Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 95
  1. #1
    Lesser Hivemind Node Drayk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Europe's capital
    Posts
    565

    DOTA 2: RPS community ?

    EDIT:

    A bit to late coz there are other threads around but here is some basic info on the RPS DOTA 2 community

    1. Steam Group
    2. Members spreadsheet
    3. Inhouse game commented by Randomgerbil

    ----------

    Hi guys,

    I got invited in DOTA 2 last week and i just played two games. I find it quite interesting, I never played a MOBA before but I am willing to play a bit.

    Are you guys playing DOTA 2, do you have any tips for a beginner ? Do you have a special group on steam ?

    Having read some nasty things about the community I would prefer to play with the nicer folks from RPS...

    Cheers,

    Drayk
    Last edited by Drayk; 20-08-2012 at 03:05 PM.

  2. #2
    Obscure Node Hou5ter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6
    I would love to play Dota 2 with you! Im a little new to the Dotas and the 2s but ive played some (WC3) Dota games.
    If you are at all intrested in playing with me my name on steam is: Hou5ter!

  3. #3
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2
    There really aren't any shortcuts to get better, you just have to play a lot. Though you could spare yourself from a lot of rage from your team (and probably win more) if you dont pick carries so often, as you aren't that good yet. Carries are the late game classes, that "carry" your team to victory. They require a lot of farming and knowledge how to engage your fights. What I would suggest is to go for supports for a while to get a feeling for the game. Lich, Vengeful Spirit, Crystal Maiden for example.

    As a supports its crucial to buy a courier for your team (so that people can get items from the shop without leaving the lane), upgrade the courier to a flying one when you can and keep wards up (a ward provides vision around itself). All of these you can buy from the shop.

    When you are in lane, play careful and do NOT auto-attack the creeps (dont just stand still and let your character hit the enemy creeps). Move around all the time a bit so you dont do that. Thats because if you attack enemy creeps all the time, the lane will get pushed because the enemy creeps die faster than your creeps (the creepwave will be closer to enemy tower) and it leaves you vulnerable to ganks (when someone comes from another lane to kill you, its called a gank. Previously mentioned wards, that give map vision, will hopefully let you see them coming and give time for you to back out). When your creeps are >50% hp, you can also attack them. By attacking your own creeps, the lane gets pushed towards your tower, which is ideal. A large part of the laning phase is getting the last hit on the enemy creeps (you get money), and getting the last hit on your creeps (you deny a portion of the xp the enemies get from that creep and also you deny the money they would get). However, if you decide to play supportish, you often need to let your laning partner (initiator, carry, something else) get the last hits, cause he will make more use of the gold (hopefully). In this situation, focus on hitting your creeps when they are >50% and trying to get the deny on your creeps. Another thing to focus on is harassing the enemy heroes (especially if you are a ranged support). However while harassing you need to be careful not to take significantly more damage than you are dealing.

    If you play by those tips, you will already be a better player than most of the players that have not played much!
    As a general rule, play a lot of different heroes and always carefully read what their abilities are. After you know what each hero can do the only thing you need to do is to think a bit in advance. If you run there, can they just stun you and kill you? If you stun that hero, is it an easy kill? And so forth.

    Also, prepare to be raged and yelled at. It'll take a lot of games to get good. And when you think you are finally any good, it is most important to realize that you are still shit. A huge number of players are cocky and arrogant, but only a few have the right to be.

    Try to have fun!

  4. #4
    Yes please. I'm always looking for more nice folk to play these games with, rather than those shouty bad men. I've got a Mumble server we can use. it's only 15 slot, but it'll do for now. If tons of people start using it, I'll be happy to up the capacity. I've got a decent amount of experience, and I'll be happy to mentor newbies as well. My contact details below.

    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Randomgerbil

    Mumble:
    IP: 85.236.101.45 Port:1912

    Feel free to add the server info to the OP.

    I look forward to playing with you.

  5. #5
    Lesser Hivemind Node Drayk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Europe's capital
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by etusa View Post
    There really aren't any shortcuts to get better, you just have to play a lot. Though you could spare yourself from a lot of rage from your team (and probably win more) if you dont pick carries so often, as you aren't that good yet. Carries are the late game classes, that "carry" your team to victory. They require a lot of farming and knowledge how to engage your fights. What I would suggest is to go for supports for a while to get a feeling for the game. Lich, Vengeful Spirit, Crystal Maiden for example.

    As a supports its crucial to buy a courier for your team (so that people can get items from the shop without leaving the lane), upgrade the courier to a flying one when you can and keep wards up (a ward provides vision around itself). All of these you can buy from the shop.

    When you are in lane, play careful and do NOT auto-attack the creeps (dont just stand still and let your character hit the enemy creeps). Move around all the time a bit so you dont do that. Thats because if you attack enemy creeps all the time, the lane will get pushed because the enemy creeps die faster than your creeps (the creepwave will be closer to enemy tower) and it leaves you vulnerable to ganks (when someone comes from another lane to kill you, its called a gank. Previously mentioned wards, that give map vision, will hopefully let you see them coming and give time for you to back out). When your creeps are >50% hp, you can also attack them. By attacking your own creeps, the lane gets pushed towards your tower, which is ideal. A large part of the laning phase is getting the last hit on the enemy creeps (you get money), and getting the last hit on your creeps (you deny a portion of the xp the enemies get from that creep and also you deny the money they would get). However, if you decide to play supportish, you often need to let your laning partner (initiator, carry, something else) get the last hits, cause he will make more use of the gold (hopefully). In this situation, focus on hitting your creeps when they are >50% and trying to get the deny on your creeps. Another thing to focus on is harassing the enemy heroes (especially if you are a ranged support). However while harassing you need to be careful not to take significantly more damage than you are dealing.

    If you play by those tips, you will already be a better player than most of the players that have not played much!
    As a general rule, play a lot of different heroes and always carefully read what their abilities are. After you know what each hero can do the only thing you need to do is to think a bit in advance. If you run there, can they just stun you and kill you? If you stun that hero, is it an easy kill? And so forth.

    Also, prepare to be raged and yelled at. It'll take a lot of games to get good. And when you think you are finally any good, it is most important to realize that you are still shit. A huge number of players are cocky and arrogant, but only a few have the right to be.

    Try to have fun!
    Hey that's exactly the kind of tips I needed.

    Ok I put you guys on my steam list. Hope to see you around.

  6. #6
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19
    All you fine chaps seem like awesome company to play DotA with. Add me on Steam and I'll invite you to my parties I try to keep hostility free (well, there's some funny flaming for laughs, but no one should rage like the pubs) :D

    http://steamcommunity.com/id/kohr-ah

  7. #7
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2
    I would be in (I made an account on this form just to post in here), I don't play as much as I want and that's mostly cos playing by myself is no fun add me im Blurr11

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by UrQuan View Post
    All you fine chaps seem like awesome company to play DotA with. Add me on Steam and I'll invite you to my parties I try to keep hostility free (well, there's some funny flaming for laughs, but no one should rage like the pubs) :D

    http://steamcommunity.com/id/kohr-ah
    I went to add you to my friends list and I saw this:
    Helloyou.JPG

    Aparently, I got pub-stomped by you. Small world.

  9. #9
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19
    Not a nice way to meet someone, to be honest, with an 12-1 Windrunner :D. Might've seemed like a jerk there, from all the messing around :P. We were actually three there, with the other two with the tag being another arranged duo.

  10. #10
    Is it too late for me to get in on this? Got my beta key a couple of weeks ago. I've been playing against bots since as I didn't want to ruin anyone's pub game by being really rubbish as I've heard bad things about the community.

    It would be nice to play some games against/with others who aren't hell bent on winning every game and won't scream the air blue if I make mistakes.

    I started off with Sniper as he seemed the easiest to get to grips with (even though he's a carry). I tried out Shadow Shamen, Necrolyte and Lion last night and did ok with them. I have been playing against the "Easier" bots so far but am finding it difficult as 4 of them will group up and will wipe the majority of my team (starting with me) and then will stick together for the rest of the game bashing any of my team that tries to look for an opening (doesn't help that one of my team will say "pushing mid" then when I join them they run off the other way!). We still somehow win, but I think that's more down to the opposition teams stupidity at times than outplaying them!

    Thanks to etusa for the tips for noobs above, I've been leaving auto-hit on and consequently farming but pushing towards the opposition tower. I'll turn it off and see how I get on.

    My SteamID is as my name (I even have the same profile image):

    http://steamcommunity.com/id/Runciter/

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by UrQuan View Post
    Not a nice way to meet someone, to be honest, with an 12-1 Windrunner :D. Might've seemed like a jerk there, from all the messing around :P. We were actually three there, with the other two with the tag being another arranged duo.
    Oh don't worry, we were a four, with a rouge omni-knight. I don't mind getting stomped occasionaly, so long as I can stomp as well, on the odd occasion :P

    I'll set up an in game chat channel and a steam group tonight. If get enough players, we can start playing in houses and mentoring new guys and all that good stuff.

    I'm excited now :3
    Last edited by Randomgerbil; 27-04-2012 at 05:31 PM.

  12. #12
    Lesser Hivemind Node Drayk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Europe's capital
    Posts
    565
    I am gonna play one game or two tonight when the kids and wife are asleep.

    Played one game with Odin yesterday, was awful with it, but we manage to win (mostly beacause we go carried by a really good player).

  13. #13
    So, I've set up the steam group and crudely shooped a logo. If anyone can do better, contact me.

    Here's the URL: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RPSDota

    I recomend we put this stuff in the OP.

  14. #14
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire
    Posts
    386
    I play it occasionally, PSO2 has been taking up my Gaming Time lately so I haven't been on it so often lately. I have a terrible, terrible habit of giving people my ids and then not playing with them so I don't know if I should post mine here yet....

  15. #15
    Activated Node ezekiel2517's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    91
    I am semi-experienced, but vs bots only and in the first DotA. Haven't really played this one for a fear of the hostile community as well.

    Just joined the group.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicolor View Post
    I play it occasionally, PSO2 has been taking up my Gaming Time lately so I haven't been on it so often lately. I have a terrible, terrible habit of giving people my ids and then not playing with them so I don't know if I should post mine here yet....
    I know what you mean about not always being able to / wanting to play. Just join the group and don't worry about being able to play all the time. I'm loving it at the moment so am playing it a lot, but I've got a whole host of games on Steam that I have hardly played so I need to give some time to those (just pre-ordered Torchlight 2) and will probably pick up Toy Soldiers before the end of the day. I'm also playing quite a few games against bots on my own so I can get used to the heroes.

  17. #17
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    232
    Joined as well. :) So far I have played just a few games by myself against bots to practice last hitting and get at least somewhat familiar with the heroes. I'd be up for some games, be it coop against bots or normal games.

  18. #18
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire
    Posts
    386
    Well I just went ahead and joined it anyway so maybe I will actually play it again eventually.

  19. #19
    Well, I've played quite a few games with you lot over the course of the weekend, and I thouroughly enjoyed myself. Some of you have a lot to learn, but I'm confident we can get you up to speed, and in a friendly enviroment too! The Steam group is growing, and in time I think we'll be able to arange fairly balanced 5v5 games.

  20. #20
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    42
    Hey folks ! Count me in !
    i'm totally shite at Dota2, used to be littlelessshit at LoL, still alittlelessshit at SotIS (sc2 dota-like map which was good at some point in the time).

    steam name's xelnagazchild

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •