Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Guys? Guys, let me in! Come on, I know you're in there, surely there's more room for- oh shit! No, no, get back!
    OPEN IT! THE DOOR! OPEN THE DOOR! OPEN THE DOOR OPEN THE DOOR!
    *coughs*
    Guys, just open season 2 of Supernatural the door, you can let me in, I'm fine, I *coughs* can get in without letting any free streaming movies available here *splutters* spambots in.
    Look, you've got a window, look out of it, you can see it's clear, just watch game of thrones online watch out for any more of the- *coughcough*
    *wheeze*
    *dies*
    *cue sad music*
    *cut to funeral scene, hundreds of sobbing men and women surround the pyre talking about how much of a hero I was and how I was damned handsome as well, then the music kicks up a notch as we see me rise up from the pyre and take a shaking step towards the crowd, I look directly at you, the reader of this screenplay, and smile*
    *cut to black*
    *credits roll*

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    R-F is the one asking Nalano, not me (I'm all for less spam though, as it's been overwhelming of late). However past experience has shown me that moderators can be a mixed bag (power tends to go to peoples heads, and not in a good way).
    In that we are in agreement, tho some disinterested third party stepping in and saying "guys, guys; please" every once in a while can't hurt.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    It does help, for sure. A firm TONE IT DOWN does wonders.

Also, a round of applause for Westyfield.

Network Hub
    Is the thread title a reference to something? I'm getting vibes.

Jim stepped in, someone didnt tone down.

Note: It wasnt kad. Nor nalano. Not even wiz.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Jim stepped in, someone didnt tone down.

Note: It wasnt kad. Nor nalano. Not even wiz.
    Indeed, one wonders if they read the site rules tbh. Still one of the more hilarious cases of butt hurt over reaction I've witnessed. Embarrassing, but for all the wrong reasons.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Indeed, one wonders if they read the site rules tbh. Still one of the more hilarious cases of butt hurt over reaction I've witnessed. Embarrassing, but for all the wrong reasons.
    Clearly someone new to the internet. We should all be extra careful and watch what we say around him.

Still, though, the bots are still a problem. I wouldnt mind a post apocalyptic game, like zombie games, where there arent zombies but robots. And they would be ultra-deadly, as in Terminator.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

The mods have appealed for calmer discourse a couple of times at least. Not sure what more can be done to tame people's raging egos, maybe some kind of bot that responds to particularly indignant/self-important posts by listing the poster's failings and insecurities.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    What happened and where? Who got banned? Did I miss any forum drama?

FWIW I second the idea of giving someone just enough power to move the obvious spam threads out of sight. I'm not sure whether a full-time moderator is really that needed though.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    FWIW I second the idea of giving someone just enough power to move the obvious spam threads out of sight. I'm not sure whether a full-time moderator is really that needed though.
    Hmm. How about, instead of employing another full time moderator, upgrading the normal moderators to "global moderators" and employing several new ones with the task of deleting spam and locking threads that get out of hand (which can then be unlocked anyway), and nothing else? I actually do not know that the current moderation team does at this moment (probably just that, although I haven't seen a lot of deleting or locking lately unfortunately), but I think that a few several extra souls wouldn't hurt. The thing is that moderators are often recruited from well known forum members, and...

yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    It does help, for sure. A firm TONE IT DOWN does wonders.

Also, a round of applause for Westyfield.

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Even ignoring the spam the general attitude and behaviour displayed in threads outside of the social clubs has been decidedly poor. Common issues include: rehashing old arguments, the same self-important people having the same argument across multiple threads, over-radical posting styles and outright personal attacks/insults/name calling.

I continue using this forum only for the social clubs; you know, the ones where people know how to be nice and sociable?

Unfortunately the Management prefer a laisez faire approach to moderation, sort of like the EVE developers.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Quote Originally Posted by Nullkigan View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Even ignoring the spam the general attitude and behaviour displayed in threads outside of the social clubs has been decidedly poor. Common issues include: rehashing old arguments, the same self-important people having the same argument across multiple threads, over-radical posting styles and outright personal attacks/insults/name calling.
    But for the last one, well what can you do? Tell people to only say certain things and not others? Silence some of the egos? Which ones? On what basis?

By and large I think RPS is pretty good for discussions, I've really been enjoying watching the debates and opinions that come out of folks here, and joining in with own 2 cents. Sure there's a lot of disagreement, and sometimes it ventures into mud-flinging, but the majority of it is articulate, intelligent, interesting.

I'd rather endure the repetitions and squabbles than kill off the discussions altogether.
    Free speech don't mean unchallengeable speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Keep View Post
    But for the last one, well what can you do? Tell people to only say certain things and not others? Silence some of the egos? Which ones? On what basis?

By and large I think RPS is pretty good for discussions, I've really been enjoying watching the debates and opinions that come out of folks here, and joining in with own 2 cents. Sure there's a lot of disagreement, and sometimes it ventures into mud-flinging, but the majority of it is articulate, intelligent, interesting.

I'd rather endure the repetitions and squabbles than kill off the discussions altogether.
    Actually, yes. It IS perfectly acceptable to say certain insulting behaviours are not tolerated, and this does not adversely affect discussions at all. If anything, knocking people on the head to keep things on-target would make the place more attractive to a wider base of posters, as they then know they're not going to be derailed or attacked.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keep View Post
    Indeed. Perhaps Nullikigan can provide us with a top ten list and a record of their crimes? I'm curious to know whether I'm still most most hated, or whether Wizardry has edged me out.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Quote Originally Posted by Nullkigan View Post
    As someone who posts exclusively outside the social clubs, I've rarely encountered these issues and have little difficulty either avoiding or ignoring them when I do. So far as I can see, the current system of self-regulation coupled with man Rossignol occasionally popping by to instill the fear of God is working perfectly well.

If you're being that much of a dick that Jim Rossignol drops by to ban you then it shouldn't come as any surprise, and if you aren't then why is any intervention needed? If folks can't help but drag out unproductive conflicts that's their problem and their responsibility; for the rest of us, there's the scroll wheel. I'm not being an absolutist here: I can clearly envision a state of chaos wherein more active moderation would be useful, but RPS is not that. Does not even vaguely resemble that.
    Last edited by Rii; 28-04-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Indeed. Perhaps Nullikigan can provide us with a top ten list and a record of their crimes? I'm curious to know whether I'm still most most hated, or whether Wizardry has edged me out.
    Wizardry's grandfathered in the top spot. Sorry, but he's just more consistent than you.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I don't know. Constant repetition has transformed Wizardy into something somehow adorable. All his "that's not an RPG" arguments have become something like a cat trying to catch a laser dot.

PS: XOXO Wizardy

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I don't know. Constant repetition has transformed Wizardy into something somehow adorable. All his "that's not an RPG" arguments have become something like a cat trying to catch a laser dot.

PS: XOXO Wizardy
    Time to make myself a new account. Perhaps Zork, where I'll be arguing that graphical adventures aren't really adventure games.