Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has anybody here ever been made unemployed before?

Just wondering if anyone's been through this before and how they felt before/after.

My company is announcing some fairly hefty job cuts and I find out my fate tomorrow. Realistically I think I'll be fine but I've worked there a little over 6 years but it actually feels strangely liberating, to the point I almost hope I do get fired as it might be the kick up the bum I need to switch career paths to something I love.

I don't hate my job, but I don't exactly look forward to going in and doing it. Indeed its somewhat galling to think I've now been there this long and yet my foot in the door was a job I simply took to pay the bills.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    More than twice now and currently on the hunt for a new one, people having a permament contract are blessed in these times.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I have, but not out of a job of that length because of obvious over staffing and got treated to last in first out. It totally bounced off me and I got a new job straight after, keep positive but have measures ready in case the worst should happen, maybe write up a new CV? I have no idea how much savings you have, but you don't want to have to hurry into a bad job because you need to cover debts and mortgages.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    The worst part of applying for jobs is that companies that are looking for new employee's never seem to be giving a response when you send them your CV and Sollicitation letter.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    The worst part of applying for jobs is that companies that are looking for new employee's never seem to be giving a response when you send them your CV and Sollicitation letter.
    Truth. I applied for well over a hundred jobs over the course about a year. I started with about one a month before I finished my old job and increased the number, lowering my expectations, once I was done and started running low on money. I applied for everything from design engineer to a working on a hazmat team, actuarial analyst, cable layer, supermarket floor monkey, postdoc research assistant (wildly out of my original field, mind) and healthcare programmer but made it to interview five times in total. The rest were either complete silence (80+%) or a mail-merged rejection that told me nothing about why they weren't interested.

Only ONE rejection was constructive, helpful, and not just copied and pasted from a template. The company responsible was a small, privately owned consultancy.

I got offered an interview for my current job because a recruiter had seen my CV was recently updated on one of the trawling sites. So I have still never succesfully applied for a job; I've been headhunted multiple times. Unfortunately this approach doesn't work if you don't have some very specific niche experience or qualifications (Masters or above, at a guess).
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I haven't been unemployed but i am getting out of Uni and am kind of concerned with getting a job at the moment. One of the things that my Uni is saying to me, is that instead of waiting for a job maybe create your own in a business where your skills are pretty good at. Not to sure how that actually works but it could be an interesting avenue to go down, and something I'm looking at the moment.

I've not been made redundant yet, but my company is making some serious cuts (one plant closed, 50 lay-offs at my site) and I'm told that at one point my job was in the firing line, so I haven't ruled it out in the long run. However I seem to be busier than ever, my department is taking back control of an operation that has been handled very badly elsewhere, training courses keep popping up and the company is re-organising itself so quickly no-one can keep up.

I'm crap at applying for jobs and was headhunted internally for my current position.

@Xercies If you are thinking of starting your own business, make sure you learn all you can about starting and running a business, I know that sounds silly, but many new ventures fail because people just think 'maybe I can make money doing this', and fail to put in the work needed to promote and sustain a company.

I've been made "let go" twice so far. I've worked in a hotel for three years and in a DVD and video game rental store for several months. I'm currently unemployed but I have been looking for work. In my final year of college.
    Can be found on Steam, Evolve and Eve Online.

(_)

( _)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Network Hub
    I have been both sides of the desk in regards to Unemployment.

looking for work, i found it possible to apply for 10 jobs a day, a mixture of proper applications (printed and posted letters etc) and using the numerous trawling sites.

I did that 5 days a week, starting at 0900 and ending at 1700. Being unemployed is your job.

Work that out. I was easily hitting 200+ applications a month. I was unemployed after my last job for a whole month and a half.

I really don't feel that a lot of jobless put enough effort into finding work. And don't give me the whole "but theres not enough jobs to apply for" malarky. Think about it, there are thousands of new jobs advertised every single day. finding 10 of those that are suitable cant be that hard.

I did it, and I dont even have fantastic qualifications.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Fortunately not, though we had to let a few people go from my team a couple of years ago (which was kind of painful). Albeit I'd imagine it might be quite liberating to be let go, in the present climate I must admit I wouldn't look forward to it. Fingers crossed for you OP.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    If you are thinking of starting your own business, make sure you learn all you can about starting and running a business

Yes this is the crux of the matter I'm afraid, I wouldn't really have a clue where to even start making and running a business to be honest. Even my business classes only help a little bit. So much I don't even know about.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Laid off twice and fired once - for asking for a raise.

Massive cuts in funding and personnel have forced me to change careers twice.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Well I'm somewhat relieved to say that I still have a job although shifting reporting lines.

Best of luck to all those presently unemployed, you have my sympathies

@Nullkigan having hired various people over the years I confess I too will have sent my fair share of bland rejection letters for people who didn't get past the C.V. stage. Unfortunately when you have upwards of 50 applications its the only feasible method, at least for someone like me who isn't in HR. If its any consolation I do always make sure to give lengthy feedback to those candidates I interview however.

As a rough guide I'd suggest if you don't get past the C.V. stage its either because your work history/skills seem irrelevant to the role (surprising how often this happens) or there were simply people with more relevant experience.

For those of you soon entering the jobs market the best tips I can give is:
    1) Echo Kamikazi-X in that you need to make your job finding a job. This probably comes naturally to those who've previously been in full time unemployment but I know from my own experience of finishing Uni that its too easy to carry on the lazy ways of Uni.
    2) Temp agencies are your friend. A worrying number of new entrants to the jobs market are unaware of temp agencies and how useful they can be in finding you some work. You're unlikely to get into your chosen field though
    3) Customize your C.V. Having recruited before nothing frustrates me more than people who have clearly pinged off the same C.V. to 100 different companies. You must tailor your C.V. - If you don't care about this job why the hell should I care about you?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Fired for asking for a raise. Jesus.

Way to foster a healthy work environment.

I've lost four of my last six jobs. I've been made redundant twice due to my role disappearing. At one company the entire division was shut down and all employees were let go. The startup I worked out went bankrupt leaving everyone unpaid. I'm currently unemployed. I'm planning to get a boring steady job next, even if it does mean I have to wear a suit :(
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Fired for asking for a raise. Jesus.

Way to foster a healthy work environment.
    Who needs healthy work environments when you have an endless supply of unpaid interns from NYU looking to bolster their resumes? Competence not required.

The two layoffs were both in the public school system. Because of austerity measures, all technology programs have effectively been cut, and with them all technicians.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Unpaid internships are a blight on civilized society.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Unpaid internships are a blight on civilized society.
    Agreed. Which is why I don't listen to any employer that says "just run through our indentured service program for six months and we'll think about hiring you!" No you won't. You'll throw me out after six months because you've come to rely on starry-eyed college students for your grunt labor.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    Well I'm somewhat relieved to say that I still have a job although shifting reporting lines.

Best of luck to all those presently unemployed, you have my sympathies

@Nullkigan having hired various people over the years I confess I too will have sent my fair share of bland rejection letters for people who didn't get past the C.V. stage. Unfortunately when you have upwards of 50 applications its the only feasible method, at least for someone like me who isn't in HR. If its any consolation I do always make sure to give lengthy feedback to those candidates I interview however.

As a rough guide I'd suggest if you don't get past the C.V. stage its either because your work history/skills seem irrelevant to the role (surprising how often this happens) or there were simply people with more relevant experience.

For those of you soon entering the jobs market the best tips I can give is:
    1) Echo Kamikazi-X in that you need to make your job finding a job. This probably comes naturally to those who've previously been in full time unemployment but I know from my own experience of finishing Uni that its too easy to carry on the lazy ways of Uni.
    2) Temp agencies are your friend. A worrying number of new entrants to the jobs market are unaware of temp agencies and how useful they can be in finding you some work. You're unlikely to get into your chosen field though
    3) Customize your C.V. Having recruited before nothing frustrates me more than people who have clearly pinged off the same C.V. to 100 different companies. You must tailor your C.V. - If you don't care about this job why the hell should I care about you?
    I feel an unsanctioned release of rantalogical energies coming on. Brace yourselves!

Most of the ‘bootstraps!’ advice in this thread seems to ignore the current economic climate and increasingly specific demands being placed on recruits. There’s a figure bandied around in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) subject areas; the UK wants hundreds of thousands of new engineers. Except they don’t: they want hundreds of thousands of old, experienced engineers to do very specific tasks that they’re unwilling to train new engineers to do. There’s a 40+% rate of STEM graduate to employment in non-STEM industries for a reason, despite this massive ‘shortfall’.

Tailoring your C.V. to a company takes time and there are usually a dozen other hoops to jump through as well (psychometric tests, their refusal to accept the particular file format you've used, their refusal to accept a CV at all in lieu of a horrible web form, their demand that you give them the form and a strictly re-imagined CV, etc). Going through the same "Describe a time where you have shown leadership skills" question for the tenth time in a week is soul crushing. Even if you're copy and pasting the majority from answers you wrote several months ago.

Whilst your job when unemployed is to find a job, finding 200 per month is a completely unreasonable goal if you're (a) giving them the required level of care and (b) ensuring that you’re an actual good fit for the job by location, finances, experience, etc. Just clicking "submit my CV" on an aggregator doesn't count. There might be a happy medium, but I never found it.

For example:

• as I have a pair of degrees I was not qualified for any graduate roles (too long since my undergraduate course) but lacked the experience for a more senior position. Which I obviously couldn’t have much of because I’d done the second degree. Though I did have some experience on secondments. Jobs in my industry were hard to come by because it’s basically a small number of very large firms who rely on HR robots and a small number of very small consultancies which refuse to gamble on untested grads who will probably be poached after a couple of years anyway.
    • Cross-industry jobs rejected me out of hand because I had the wrong sort of undergrad education even when my postgrad work perfectly matched everything the recruiter had written, down to software experience requirements.
    • Unskilled entry level positions were massively oversubscribed and routinely used the word 'overqualified' when rejecting me. Even when I asked them to disregard the qualifications.
    • General ‘have my CV against future need’ applications got me nothing.
    • Intake applications (so “we have a bunch of vacancies but won’t give the details yet until we’ve seen the candidates”) saw HR put me in pigeon holes that I felt were wrong and indeed, saw me be called on not being a good fit at all (never mind that there was no good fit to begin with, thanks for taking up a week of my time on interviews, examinations, etc, you could at least reimburse my travel). Mostly these were tech firms that had nothing to do with my experiences or abilities, but you apply for whatever you could reasonably learn to do.
    • Temping agencies wouldn't give me any work. They'd happily have me on their books so they could say they had someone with my qualifications, but they never found anyone willing to pay a premium for them and had plenty of other people gasping for work too. I further suspect that a large number of agencies are scams, especially if they approach you first; when I contacted one to be removed from their books I got no response whatsoever. They have a number of my personal details but never did anything for me.

The only thing I never did was blind applications, partly because I'd already covered all the big firms HR sites and most of the consultancies I knew.
    Instead, I trawled a dozen of the more general aggregators daily. In my fields (roughly three disciplines of engineering can describe me right now) I'd get about 50 jobs a day across all sites.

• Ten to twenty would be duplicates, scams, or irrelevant. Fitness Instructor or Waste Technician has nothing to do with Engineering, and whilst I'd take a bad job to tide me over until I find a better one I'm not going to relocate three counties over for minimum wage. Especially when I’d been getting almost twice that on my secondments.
    • Three to five jobs would be worth applying for, so I did.
    • The rest would have impossible requirements in terms of experience with unique or bespoke tools. It was always fun when a job was listed as 'all applicants considered' on an aggregator, then 'minimum 8 years experience, chartership, fluent in two foreign languages, 18k pa' on the site of the firm in question. I’m not even making that up.

Whew.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

I have to concur with Nullkigan.

You get a lot of "need 5+ years experience and a post-graduate degree for an entry-level position that pays $35k" bullshit that basically tells you that it's an employer's market and they're taking full advantage of the last decade's anemic job growth and the last year's massive recession.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl