Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Just got back from the store and bought Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard vol.1 . If I'd known it was a spin-off from the main series, I would've bought Fall 1152, first. Oh, well...
    Dude, Comixology sale on Mouse Guard RIGHT NOW.

But I already spent all my money for transport and the book! *sniff*
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Well, you suck then.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathPig View Post
    Any comics incorporating themes from Video Games? I know the ones based on CoD, Mass Effect. Are there any for titles like Skyrim? Or Diablo?
    DC publishes Diablo comics (a 5 book series, I believe; about 120 pages total). There are other series as well - Mirror's Edge, Deus Ex, Arkham City, and many more. Valve also published free comics for Left 4 Dead and Portal 2.

Comixology has a bunch of these in digital formats, including some free ones.

Blizzard also published a bunch of World of Warcraft manga-style books. I enjoyed the one series I read (the Ashbringer Chronicles or something like that), but perhaps only because I was already invested in the lore of the game.

The best video game comic I've read so far has got to be the Left 4 Dead comic, The Sacrifice.

Network Hub
    Can anyone recommend a place to buy Manga digitally? I've been reading the free, not very legal fan-translated ones which are usually of lousy quality. I have a big problem with the legality so I'm only reading books my wife owns on paper, but our sagging shelves can take no more paper so I want to invest in a digital library henceforth!

I tried Comixology but its manga section is deplorably shitty. I'd love to read some Tokyopop or Clamp or other major publisher.

Welp, I got one issue of Mouse Guard for free from the sale after all! Thanks for the heads up, Althea
    Art blog here.

Welp, I got one issue of Mouse Guard for free from the sale after all! Thanks for the heads up, Althea
    Not a problem.

Network Hub
    Sure thing. And I gotta find an Elseworld story for Batman as well (no, Comrade Batman in Red Son doesn't count) if there's any.
    Batman: Gotham by Gaslight is pretty good. Drawn by Mignola of HEllboy fame, featuring a 19th century Batman vs Jack the Ripper (in Gotham). But the BEST, is The Doom that Came to Gotham which is written by Mignola and sees the Batman world reinvented into a glorious take on Lovecraft's horrific world of abominations, madmen and unspeakable elder things.

Hm, both Mignola, both set in 19th century/early 20th century. Interesting link! Most batmen elseworlds are terrible though, much worse than the average superman book. Half of them are vampire stories to begin with.

Going beyond exclusively Batman titles, JSA: The Liberty File + Unholy Three are brilliant too. They feature Batman as the protagonist among a cast of reinvented DCU superheroes as OSA agents during WWII. Hourman is 'the clock', etc...great stuff.

Finished reading Superman: Red Son last night. That was quite something, especially since I don't usually like Superman comics. But this... this was good, and rather interesting exploration about Supes' personality.

Morrison's Animal Man, 5 issues. The first four were intriguing, depressing and fun to read, at the same time. But the fifth... I could consider myself mindscrewed. There's a lot of subtle (or maybe not) pro-animal rights thing going in there too, if I'm not mistaken.

I did gave Spider-Man Noir a good read too, soon after that. While I'm not much of a big fan of the artwork in the comic, the story was quite good. Even better in the Eyes without a Face story arc.

My only complaint about this was that the villains were kinda... bland. So yeah, Osborn's a mob boss with a face as bad as Deadpool's but that's it. Vulture's just a cannibal, and the Sandman? Well, he's tougher than a rock but he can't turn into sand whenever he wanted. The only memorable one was Doc. Oc but it looks like I'm looking at an imminent character development with, not just him, but all the villians. The ones that are still breathing, like Doc or Kraven.
    Art blog here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boonsanip View Post
    Shounen jumps are the best. naruto and bleach realy owns
    *sniff, sniff*

Smells like nascent spambot.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I've placed an order for this. Colour me excited.

In comics i'm reading nothing ATM. I was reading Garth Ennis' Hitman but it was getting too damn depressing for my current mood (around issue 33 or so). Recently, though, i read through a ton of Moebius' work and liked it a lot. RIP, you crazy drawing hippie.

In manga i'm not currently reading anything either but i have a ton of Jiro Taniguchi and Shirow to read (soon, i hope).

This settles it, Alex Ross is my new favourite artist
    Art blog here.

Network Hub
    Has anyone read Kieron Gillen's comics? I'm particularly curious about Phonogram and Singles Club. Would you recommend these? I really enjoyed his writing at RPS but as comics aren't really my medium of choice I can't say that I was thrilled about his exodus to those papery pastures.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by djbriandamage View Post
    Has anyone read Kieron Gillen's comics? I'm particularly curious about Phonogram and Singles Club. Would you recommend these? I really enjoyed his writing at RPS but as comics aren't really my medium of choice I can't say that I was thrilled about his exodus to those papery pastures.
    Not read any of Phonogram or Singles Club, only when Kieron has written for Marvel. Some good stories - Beta Ray Bill was the best - and I've liked elements of other work. Certainly better than alot of the writers at the bullpen but I don't like it the rest as much as I want to. 'S.W.O.R.D' for example didn't really click with me but I enjoyed reading it nonetheless.

Not related, feels oddly strange to use the full name of the hivemind, even when they've fled the nexus. I remember when Kieron had hair and PCG had a running gag about it, that's not ever gonna be Mr Gillen.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    The third arc of Casanova just wrapped up. Oh my fucking god, what amazing comics. It's crazy-arse, off-the-wall sci-fi with plenty of violence, sex, drugs and rock n roll. If you're interested though, start from the start (Luxuria, then Gula, then Avaritia) 'cause it continues to build on things that have come before.

Quote Originally Posted by djbriandamage View Post
    Has anyone read Kieron Gillen's comics? I'm particularly curious about Phonogram and Singles Club. Would you recommend these?
    I read some of the first volume of Phonogram. I thought it was well done, but it didn't really resonate with me personally. I put it down to me not being a fan (or even aware) of the bands that the main characters talk about. I've been meaning to revisit it, but I've never got around to it.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Read a coupla issues of the new 52's Animal Man and gotta say, it's good. In a creepy way, yeah. Not much of a fan of Buddy's new look, though but that's just me
    Art blog here.

Network Hub
    I forgot the Warhammer comics Kieron wrote a couple a years ago. Great stuff - not Dan Abnett good but restrained passionate fanboyism with decent story/writing.

Read a coupla issues of the new 52's Animal Man and gotta say, it's good. In a creepy way, yeah. Not much of a fan of Buddy's new look, though but that's just me
    I love Buddy's new look. Think it does a really good job of fitting with the totemistic/horror nature of the comic. Animal Man is easily best comic of the new 52, followed by (can't believe I'm saying this) Wonder Woman, Aquaman and I, Vampire. Wish Constantine wasn't a part of JL:Dark or I would find it much more interesting...as it is I hate seeing him in those page, playing superhero.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Holy shit yesterday was the day i read allot of the comics,i got day off and it was raining so it was perfect time for reading.

I put through Venom (2011),Superman:Red Son,We3,Batman:Dark Knight Returns.

I suggest all of them!