Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Yeah I have a Monday research deadline that I'm not going to meet, so no games for me right now.

Obscure Node
    I hear theres also an upkeep of silver for a town as well, i think it was something like 10 or so silver every 6 hours?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    A little update: A small stone wall is up, and now have the skill for braziers. With the changes to the soak value of walls today this should be a sufficient defense for the time being. I've found a mine in the immediate area, so Soul and I set up an entrance with a fence there. We are now able to produce iron bars. The first two runs only produced one bar (and a face in the dross), but getting the required material is fairly painless. Only lime requires a bit of walking since the only deposit is five minutes away.

Population: 2

Here's an article: http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/nake...all-mmo-salem/

Nothing new, except this part:

Salem is going into a paid beta this summer, with a full launch planned in the Fall.
    Curious.

Yeah, right.

Of course that means no beta wipe, and hordes of gankers ready on release day to make sure Paradox's investment goes down the toilet, if things remain even remotely how they are now.

Also, trying to walk from my homestead to Malawi's took half my day, and all my will to live.

After partaking once again of the lovely "community" in the beta forums, I doubt I'll be logging back in on this.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by torgen View Post
    Yeah, right.

Of course that means no beta wipe, and hordes of gankers ready on release day to make sure Paradox's investment goes down the toilet, if things remain even remotely how they are now.

The Developers already stated that there will be a beta wipe even before it goes live, he was predicting sometime late june. Obviously that can change, but they are pretty active on IRC if you want to ask them things.

They have already nerfed gaining Cloak & Dagger skill which should help a little with the day one griefing, and buffed defences a little. It does have a long way to go before its anywhere near ready though.

It'll be interesting to see how griefing is handled. At the minute it just sounds as if there's very little penalty for a "group" that constantly nurtures and outfits assassins with the express purpose of spoiling other people's fun. A Thuggee culture, if you will.

I'm not in the beta, no interest really - sounds like work - but I find this kind of emergent settlement simulation a fascinating prospect to read about.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Predicting this will be one of those titles more fun to read about than play for some folks.

I'm going to take a break from this for a while. Only thing I can do right now is produce iron and wait for plants to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    Predicting this will be one of those titles more fun to read about than play for some folks.
    I'm getting the feeling that the organized hordes of gankers will have run off the crafters and peaceful folk in two weeks unless things drastically change, but the feeling I get is that the devs don't believe that those measures fit their vision.

Obscure Node
    i havnt got the time to get on much at the mo, But slowly trying to get some skills up. Just isnt as fun gaining skills for the 2nd time. Hopefuly get back to the stage of being able to atualy do something.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by torgen View Post
    I'm getting the feeling that the organized hordes of gankers will have run off the crafters and peaceful folk in two weeks unless things drastically change, but the feeling I get is that the devs don't believe that those measures fit their vision.
    The Devs have stated that 'wolves without sheep' makes for a pointless game, so they are definately aware of the issue. They have made responses pointing to the fact they know they need to appeal to both types of players or be left with an empty wasteland with a few gank squads roaming around. I guess the problem is trying to find that balance, if everyone can craft in absolute saftey its just as bad as making it easy to grief.

That said the game is still very unfinished and I have no real ideas about how they plan on addressing this issue, they did bump defences a little, but thats not going to do much to a swarm of ppl intent of destroying all you have created. They nerfed the Cloak & Dagger gains to slow down getting the skills used to kill and murder etc. However that really won't do much to slow down those highly organised groups focused on getting those skills and causing mayhem.

Right now the fact that you get punished for actively defending your land by leaving scents that can then be used to summon you while your offline and then killed etc is terrible and really needs to be looked at.

Hopefully they find the answer before the game goes live.
    Last edited by Atrak; 12-05-2012 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrak View Post
    Right now the fact that you get punished for actively defending your land by leaving scents that can then be used to summon you while your offline and then killed etc is terrible and really needs to be looked at.
    That is one of the most poorly though out design decisions that I have ever read.

I am interested in the game but I am not happy with what I have been reading on this thread. Poor functionality and rampant griefing will ensure that I simply won't waste my time and I strongly suspect that I won't be the only one kept away by these issues so it really is int he devs best interests to get a grip on it.

Activated Node
    Is there still an RPS village?

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Jerusalem View Post
    got my key, got the game installed and made it as far as boston before utter confusion set in.

spoiler: boston isn't that far.
    This. I don't know what on earth i'm supposed to do, it says i can talk to the guide people around Boston to be taken out into the wilderness for only 20 silver, then i try, only to be slapped on the hand and told i'm just a poor boy without 20 silver.

I tried wandering out of town to see if i could get money by looting stuff or something, but i didn't find anything, and i don't know how much money i do have, or how to find that out, in order to try buy a weapon or something...

Myabe i'm just simple, but i don't usually have this problem with games. I'll be googling a guide tonight i think to try and get on my feet in the game.

There is still a village, if by village you mean a hermit's camp that still has its walls.

I can't recommend playing this game. It starts off bad and doesn't get any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    There is still a village, if by village you mean a hermit's camp that still has its walls.

I can't recommend playing this game. It starts off bad and doesn't get any better.
    Yep. But with extensive support it maybe could become something interesting.

Network Hub
    If you liked H&H im guessing your going to like this

Basic start guide

Go wander and find the items needed for inspirational items, build them, study them, maybe write down what that boost.

Look at the skills and work out what you need

Repeat the first step but targeted to what you want to boost

Find ways to exploit the game to make GODS

If any one is playing im psy ingame
    Last edited by psyk; 16-05-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Network Hub
    Half of salem is the meta game and If you need the 20 silver to get out of boston give me a shout. If your coming to this game thinking you can play as casual as you like and still do something your kidding yourself and should turn away now.
    Last edited by psyk; 19-05-2012 at 08:21 PM.