef, I love the exploration side of MMO's and sandbox has always been a favorite style/genre of mine. I spent a good chunk of my day yesterday getting lost but slowly finding items to study and eat. I've now got about 6 skills and have a much better idea about how things work, I've even been able to increase a couple of my Humors by a point.

I now have a little 'leanto' that I can teleport to boston and back with my inventory. Though it seems theres a couple of other leanto's nearby, the surrounding area hasn't been picked clean like the area near Boston so things are starting to progress faster.

The Beta forums which if you have your key you will be able to view and post on have some decent information and there is a wiki which needs a lot of attention but still helps somewhat.

http://salemwiki.info/index.php/Main_Page

Getting a few RPS players together to form a group sounds like a good idea.

Atrak (same name ingame)

Obscure Node
    Got mine today.

I actually think that this might be intentional, at least to a degree, its a game of discovery and learning in itself. I daresay if it ever has a tutorial it won't be very indepth.

Atrak