Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    One issue that has worried me is how we are going to organize this in closed beta. Due to the NDA we won't be able to discuss it on the forums here. I suppose the best we can do is just post our character names (surely that's not an NDA violation?) here and on the steam group when/if we make it in before open beta so we can contact eachother.

But yes, they have said the technical test will be very short (it's just checking a bunch of boxes for different hardware configs) so I would expect closed beta to start in about a week.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    If the rumours are anything to go by, beta starts tomorrow before midnight (GMT). Has anyone volunteered to create the outfit yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    If the rumours are anything to go by, beta starts tomorrow before midnight (GMT). Has anyone volunteered to create the outfit yet?
    Nooooo! Why oh why do I work night shift?!
    I occasionally write things on this website. You can read these things by clicking this thing:
    www.teamsao.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    My "shift" finishes at midnight (and by "shift" I mean the latest I can leave the office and still get a train home, given I'm a stinking postgrad who keeps his own time, which, actually, is the reason I'm working until midnight because I've spent the last 3 years keeping my own time and have got shit all writing done...)

So I - if haircuts are anything to go by - I plan to go home and play this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    So I - if haircuts are anything to go by - I plan to go home and play this.
    If by 'play this' you mean 'play planetside 2', I wouldn't count on it. No-one knows whether thursday signals the start of the tech-test or the actual closed beta, and in either case the number of selected people is gonna be very low. Even if you have a priority access key, you're not definitely gonna be in the first wave of people in the CBT. Still, here's hoping.
    I'm Respecting your culture!

Actually, it is well known and has been made clear many times on twitter/at PSU; this is all about the start of external testing, i.e. the tech test. E-mails to the select group are going out tomorrow, wave 1 of closed beta will follow shortly after (one or two weeks probably).

However, this is currently USA only. Europe beta will follow.

Also there is a very, very high chance that progress will be wiped at the end of closed beta, both for balance reasons and to not let closed beta people "have an advantage." So any formed outfits will have to be re-formed.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...912#post780912

Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
    Havent seen this mentioned, where'd you see that?

If so, that sucks. I was really hoping to go give it a go this weekend as I have practically no free time midweek. Ah well... at least the Steam deals are up.
    I occasionally write things on this website. You can read these things by clicking this thing:
    www.teamsao.com

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...912#post780912
    Got a quote on that?

Quote Originally Posted by StrangLove View Post
    Got a quote on that?
    95% I saw this from a dev, lemme try and dig it up.

[10 minutes later]

Found it! From John Smedley (SOE CEO) twitter account, July 9th:

Some dude: "Is the tech test NA only?"
    Smedley: "
    We will be doing a European one as well.. very soon."

I had previously read the EU beta will be a joint operation between SOE and whatever company it was that is handling EU servers. No official announcement yet, but expect it soon. Plus, only a tiny fraction of American players are in the current tech test. It will be a while till it opens up, and even then they are doing genuine testing, i.e. only at specific times and with specific scenarios ("Everybody use tanks!"). It's not one of those "beta test as demo" things until open beta at least.

Ah, cool, thanks. That's a pity, I guess, but as long as we get in the beta at some point, I'm not massively fussed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    I had previously read the EU beta will be a joint operation between SOE and whatever company it was that is handling EU servers.
    Just to pick that up: Euopean servers will be hosted by Sevengames.com which belongs to ProSiebenSat1 Media AG, a German Media (TV) Group. They only have experience with F2P so I still wonder if they are the right choice for a game of this magnitude as they have absolutely no experience with a game of this scale. Let's just hope that SOE provides them with enough data on what is needed and Sevengames is willing to provide it accordingly.

At least I heaven't heard anything bad about the service yet. But that might be related to not really knowing anyone who is heavily into on of the provided games. Also ProSiebenSat1 is heavily investing into the platform and (as it seems) they really want to push for being THE eu publisher for F2P games. Which might be a good thing, if they are investing into quality at least.

I stilly remember the chaos that was Warhammer Online while running with GOA. Let's just hope PS2 runs fine with 7games.
    Last edited by bonkers; 14-07-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I use to play Planetside in the New Conglomerate faction.

To me the vanu are this weird group of people using alien weapons or alien looking stuff, my faction is terran, represent home, the humanity.

The red guys (forgot the faction name), is like a evil red communist army, his weapons are usually ugly, and looks like made by the soviet army.

Anyway theres more than one reason to use floating tanks. Specially if theres water bodies and can hover over the water.

Just backing up what Aerothorn quoted: http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c..._after/c5dye6p

The rest of that thread is worth a read, Smedley answers a few interesting questions in there.

Quote Originally Posted by StrangLove View Post
    Just backing up what Aerothorn quoted: http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c..._after/c5dye6p

The rest of that thread is worth a read, Smedley answers a few interesting questions in there.
    Between Twitter and Reddit I'm amazed this guy gets any work done ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    One hour of unedited PS2 footage by TB. With Jesse yelling helplessly in the background. So basically it's their Terraria series ;)

Also PSU has a Walktrough posted which the damn board doesn't want to post directly so follow this link.

I think that post means that the servers are working, not that the actual beta is happening currently, but either way it means we're one step closer to some awesome fights.

Obscure Node
    Yeah, they are currently just doing the Tech Test. The only people in now are the ones they had picked for their hardware specs.

Sorry, terminological confusion. They consider the tech test to be part of the "beta process" so sometimes I refer to it as such, even though it's not.

WHAT I MEANT WAS: This is no longer NA exclusive. EU and Australia folk are now playing in the tech test, and the EU servers are running. Woo.