Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Hub

Anyone interested in/excited for/aroused by Alice: Madness Returns?

So Alice: Madness Returns is released tomorrow here in ol' Blighty, are any RPS readers/members of the Hivemind at all interested in picking it up?

I really like the aesthetic style it has, and would probably have preordered it already if it was available on Steam. But £35 for it from a Digital service I havent used yet (and dont really want to), is making me think I'll wait until it's cheap at retail and make an .iso of the disc :/

I've been eyeballing it. Got money I set aside for DNF, but nixed that purchase.

The graphics and art look stellar, I agree, I like it too. Gameplay . . . I'd have to see a Let's Play of it or something. One memorable quote of the first Alice:

Quote Originally Posted by Computer Games Magazine
    the stunning art direction writes checks the gameplay can't possibly cash. Playing Alice is a stunningly average experience.
    Haven't played the first either.

Until I saw the reviews, yeah.

Here's one by our very own Quintin Smith.
    Last edited by Rii; 16-06-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I'll play it for the graphics, the story and the art.

Not necessarily this weekend, but in the near future. Probably at first sale, though I'd like to own a retail copy. Mhmm.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Potentially interested, but just like FEAR 3, it's hardly something I'm going tu buy at full price and most likely, I will buy it once it enters the bargain bucket.

I was, until I discovered that the 'bonus' inclusion of the original game is only available on consoles(Amazon pre-order bonus was....the soundtrack!*snore*), the maxed weapons are DLC(!), and, as Rii stated, the reviews have been, uh, at best, 'charitable'.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignorant Texan View Post
    I was, until I discovered that the 'bonus' inclusion of the original game is only available on consoles(Amazon pre-order bonus was....the soundtrack!*snore*), the maxed weapons are DLC(!), and, as Rii stated, the reviews have been, uh, at best, 'charitable'.
    EA's store would lead me to believe you get original game included with the preorder, along with the soundtrack, dlc etc.

Probably ONLY the ea store, mind.... sigh

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    I love the aesthetic, but the less than overwhelming critical response means it's firmly in the 'when it hits sale time' purchasing bracket.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    I love the aesthetic, but the less than overwhelming critical response means it's firmly in the 'when it hits sale time' purchasing bracket.
    Yeah, this is pretty much my line of thinking. It's a real pity, too. Most games just completely underwhelm me artistically (we seem to be all graphics and no art as a medium) and I was hoping this one would scratch the itch nicely.

There's quite a long quick look of the game at giantbomb, where in Ryan takes you through the first half an hour or so.

http://www.giantbomb.com/alice-madne...25371/reviews/

They seemed to like it.

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Network Hub
    Yea I watched that earlier. Seems quite fun to me... certainly not seeing anything that turns me off it.

Surprised to hear from Quins review that its 20 odd hours though oO

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    I like looking at the game, but I still remember how frustrating the first one was, so I won't be getting this one until it's cheap unless I see something that really seals the deal.

I've read a number of reviews that really liked it. I get the sense the gameplay is pretty particular and won't appeal to everybody. The interesting thing to me is that the reader reviews across a number of websites are really, really high compared to the review scores. These always must be taken with a grain of salt, but I've got me some hopes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I'm with the Giant Bomb guy, I could really go for a platformer... I just don't know if this is it. That lava level looked like shit.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Never played the first Alice, but the whole twisted child's tale thing just doesn't do it for me. For that matter, I think Tim Burton's turned into a predictable hack. Will anyone break me of my preconceptions that the Alice games are Burtonesque dross?

Rather bizarrely and without any notice A:MR is available now on Steam. This EA Valve dispute grows ever more interesting.

Will probably purchase when hits a 25 - 50% sale.

Probable Replicant

Network Hub
    It's actually a pretty fun platformer. Good enough graphics, good combat and nice levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Until I saw the reviews, yeah.

Here's one by our very own Quintin Smith.
    5 for Alice from the same site that uncritically fellates every Call of Doody...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Rather bizarrely and without any notice A:MR is available now on Steam. This EA Valve dispute grows ever more interesting.

Will probably purchase when hits a 25 - 50% sale.
    Yeah, I noticed this too. Seriously odd.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    But direct2drive is still promoting Alice as "Not Available on Steam". Which is no longer true. Are they... are they allowed to do that?

Also, of the other three they're promoting as Not Available on Steam, one is Crysis 2, one is Brink (which they're not pointing out still requires Steam to play) and the other is Hunted: The Demon's Forge. Brink and Hunted... is Bethesda involved, too?
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of naïveté. It's naïveté turned inside-out. Naïveté wearing a sneer." -Momus

Brink and Hunted are both available in the US from Steam, so must be a UK thing.

Turns out the DLC and remastered Alice were an Origin only preorder bonus on PC, and have apparently now been removed from Origin. http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1934543 I imagine the DLC will be available sometime in the not too distant future and I hope the original Alice will be on released on GOG.

icupnimpc2 -

While it's possible that the original AMG's Alice was influenced by other Tim Burton films, I have difficulty in seeing how a game released 10 years before TB's Alice was released could be influenced by it.
    Last edited by Ignorant Texan; 17-06-2011 at 10:10 PM.