Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Unheard of? No. But it's really not common. I certainly don't have the time to play games through more than once, unless the entire experience is significantly different the second time around (or I can skip to the different bits).
    I think you are in the minority honestly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I doubt he is in the minority in general, but in term of potential DLC customers you might be right.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Fargo
    The movement against many forms of paid DLC is only going to get stronger. DLC has now become a 4 letter word with one less letter. I have no problem with things that you download that are cosmetic only and other smaller forms that are more trivial and non-essential. I used to look forward to expansion packs for games. Tons of new game play for like $20. I never had an issue with that. To get as much content in the expansion packs of yesteryear would probably cost $100 in the new DLC model today.
    I'm a bad man because my message is too short :<

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I think you are in the minority honestly.
    Well given we know that only 50% of players who started ME2 finished it the first time, I'm confident that I'm not: http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/111/1118657p1.html

Though of course, players that don't finish the game are less likely to be buying DLC.

I will say I'm probably in the minority that I don't replay any game, but what proportion of your games do you replay? Because if it's less than half of them then just apply mathematics...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    I used to look forward to expansion packs for games. Tons of new game play for like $20. I never had an issue with that. To get as much content in the expansion packs of yesteryear would probably cost $100 in the new DLC model today.
    Well.I just spend 20 euros on Mass Effect 2 DLC, and there's certainly enough content in there to be comparable to some of the expansion packs I plaeyd. Actually more content then some of the expansion packs I've played, concidering that the expansion packs I played were all expansion packs to strategy games. For example the The Conquers expansion pack does offer three campaigns + a few battles, but those campaigns are usually long because the filler content (building the base, killing the enemies) is the meat of the game. Mass Effect's DLC is shorte,r but it has tons more voice acting, and more varience and all that stuff. So I'd say that it is roughly the same when done well.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 29-04-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Well given we know that only 50% of players who started ME2 finished it the first time, I'm confident that I'm not: http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/111/1118657p1.html

Though of course, players that don't finish the game are less likely to be buying DLC.

I will say I'm probably in the minority that I don't replay any game, but what proportion of your games do you replay? Because if it's less than half of them then just apply mathematics...
    I rarely, if ever, finish games. My time for gaming is limited as it requires me to separate myself from family, work, and church responsibilities. I need to have personal time to play, but personal time comes after family time usually.

So when I play a game, I play whatever is giving me the most enjoyment at that time. I will continue to buy new and different games even if I spend very little time with each of them as sometimes novelty brings greater enjoyment.

From that perspective I will purchase DLC from time to time. It's usually not the new quest type DLC but it may be the new feature type or enhancement DLC. Plus, there are a lot of deals if you're willing to wait to get a complete game + some of the DLC. And I'm usually willing to wait because of price. I am more interested in content that is accessible at any point in the game rather than stuff that takes place chronologically after the main quest is complete, but if I can get it all together within my price range, I'll do it.

I'm still looking for the best bang for my buck, even if that bang doesn't translate to length of experience in my case. So I appreciate reviews or opinions of DLC just like anything else I can spend that dollar on. If some DLC adds nothing to my immediate fun, I want to know and then skip it. If something will take a game from pretty good to good, maybe I'll buy it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar

Games that fit into the category we are talking about here (i.e. RPGs with DLC that adds to the base game rather than extends it) I actually replay quite a bit.

I mean at the end of the day this kind of DLC is obviously successful enough or they wouldn't continue to make it.