Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar

Buying Tablet (Help).

So basically my budget is around 250 euros. Now my eyes were locked on Galaxy 3 but after reading few reviews i'm not so sure,so what do you suggest. Maybe even buying used better pad ? Or something else not so known ?

Heeeeeelp. Its birthday present for my sister.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    What size tablet are you looking for?

I have been happy with my Nexus 7, 1st gen. Some like the Samsung since they have all the extra software from Samsung that give it a few mroe features out of the box. Asus, Nexus(Asus), Samsung are the top tablets.

I just got a Dell Venue Pro 8 on eBay, cheaper than retail, not a scratch on it. It's good so far, though it could potentially give me eye strain.
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I've the 8 inch Galaxy 3 Tablet and I've no problems with it. It does everything I want it to do. Which amounts to lets me read digital comics, play Android games and browse the web. I've had it half a year now and I've zero complaints about it.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Holy shit Nexus 7 (2013 version) sounds fabolous!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Pretty happy with my nexus 7 (version 1). I can't be bothered to compare specs etc.. for tablets, but the nexus ones seem like the go-to ones for android. Others might get a few more bells and whistles, but you'll usually be paying a fair bit more for them, and anything lower priced is likely to be a bit ropey. (Plus being direct from google and being a baseline for developers tends to help). That said, it depends what she'll use it for. Sitting on a sofa, reading newspapers, magazines, comics, I might go for a 9 inch screen. Carrying around, holding in one hand, reading news and books, 7 inch is better.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Mrs. Berzee has a Nexus 7 as well and likes it, though we've never had another table to compare it to. She uses it for general internet things, playing Pandora around the house (it has nicer speakers than any of our laptops) and also has a few games including a minecraft clone thing that it seems to be able to run without problems. (If you go for the Nexus 7 make sure you double-check what kind of camera it has -- not sure if it matters to you and who takes photos with a tablet anyway? but the earlier ones only have a front-facing camera for skyping and not a rear-facing one for taking pictures...not sure if they added a camera to the newer versions).

We also got a tiny USB keyboard and case that goes with it too, but she hasn't done as much typing on it as she expected to.
    Last edited by Berzee; 27-05-2014 at 04:46 AM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    I would suggest Nexus 7 (2013). Got it for my moms, great piece of kit, nice screen and everything.

Thinking about getting one for myself to read electronic textbooks and stuff.

Get the newest one also, has a much nicer screen.

The old one has a Tegra. The new one has the innards of the Nexus 4 I believe.

It's also called the Nexus 7 FHD sometimes, I think 1920x1200 screen.

This is the one you want: https://play.google.com/store/device...8ABw&gclsrc=ds

Great piece of kit imo. Got the one for my moms at $150, was pretty schweet (regular is $229 for the 16 GB).
    Last edited by rockman29; 27-05-2014 at 05:13 AM.

Obscure Node
    It really depends what you are buying it for. Do you prefer the Android or iOS ecosystem? It's easier to stay on one or the other. Do you need a larger 10" screen or a smaller 7" screen (surprisingly quite a difference in uses). The larger screen obviously makes watching movies, looking at larger size formats and such easier, but is harder to carry around like the 7 inch tablets.

Personally I've used the iPad (1) and enjoyed the larger display and quality build, but I hated iOS and as such bought an Android phone then switched to a Nexus 7 to keep to the one ecosystem (shares apps, chrome browser tabs on all platforms, etc etc). At the time I bought the smaller Nexus 7 because I wanted to be able to carry it around, but I've since left college and don't go out as much, and my usage of my tablet has changed so I'd like to get a larger screen tablet again.

If you aren't looking for a larger sized screen then the Nexus 7 is far and away the best Android device you can get, likewise the iPad Mini is the best smaller format iOS device (it has no competition obviously). Larger size formats I'm still looking myself so I can't say, but the Sony Xperia Z2 seems like a very good choice (I just don't like the bevel size).

Personally I am waiting to see what Google has to offer in June.

Dell Venue Pro 8

Excuse my awful photography, done hastily on a Lumia 925. Shots photoshopped with a black brush to remove my hideous reflection.

Firefox running with the page zoomed in slightly, then the Bing News metro app:

iTunes, then VLC running a 720p mkv file. Note that this is the regular VLC for Windows, not the beta version Metro app which is buggy as hell and still prone to crashing:

Monkey Island 2 Remastered running through Steam. Cannot praise this enough, it runs gorgeously. Next game I try on it will be Bastion, when I get hold of a bluetooth mouse that doesn't require a dongle.

Pros

- Full Windows 8.1, not the RT version.

- I've had it just under a fortnight, so I haven't yet had much of a chance to play around with syncing things between the tablet, my Windows phone and my desktop, but I imagine the whole integrated environment thing will become quite handy when I get off my arse and exploit it to its' potential.

- The photos don't do the brightness and colour control of the screen justice. It's not 1080p but with an IPS screen of that quality you wouldn't know it.

- Expandable memory via MicroSD slot, or if you're like me and didn't want to pay a ridiculous price for a high capacity, high speed MicroSD card you can get an OnTheGo 32Gb flash drive with a MicroUSB end for 12.62 from Scan. (They do 16Gb versions as well.) Or there are USB/MicroUSB adpators so you can plug any old flash drive in.

- Really good battery life, even without turning down the screen brightness. So far I haven't allowed it to drain below 50% and it's had up to 3 hours use at a time in work running iTunes with the brightness set at around 75%.

- The inbuilt speaker is surprisingly loud. I've mostly got it plugged into a cheap 2.1 system in my tiny office at work, but if you're just showing off the latest film trailer to somebody while on the go, there's no need to force headphones on them.

Cons

- If you buy it directly from Dell, it's 249.99, from Amazon 229.99. For personal use, that's decent - as a present for someone else, you will probably want to go for something cheaper. I managed to snag a hell of a good deal on eBay, 220 for the tablet, 70 quidsworth of accessories and free postage, so it's worth taking a look.

- The black areas of the front can be pretty reflective, but as I've just discovered this only really becomes an issue if you're sat there trying to take photos of it on a phone.

- The MicroUSB slot is the only charging port; I would have appreciated some kind of wireless charging point on the reverse akin to the one on my Lumia 925, so if you're charging the tablet you are reliant on the MicroSD slot for expanded memory. That said, the battery life is decent, so it's not been a real issue.

- Accessories are pricey if you're going for the proper Dell branded ones. The bluetooth keyboard and folio stand case come as a bundle for just under 70 quid, while the active stylus is sold on it's own for 30 quid.

I got lucky and had the keyboard and case bundled with it from an eBay seller, otherwise I probably would have just gone with any generic mini bluetooth keyboard, and so far I haven't felt the need to buy an active stylus when the little soft-tipped one I got has worked just fine.
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot