Steam and Iron - a few questions

Did anyone here end up buying Steam and Iron? It was featured here on RPS in one of the Flare Path articles. Personally, I tried out the demo, and I've read over the features list on the store a few times, but $35 to a company I don't really know and haven't really heard any testimonies about outside of the Flare Path (and, unfortunately, none were in the comments :/) for a game with very, very simplistic graphics and demo scenarios that last what feels like all of a minute or two, I'm just not sure. There was a review on Wargamer.com that seemed absolutely glowing with praise (pretty much saying that with the addition of the promised campaign, it could be the golden standard for WWI naval simulations), but it didn't answer all the questions I had about it.

I mean, I kind of enjoy the game, but there are a few concerns, and if someone here has bought it, I'd definitely appreciate a response.

1. Though Admiral mode and such exist, it seems like the meat of the game is really in Captain mode, and after playing the demo, it seems like Captain mode would probably be the way to go if you really want to ensure victory. On the under-manned side, it seemed like I was having issues with the AI aiming all over the place. The Wargamer review says that with more than 5 ships, it's a bit of a pain. Due to the limited nature of the demo, I haven't really been able to try it out. Do you have to set the aim again at every pause? Or is something else a bit irritating?

2. I know there's a scenario editor, but how many scenarios does the game come with? It's nice and all to be able to make scenarios and download everyone else's, but at $35, it would be nice to know there's some meat to the base game. I get that they demo 7 of them, but for all I know, there could only be 10.

3. How much modding is available/are they talking about making available? Without a multiplayer mode available, I'm just wondering how much can be done to increase replayability, including possibly modding in multiplayer.

Thanks in advance. To some people, $35 might not seem like much, but I'd just like to be sure ahead of time that it'd be a worthy investment.
    Last edited by johnki; 09-06-2012 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Changed title

Activated Node
    Hi

I cannot answer all the questions, but:

1) I'm not sure I'd agree with "the meat of the game" being the Captain's (micromanagement) Mode. For me, loss of a certain amount of control is what the game "realistic" and absorbing. It mimicks what I have read on the topic - the inevitable Castles of Steel/Rules of the Game/Death in the Grey Wastes/Halpern. I have found the AI to be very credible against those accounts. Nonetheless, if you enjoy the Captain's mode (more to do) then that's what it is there for! To your particular question, I will fire up some Captain games and see if I can answer.
    2) About 30
    3) You can design your own ships as well as scenarios. In terms of multiplayer, that sounds like some serious surgery. I very much doubt that level - but I suggest posting at the game forum. The designer (Frederik Wallin) is great at responding there.

http://forums.navalwarfare.net/forum...AIGN-SIMULATOR

NWS are a tiny outfit, but they have been around a long time, are naval fanatics and provide a LOT of support and updates. their store also often offers good prices on a range of games. The designer has been very responsive to suggestions and quations, building in suggested changes (game speeds, mouse functionality etc etc). I realise I sound like NWS PR Department, but my experiences with them have been excellent.

As you can guess, I think SAI is an excellent game...

Thanks for the response. It's always nice to just to hear more praise on its part.

Yeah, reading up on NWS, it seems like most of the praise has been in realism, with the one game netting them a Usenet award. I have no doubt it's a great experience, I just was concerned it wasn't "$35 great", what with games being so light on content recently. I also have no problem supporting small/unknown outfits, but I always go in a bit cautious. Great intentions don't always mean great games.

I had a feeling multiplayer was a far off dream for the modding capabilities, but if people can mod Skyrim to have multiplayer, I figured I'd at least ask. Knowing that you can design ships and scenarios alike makes me think that as long as there's even a small, but active community, there should be no shortage of new scenarios to find. :)

I think I will ask about multiplayer on the forums. I was just shocked to see that even local multiplayer wasn't available. I don't think it'd be that hard to make a mode that waits for two sets of orders before running the turn, but it might not be in their plans.

I think, hearing that they're responsive, provide support, and have a decent amount of content, on top of allowing the integral part of gameplay (new ships) to be modded, I might get it when I have the ability to.

Oh, I heard there's a campaign coming?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I can't vouch for the game, but I can certainly vouch for NWS as a vendor. I've bought quite a few things from them over the years and they've always been very good and very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I can't vouch for the game, but I can certainly vouch for NWS as a vendor. I've bought quite a few things from them over the years and they've always been very good and very reliable.
    Still haven't found anything about the campaign that's supposedly coming, but after hearing they're a great company, and reading up on what little I found about it on the Wargamer forums, where people seem to love the AI, I think I'm most definitely going to buy it.

I wish I could remember where I saw the list of reviews for it though. Most of them seem to be blogs and smaller sites, but I'd still have loved to post it for anyone else that's curious.

Activated Node
    Sorry, i still owe you a bit more of answer on your point1) re targetting - but I got rather deflected by the Euro 2012 and another game...

Here is the list of reviews listed by NWS themselves:

http://forums.navalwarfare.net/showt...0845#post50845

[I don't work for them, honest!]