Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Gotta love how passive aggressive Kadayi is.

Say what you like about him, but that man really knows how to be an irritating flat mate.

In fairness to Kad, he hasn't actually said anything offensive. He's a master. Although I do suspect that too much was read into his initial comment even so.
    Last edited by SanguineAngel; 27-04-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SanguineAngel View Post
    In fairness to Kad, he hasn't actually said anything offensive. He's a master.
    srsly. He always perfectly skirts the borders of socially acceptable insults, usually with borderline prodding at weak points.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    srsly. He always perfectly skirts the borders of socially acceptable insults, usually with borderline prodding at weak points.
    You don't find it odd that the guys complaint with ME2 was that he couldn't brutalize and murder his crew? Even if we skip over it being a female character, it's kind of out there in the depths of 'really?' R-F.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    You don't find it odd that the guys complaint with ME2 was that he couldn't brutalize and murder his crew? Even if we skip over it being a female character, it's kind of out there in the depths of 'really?' R-F.
    Well yeah, it was obviously a fatuous comment though. Also your own comment seemed pretty tongue in cheek.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    My question for any friendly RPS Readers is: Do I start with the first game? I was told it is lacking compared with 2 and 3, but it seems somehow...wrong...to not begin there. Any recommendations are welcome.

Thanks.
    I only recently started playing the Mass Effect Series. I started with Mass Effect 1 and really enjoyed it overall, it took quite a long time for me to finish it if I'm being honest, I found the storey took quite a while to "grab me" I think I played the first half of the game over 6 weeks and then It hits a point where the storey becomes more driven, or at least it feels like it's more a race against time and that when it got it's hooks into me. I cleared the second half inside a week. By the end I really liked it and booted the second game up pretty much instantly (I'd picked up ME 1 & 2 during a steam sale at Xmas)

The second one I enjoyed a lot more, I found the interface alot better and the storey was alot more immediate (not that it rushes you or anything) and I devoured it within a couple of weeks start to finsih.

I'd recommend starting with 1 for sure. A lot of the enjoyment is seeing similar places and changes from the first, cameos from reoccuring characters and the whole mood is driven by the events in the 1st.

I'm not sure what I would have thought of the storey on it's own if it wasn't a continuation of a saga I'd been playing through already.

As soon as I get over my distaste for paying full price for a Origins download I'll be picking up the 3rd.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I got bored of ME1 very quickly. Unlikeable characters, annoying conversations, annoying combat and an apparently very predictable and generic setting and story. Of course, all of those could have improved later in the game, but I couldn't be bothered to find out.

But considering the franchise it's spawned what do i know..

Lesser Hivemind Node
    First off, I apologize for not getting back to everyone sooner. I am an American chap, and after playing - and loving - the Demo for ME2 last night, I posted this before bed. Thought I might have one or two replies when I arrived at work on this (as usual, slow) Friday morning.

Wow. I was wholly unprepared for this. And thoroughly underestimated the passion of the community for these games. And here I thought ME was just a series people sort of liked 'when they weren't playing Oblivion or Skyrim.' Seems I was happily mistaken.

Begin with ME1: Was already getting this feeling, just from the Demo of 2. Even in that 30 or so minutes, I could tell I had missed A LOT of stuff. Cerberus says "You have a history" but I felt like it went deeper than that. Possibly much more so. So, beginning with 1 is important to me. Thanks for this advice.

The consensus seems to be: Begin with ME1; do the sidequests; play as Femshep. I will likely heed all of this advice based on the following:

Side quests: Love choices and consequences. Much more concerned with role playing my version of Shep and how he/she would handle things. So I will make RP choices, not "I want a happy-hunky-dory universe" choices. If it gets dark and grim, I live with the consequences, as in Witcher 2 (that extended ending was not happy.) I actually like that though.

FemShep: I found the voice acting for HimShep (couldn't resist) to be a little...weak. It wasn't bad; maybe I just got to accustomed to Geralt's half talk/half growl thing. Don't know. I just thought the male Sheperd was a little...too polite/soft sounding, maybe.

From what I hear FemShep has far better voice acting. And that matters. I will likely go this route. Plus, the idea of a tough heroine pulling the galaxy together actually appeals to me. After all my male Skyrim characters and the default male protagonist in most other games, it would be a nice change of pace, I think. But that voice acting does matter, too.

Thanks again to everyone. Seems ME is something about which people are very passionate. That's a good thing; makes me think this is worth getting into. Couple that with the fact that even good Sword and Sorcery games like Witcher 2 make me want to cry right now with boredom (need a break from the genre et al for a time) I think the time has come to catch up on ME.

So, thanks again. Will pick up game 1 this weekend.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Trying to avoid spoilers on this thread, but: the baddies have a plan that they use to win every time, yet in ME3 they don't try to follow anything resembling that plan, even though they presumably could. Also in ME1 Sovereign needed to try some complicated plotting to bring his friends back, whereas in ME3 we discover they can use turn up pretty much on a whim anyway... why not just do that instead?
    ME1 they had an easy back door. ME3 they had to come in the hard way. It gave us a 30 month leeway.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

If you don't do the sidequests, you wouldn't get to shoot monkeys in a tank, which is the best part about having that stupid tank in the first place.

Though really, I wish they had kept the Mako. Exploring planets is fun, they just did a terrible job of it in ME1. If they had spent some time improving the terrain so it wasn't half made of jagged knives, scattered a little more interesting landscape features, and improved the handling of the Mako, it would have been fine. Beats the pants off of scanning planets anyway.

I'm playing through from the beginning right now. I only made it half-way through ME2, due to distraction caused life circumstances at the time. I could hardly remember what was going on with the various side-stories (which I do think add quite a lot), so thought I might as well play through ME1 again before completing 2 and moving on to 3.

I had forgotten how wonky it is - the controls and combat really are clunky as hell. Still, I'm enjoying the revisit, and playing as a phenomenal space-jerk this time around.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleLikeFrank View Post
    Though really, I wish they had kept the Mako. Exploring planets is fun, they just did a terrible job of it in ME1. If they had spent some time improving the terrain so it wasn't half made of jagged knives, scattered a little more interesting landscape features, and improved the handling of the Mako, it would have been fine. Beats the pants off of scanning planets anyway.
    I found it the otherway round to be honest, the Mako annoyed the hell out of me.

Never had a issue with scanning planets, I only needed it to do a handful of scanning sessions and only when I needed the resources for a upgrade, I wasn't compelled to scan each and every planet nor did I need to to afford about 90% of the upgrades. Think the only thing I didn't pick up during the game was the upgraded medical bay. Plus it was always fun to stumble across a enemy camp and land for a scrap.

I'm not sure why it's so hated by everyone? Did people just decide to try and get it all out of the way in one go and spend hours constantly scanning or something?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Also Nalano kind had the right to suggest he should play femshep, the dude asked advice and he provided it.
    Not only is my word not law (inorite?), but I wasn't even the first person to suggest it. But yeah, Jennifer Hale, stand-up performance.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Sarigs View Post
    I found it the otherway round to be honest, the Mako annoyed the hell out of me.

Never had a issue with scanning planets, I only needed it to do a handful of scanning sessions and only when I needed the resources for a upgrade, I wasn't compelled to scan each and every planet nor did I need to to afford about 90% of the upgrades. Think the only thing I didn't pick up during the game was the upgraded medical bay. Plus it was always fun to stumble across a enemy camp and land for a scrap.

I'm not sure why it's so hated by everyone? Did people just decide to try and get it all out of the way in one go and spend hours constantly scanning or something?
    For me it's just that exploration is more fun than straight-up resource gathering. The implementation of exploration was crap, but like I said, I felt it could have been good with some more development effort.

I didn't choose to grind all the scanning out at once, but even so it felt grind-y - just a chore I had to complete to not be disadvantaged.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleLikeFrank View Post
    For me it's just that exploration is more fun than straight-up resource gathering. The implementation of exploration was crap, but like I said, I felt it could have been good with some more development effort.

I didn't choose to grind all the scanning out at once, but even so it felt grind-y - just a chore I had to complete to not be disadvantaged.
    Oh I get ya and can see why. The Mako/terrain issues/the actual "prizes" for exploring were so poor as you say that it just left me irritated when ever the Mako landed. If you were lucky you'd stumble across a Moon Base/Mine/Prefab complete but they all had identical layouts. " FFS Joke just drop me on top of the objective already!"

Where as with the planet scanning the few times that I did stumble across a anomaly (and I only did a few times) they were all unique and interesting, Geth Weather Stations/Teraforming stations, Mercenary bases that it was a genuine pleasure to track them down and explore.

Oddly, I found the combat in ME1 totally enjoyable and fun on my recent playthrough, even though they get better in ME2 and maybe decline a bit in ME3 because of that bloody space bar!!!

Network Hub Capt. Eduardo del Mango's Avatar
    I fear the lady doth protest to much. Yes naturally you were joking, you're quite clearly a well balanced individual I can see that now.
    You accuse somebody of something so disgusting as supporting sexual violence, and then treat their anger at being called that unreasonable?

So your dislike of the game stems from your inability to beat up and murder women?
    I 'protest too much'? After you say I want to beat up and murder real women after I made a comment about a computer game character? Hey Kadayi, what if my wife had been raped by a former partner? What if my sister was beaten by an abusive boyfriend? What if someone who likes to 'beat up and murder women' has ruined my life, or ruined the life of someone I care about? And 'cos I've made a comment about being violent towards an individual whose gender is incidental to the event in a game that's absolutely full of violence, you're saying I support hurting real women because of their gender.

Do you have any idea how fucking offensive that could be, given my history and what's happened to people I care about? No, of course not, because you're obviously some sort of asshole. I did check in the RPS Steam chatroom by the way - apparently you're known as an asshole and that I shouldn't be surprised.

You've called me one of the most disgusting things it's possible to call someone, and then gone "Oh lol butthurt the lady doth protest too much! lol u mad bro?"

You're scum, pal. Fucking scum. You've said something very, very offensive to me and I've got an eye on you.
    Last edited by Capt. Eduardo del Mango; 27-04-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    ME1 they had an easy back door. ME3 they had to come in the hard way. It gave us a 30 month leeway.
    Well that's part of the point. When you're on a 50,000 year timetable, you wouldn't care about 30 months. Also in ME3 they seemed to forget what other advantages they got from their "show up at the citadel" plan.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Also one thing you might take in mind is that the mass effect games are all different game of genre's, kind of. The first is more an RPG with guns, the second is a Action RPG hybrid and the third is full on action.
    Nah. Wasteland is an RPG with guns. Mass Effect is an extremely light action RPG while the others are third person shooters.

It's a fair comment. One of the worst things about modern BioWare games is that you can't actually shoot and kill characters freely. This is anti-RPG and is therefore a valid criticism for someone who values that in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Well that's part of the point. When you're on a 50,000 year timetable, you wouldn't care about 30 months. Also in ME3 they seemed to forget what other advantages they got from their "show up at the citadel" plan.
    Yeah this is, for me, the most jarring thing about the plot of ME's 2 & 3 for several reasons. Mainly, the timescales discussed mean that I can't understand why Sovereign's crew would attempt their initial plan. Surely they wouldn't see any advantages?

Also, the time it takes them to get into the picture.... seems oddly speedy given the distance and lack of instantaneous transport.

Hopefully that's vague enough.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Nah. Wasteland is an RPG with guns. Mass Effect is an extremely light action RPG while the others are third person shooters.
    Here we go again...