Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node

Mass Effect; Never Played It; Advice

So someone talked me into trying out the Mass Effect series. So tired of sword and sorcery I could cry anyway, and I have never played a Mass Effect game.

My question for any friendly RPS Readers is: Do I start with the first game? I was told it is lacking compared with 2 and 3, but it seems somehow...wrong...to not begin there. Any recommendations are welcome.

Thanks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Play the first game, definitely. It sets up the universe, arguably has the best story, a good set of characters and mechanically is fine. Not amazing, but it works. If you like what's presented to you by the end of it, get 2 and see how you feel with that and the same with that into 3.

There'll probably be a lot of people who say "The ending of 3 ruins the entire series!" blardy blah, but don't let that concern you right away. If you have some interest, get the first one and try it out.

Also, play as Female Shepard.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    play the first game (and do play as femshep) and then pretend it's the only game in the series.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Play them in sequence and import the save games as you go, there's really no other way to play. Trying to start with a later one means you miss out on a fair chunk of the story from the other one as well as lots of little minor plot points which can carry through all the way to the final game.

The combat in ME2 and ME3 is much better than in ME1; the first game's combat is fairly boring and a bit clunky, it gets better as the series progresses. People complain about ME2 removing a lot of powers and such but they were re-added in ME3. Also lots of people complain that ME2's story isn't as good as 1, but it's important to remember that ME2 is really a bridge between 1 and 3, so it can't resolve any major plot points. It does have much better interaction with the major characters though.

And yeah the ending is a little ridiculous, but it doesn't invalidate the rest of the fun you'll have (despite what people will tell you). It's a great series. It's not the messiah of game writing, it's not Planescape: Torment with spaceships and blue aliens, but it is extremely entertaining.
    Last edited by soldant; 27-04-2012 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Typo

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Femshep ftw!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Skip the sidequests.

The combat in the first game is clunky, but if you can get over that it's probably the most well rounded of the three from a story perspective. More than anything the ME games are games about characters, the overall plot arc becomes convoluted and riddled with plot holes, but the story of the characters you meet is pretty great and holds the whole thing together. You don't really want to miss the introduction of some of the characters by skipping 1.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    It's popular for some reason, but don't bother with the sequels if you don't like the first game. They're slicker and shootier but no more interesting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I can only reiterate what people said: Play 'em all, in order, keep the savegames as you go, and play femshep.

Hell, by the time you finish (this is prolly a 100+ hour investment) EA Bioware will have edited the final ending. :P
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub Capt. Eduardo del Mango's Avatar
    I'd never had a go at them either (the Zero Punctuation reviews seem to match my tastes pretty well and his vedict was "well written dull FPS in space"), but bought ME2 and... Thought it was a well written dull FPS in space, got bored after three hours and gave up. Reading this, though, I'll have a go at ME1 and see if engenders any more attachment to the characters (apparently the primary motivation for continuing through).

For what it's worth, the point where ME2 got switched off was when my Astro-PA said of my big basilisk/tiger power-armour suited mate that she "Just wanted to give him a hug and tell him everything was going to be all right", and there was no option to smash the heel of your boot into her face and throw her out of an airlock.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Eduardo del Mango View Post
    For what it's worth, the point where ME2 got switched off was when my Astro-PA said of my big basilisk/tiger power-armour suited mate that she "Just wanted to give him a hug and tell him everything was going to be all right", and there was no option to smash the heel of your boot into her face and throw her out of an airlock.
    Dude. Garrus is awesome, and anyone who wants to hug him is awesome by proxy (if a bit of a dork).
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You have to start with the first one - my advice is to set the difficulty low and just hammer through the story and get a feel for the game. You should get drawn into that aspect of it and be glad that some of the random quest/mission stuff is just easily knocked-on-the-head (and the combat can be a bit ropey too - so just turn that difficulty down).

You aren't playing ME games for the detailed combat or tedious exploration bits anyway - it's all about the story/characters/experience - hell, if you love it you can go back and try it on 'harder', later.

Let me repeat what Sabrage said: Skip the sidequests! Unless a party member asks you to do it, it's a waste of time in a cookie cutter environment.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    beware the mako.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    To back up the rest of the advice, as well as my own, I also advise you to not play as a soldier. It gets stuff done, but it's rather boring.