Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Rock, Paper, whichSide?

OK, so the existence of a RPS Planetside 2 outfit seems pretty much inevitable, given that Jim at least seems pretty excited about the game.

The question to get all irate about of course is which side do you want us to be on?

My Planetside experience is limited to 6 months or so serving as a reservist for the Vanu. Despite some of the crap unique variants (Aurora, I'm looking at you here) and an uninspiring heavy weapon (Lasher), I'd quite like to play as Vanu again. The way units like the MagRider were weaker than the other faction's tanks, but had the flexibility to achieve things the others couldn't was something I really enjoyed. I also feel a little closer to Technofetishism as a side philosophy, than I do to Authoritarianism or Ayn Randism, but that doesn't make a big difference to me. Also, manly purple!

Right, feel free to flame away about why we have to be NC or TR.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    vanu have flying tanks/thread
    Long form:
    I don't care if I win. If my tank has 3% lower damage and that means I need one more hit to win, I am okay with that as long as I have a reason to use the weaker option. Amphibious assaults *no one else can do* are awesome. Hell you can abandon the sub standard tank for infantry combat or maybe you'll use a river to qualify a retreat or perform ambushes. Sure it might have no baring, but when it does? Thats awesome.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 27-04-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I can't help but think that the aesthetic style of the VS doesn't quite fit RPS, and I'd tend towards the TR as far as looks are concerned. I have no real gameplay qualms about the RPS group being VS based though, and hovertanks are pretty cool.

Having never had the money for Planetside the first time round, I've no idea how this is going to work as far as cross-faction vehicles work. Will I be able to fly a Galaxy as the VS, or is it an NC aircraft only? I've only seen it in those colours, so that's my basis for this hypothesis.

Finally, does anyone else see a similarity between the three faction's styles and the style of the factions in Supreme Commander? Maybe the SC devs took inspiration not only from Total Annihilation but also from Planetside? It'd be interesting to see whether that was the case or not.
    I'm Respecting your culture!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    In the original Planetside, there were three types of vehicles - generic vehicles, available to all factions (this covers pretty much all transport units including the galaxy, most aircraft, etc), faction vehicles (Main battle tanks, BFRs, other "signature" vehicles) and unique variants - so the basic generic vehicle, with a twist - eg teh Deliverer variants (thankfully for the Vanu, very few NC players seemed to have realised that the Thunderer, their APC variant, was actually a pretty much even match for the Magrider, the Vanu MBT.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Have they said anything about server structures yet? Geographic zones?

Quote Originally Posted by StrangLove View Post
    I can't help but think that the aesthetic style of the VS doesn't quite fit RPS
    What?

Wait, what?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangLove View Post
    Maybe the SC devs took inspiration not only from Total Annihilation but also from Planetside? It'd be interesting to see whether that was the case or not.
    Dibs on the Monkey Lord.

But the RPS colours were defined in Mass effect coop as being Red maincoat, Purple sheen and Silver decals. I guess both Vanu and TC (Barney and Elmo ) are suitable in that way.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I enjoyed playing as a Terran in the original, I'm quite happy to join the Vanu if that's the way RPS will swing. Cool outfit leaders, officers/squad leaders and fellow grunts is what I'm most looking forward to, even if it is in facehugger-hugging purple.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    So, to bump this as the dedicated Planetside 2 thread. It has become a bit silent around the game but as it seems more news are incoming. This weekend Total Buiscuit is visiting the devs and bringig lots of video material and info with him :)

Does anyone of you decide which side you wann play to pick up the topic of the thread? I have never really tried Planetside outside one or two free trial time. But for me Vanu seem to be interesting from their backstory and I like crazy techology stuff. The other two factions seem to be too "normal". The Conglomerate seems to have some experimental stuff too, but not fancy enough for me ;)

And, anyone able to get a beta key from PC Gamer? Tried to import it, but no chance. Or when it was possible the costs were just astronomical.

I was a Vanu pilot in the original conflict. If I'm getting back in my liberator, ideally I'd like it to be for the VS.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    So, as promissed TotalBiscuit brought some footage with him.
    For those who haven't seen it already, here it is. And it's pretty, pretty awesome /imho

And as the board doesn't allow me to post more then one video in video-tags:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjsd5uouw9I
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptGe-UplC34

What, no votes for New Conglomerate?
    I occasionally write things on this website. You can read these things by clicking this thing:
    www.teamsao.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I don't know which side to fight on, I never played the original, but it looks awesome and I will prostitute myself to the side that seems most fu...

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    vanu have flying tanks/thread
    ...we have a winner!