Hybrid View

[AAR] Tactical Tuesday 24/4/2012 - Being Stealth

Around 26 people joined hands tonight to be stealth and blow things up, the two essential forces all tacticalness in our universe is composed of. Thanks for being there.

The missions for the night were:
    • Red Snow
    • Tankicious
    • Highway

Red Snow
    went surprisingly well (that's me being surprised, as I made the mission and wanted you all dead). Sulphur's plan had the fireteams carefully skirt the AO and scout out enemy positions, mine the roads and then hit the enemy in a mostly coordinated manner. Even the slightly better fortified vehicle depot didn't offer much resistance, and victory was declared.

Tankicious pitted the grizzled platoon commanders Washington and Capernatious against each other. Washington's force emerged as the clear victor, being able to concentrate fire on single enemy tanks, whittling down the opposing platoon.

Highway saw one of the smoothest convoy ambushes ever, with the TK army APCs going down almost at the same time, spilling their infantry cargo for the machineguns to chew down in quick succession.
    Clips are fully loaded, and then blood floods the lawn

Red Snow
    I was Bravo FTL in this mission. Things didn't start as smoothly as hoped, as by the time the map had finished loading for me I was about 1km off the ground, and consequently I landed quite a way out. Not only that, but I got gunned down passing through a village to our designated LZ. Once that was resolved, we played catch-up with the other squads, mining our target and advancing to the next town. Our sniper showed a lot of moxie, scouting out ahead and keeping our path clear - sadly, I can't remember who it was. Despite a few other setbacks (Capernatious being killed by a fence, our AR dude disconnecting and his AI shooting me in the face), our (roughly) coordinated advance swept us nicely through the objectives, and we soon stole a bunch of vehicles from the depot and escaped TO GLORY

Tankicious
    Driving a tank with Joe and Egg, I made the following observations:
    * Third-person view of tanks is INCREDIBLY LOUD
    * Acting as a lure for the enemy tanks can be quite effective if you keep an engineer and medic handy

Highway
    This went so smoothly there's barely anything to say about it. Nice going, everyone.

Yeah, the landing in Red Snow didn't go so smoothly with me too, never did a HALO jump, so I landed 2 kilometers away from the meetup point.... in the water. I had the mines and satchels, so I had to play catchup and sprint to my team, good thing I didn't meet any hostiles on the way. By the time I rendezvoused we were almost at the roads to plant mines, just in time.

Tankicious was madness, I think my tank was shot up from 3 directions. My tank was late to the party, as we had to climb a steep hill to cover our approach, so we ran into an ambush in Stary Sobor. By the time I understood what was happening, the tracks were already gone and soon we went boom.

Highway - poor Takis, it was such a massacre, the quickest convoy mission ever, nicely done.

I'm probably going to add a staging area of sorts for Red Snow before HALOing, so that no-one will have to stare at the loading screen while his body is in freefall. Could also add an area-restricted squadleader teleport in the style of Highway, to make initial positioning easier.

And here's an video of Red Snow, only cut out the boring initial regrouping stuff.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ugh, didn't know you were recording.

My god awful shot with an RPG is available for all to see. :'(

In all fairness, i'm really new to ARMA and that was my first coop mission (played a bit of CTI). Need to get some practise in before the next game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Need to get some practise in before the next game.
    This addon helps a lot in terms of firing AT on the field until you've developed a feel for the weapon.
    Apart from that, practice is overrated, unless you want to fly a helicopter. Why you really won't because you will a) never be as good as Iceraiser and b) have to face the ridicule if you manage to be worse than Alex or Egg (which admittedly is very, very, very hard.). In all seriousness, flying a helicopter in Arma isn't hard at all, especially if you mute all those idiots in your cargo hold.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 26-04-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Red Snow was excellent. You really knocked it out of the park with that one harakka, although I suggest having a couple more light vehicles patrolling the roads around Berezino. Good coordination from everyone too, its an awesome feeling when we manage to pull of coordinated stealthy assaults like that. Combined with our absolute massacre of the convoy in Highway, I think we're getting way, way too competent. No doubt Folk on Sunday will put us back in our places.
    RPS Arma 2 community server!
    Join us for tacticlol manshootery, explosions and helicopter crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph-Sulphur View Post
    No doubt Folk on Sunday will put us back in our places.
    It's I44 joint joint with LDD/CIA on Sunday.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    It's I44 joint joint with LDD/CIA on Sunday.
    Can anyone join that? Also, is it a day mission?

Thanks for the advise RE: learning how to shoot an RPG ;-) I'll check it out.

Can anyone join that? Also, is it a day mission?
    FOLK and ARPS are invited so if you've played with us before and ain't no dick it's no problem. There's a detailed thread on the FOLK forum, you may have to register to be able to view but there might be another thread here in time.

And I'd expect a day mission but can't say for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    FOLK and ARPS are invited so if you've played with us before and ain't no dick it's no problem. There's a detailed thread on the FOLK forum, you may have to register to be able to view but there might be another thread here in time.
    The relevant Folk forum thread is here, just to save you the trouble of searching.

Yea I was that guy who had to disconnect (PC froze so I had to do a hard restart), and yea you can see me later riding that truck with NVG's because it was night for me :D

http://cdn.pimpmyspace.org/media/pms...l/l3/borat.jpg

Nice video harakka, very interesting to see the mission from a different perspective, also I had no idea that my microphone quality was so shitty, :( should fix that.
    I44 sounds interesting, so I should register and introduce myself on the Folk forums?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by Halop View Post
    I44 sounds interesting, so I should register and introduce myself on the Folk forums?
    I'm sure registering would be appreciated, although you're welcome to Folk activities either way. Posting in that Folk thread will help gauge participation though. Also recommend interested parties download the I44 mod beforehand, get it working and check out the basics, there should be a couple of single player missions in there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Thanks for the info. I'll check out the Folk forum.

Some shots from Red Snow

Sweet shots.

Btw.: you can disable that motion blur effect as seen in the first screenshot by either turning post processing down to (very?) low or installing the okt_noblur addon. I feel it gets in the way in tense situations.