Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Crossed is a big meh for me, was filler comic. Garth Ennis just doing disgusting horror to his fullest.

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Did I make the right choice that I chose to get volume 1 of Elephantmen instead of Fear Agent? I probably didn't because I was looking for something a lot more actiony sci-fi with over the top silliness than pulp or noir. .
    If you were looking for actiony sci-fi, no. You did not make the right choice. Return to page 1 and begin your adventure again.

As for me, I just caught up with Swamp Thing and Animal Man. Rotworld is ok actually I guess though the crossover issues are really annoying with the rest of the DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Theblazeuk View Post
    If you were looking for actiony sci-fi, no. You did not make the right choice. Return to page 1 and begin your adventure again.

As for me, I just caught up with Swamp Thing and Animal Man. Rotworld is ok actually I guess though the crossover issues are really annoying with the rest of the DCU.
    Shit. Next time when I flipped a coin and it shows heads twice in a row, I'm going to trust that coin instead of my brain.

Anyways, Supes didn't really turn zombie didn't he? I haven't read much of Rotworld but damn, a lot of guys are rotting.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Quote Originally Posted by Theblazeuk View Post
    Crossed is a big meh for me, was filler comic. Garth Ennis just doing disgusting horror to his fullest.
    I actually somewhat liked the webcomic of Crossed, but I'm not sure if Ennis was involved in that nor how the comic has progressed since I last read it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Pathfinder - I love this for replacing what IDW used to do with the D&D comic before they dropped it in favour of the much worse Forgotten Realms one. It's got comedy, great art and really gets right in there with a really crazy fantasy world. Also it's written by Jim Zub, which is great.

Green Lantern - I'm so surprised I like this book. I never gave GL a chance before but I really look forward to each issue.

Justice League - Same here as with Green Lantern. Only problem I have with it at the moment is that after it's first arc, it kinda became a tie in issue to whatever is going on in other comics. At the moment it's essentially side story to Throne of Atlantis and to a lesser degree Rise of the Third Army.

Venom - I think this is the only Marvel book on my pull list. I like the character, but the new creative team are very meh. The art standard has dropped (Marvel really do have some horrible and lazy/overworked artists) and the stories aren't all there. I hope it turns around.

Haven't read as many Marvel books since they went to NOW! since I want to wait for trades. Waiting for trades is turning out to be harder than I thought when new books are being announced that I want to try out but don't want to wait for months. I always worry that by not buying the monthly it sends the wrong message to the publisher.

Obscure Node
    Comics that I religiously follow:

The Walking Dead - Most of you might've been introduced to this by way of the AMC TV Show or the games by Telltale and some other mobile developer. And there's a reason why they're also exploring other media as the lore and the TWD Universe offer so much more, its expansive and dark and twisted. And that depicts a post-apocalyptic world exactly.

The 12th of each month is a ceremony for me! :)

The Goon - Well, I got drawn to this the opposite of how others would've been. I came across this, http://youtu.be/zr_Ta6NS3-g And the rest they say is history!

And I used to read Marvel/DC fare when I was in school. I don't know some day I might pick them up too.

Both big companies are stale, but Marvel even more so. It's so obvious to tell the progression of their stories, take any recent Iron Man or Captain America book. Each arch will be five issues long

First Issue - Introduction to a new threat
    Second Issue - Nothing really happens, the hero is no closer to fixing it
    Third Issue - Bad guy gets the best of the hero
    Fourth Issue - Bad guy looks like he's going to win, but we all know he wont
    Fifth Issue - Good guy wins in two or three panels in a very mundane way, last page shows that it's not over yet and will be picked up again in time.

That's what I'm enjoying so much about GL, is that it's just not following that pattern. It's just telling a story and there's some bad guys doing things in the background, but it's much more about the characters than stopping the bad guys.

I'm hoping with Marvel NOW! they shake things up a bit, but I'm not expecting much.

Apparently, Bone is good. I recommended this to my little bro and he likes it. So did I when I read it. Sadly, I we only managed to find the third volume so, we kinda missed out on a few things
    Art blog here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Bone is good! I especially like the art.

Yeah. It's kinda hard to find comics with art this expressive and isn't French. I honestly thought it would look great as a cartoon animation if they happen to make one. It's also adorable as heck, especially Fone Bone.
    Art blog here.

Bone isn't good, Bone is brilliant. Maybe my favorite graphic novel / comic book / whatever we call it tomorrow of all time.

Network Hub
    Shame that the Bone game by Telltale wasn't so hot as the Walking Dead one.

Wait, there's a Bone game?
    Art blog here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Yes,it was decent back then when i didn't know about the comic. Don't know how it holds the candle now when i know its been made after such a cute comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Wait, there's a Bone game?
    TellTale Games made two episodes: Out of Boneville and The Great Cow Race. I guess each covers the books with the same name.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Can anyone recommend any android apps/stores for comics?

Is there one that has a decent range, or do i need to install each publisher's apps? (marvel, DC, Dark Horse, etc..)

Is there one which is decently priced?

Is there a source of interesting, low priced / free indie e-comics?

I know Comixology has an app and it's pretty good as far as I know
    Art blog here.

For Android, Comixology is your best bet with the widest range of publishers, and seems to have pretty much everything from Marvel and DC so no need to have separate accounts on their apps. There's quite a good range of free indies there too. Also worth looking here for free stuff though it's mostly older copyright expired comics.

For reading DRM-free stuff, I prefer the ComicRack app, the free version is great. Though AFAIK anything you buy on Comixology is DRM-locked to their app.

Obscure Node
    I randomly found a copy of "the Red Star: Collected Edition" at a used bookstore. It's a story set in an alternate version of the USSR after the 2nd world war, where magic powers technology and the URRS attempts to control and enslave it's neighboring states. The story follows the heroes of the Red Star as they discover their country's true intentions that leads the soldiers on a quest to liberate their nation from its dark legacy of oppression.

I basically read it none stop as soon as I got home.

it's the shame the company behind seems to run into funding issues and the series has stalled out.

Activated Node
    phono2406.jpg
    So, um, I read this Phonogram thing by this guy called Gillen. :P

Basically, the trick seems to be that he has created a unique universe by taking his tastes and thoughts about music and turning it into a setting for his work.
    The first volume has a 'Let's chase the dragon' kind of feel to it. It's an enthusiastically thrown together pile of ideas. A bit like the first tv performance of a cool new band, it plays a bit too fast, drops a few notes here and there, but everyone finishes in time.
    The second volume is much more focused. It's a simple idea, one event on one night seen from different perspectives. It's well executed, but a bit short and it does leave you wondering 'Is this it?' a bit.
    Apparently there's a third volume coming so hopefully that'll combine the ambition of the first volume with the focus and tightness of the second and be truly great. It's an original and interesting setting that certainly deserves it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Finally got around to picking up the Hawkeye (Fraction) trade. Best Marvel comic series I've read since Remenders Uncanny X-Force. At first I wasn't a fan of David Aja's art style, but it really grew on me and it's perfect for the book. I particularly like when he uses a mix of the same panel, but the second one is all black and white like a freeze frame from a Nior movie while the protagonist tells us information.

Also enjoyed the first issue of East of West, looking forward to more of that. And JLA is actually really entertaining despite me not caring or knowing about half the characters in it.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID