Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node
    Casanova is great. I still have no idea what happened, but it was a good trip.
    Read it a couple of times, I probably missed like half of what was happening, although I get a bit more with each re-read. What I got I enjoyed!

Pluto(From the guy who created Monster and 20th century boys); The series is based on Osamu Tezuka's Astro Boy, specifically "The Greatest Robot on Earth" (地上最大のロボット Chijō saidai no robotto?) story arc, and named after the arc's chief villain. Urasawa reinterprets the story as a suspenseful murder mystery starring Gesicht, a Europol robot detective trying to solve the case of a string of robot and human deaths.
    Not a huge Manga reader, but that sounds really cool actually. Will have to investigate that.

I read Ministry of Space this weekend by Warren Ellis and Chris Weston. One of the better mini series I've read in a long time.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Reids View Post
    Read it a couple of times, I probably missed like half of what was happening, although I get a bit more with each re-read. What I got I enjoyed!

Not a huge Manga reader, but that sounds really cool actually. Will have to investigate that.

I read Ministry of Space this weekend by Warren Ellis and Chris Weston. One of the better mini series I've read in a long time.
    Hmm the payoff is a bit weak I thought. I remember reading it as it came out, took years to get from #1 and #2 to #3. Remember loving the first issue though.

Ever read Orbital?

Obscure Node
    I thought the pay-off was great, it made sense in a horrible kind of way. That being said, I bought the whole thing on comixology and read it in the pub. So my experience with it would be pretty different from yours in that regard.

Haven't got to Orbital yet, big Ellis fan though, so it'll probably be next. How is it?

I have read quite a few manga's so far and always interested in something new. Yet now I mainly focus the big series Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Fairy Tail and Beelzebub.

Network Hub AlonePlusEasyTarget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EaglEye View Post
    always interested in something new.
    You better drop those series then. All are not worth keeping up with.
    7:03 AM - Alone + Easy Target: sscscccccacescsqaqdsqsqqsqqqeeeeeeeeeeeseesqecccee eeeedsssssssssqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeq
    7:03 AM - The Player of Games: Play by email, FPS edition

Steam|Last.FM

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Reids View Post
    I thought the pay-off was great, it made sense in a horrible kind of way. That being said, I bought the whole thing on comixology and read it in the pub. So my experience with it would be pretty different from yours in that regard.

Haven't got to Orbital yet, big Ellis fan though, so it'll probably be next. How is it?
    Orbital is mint, beautiful artwork, strange eerie concept that's repellant and uplifting at the same time. I think it stands as Ellis's best single piece of work.

Otherwise you should also check out Freak Angels, available entirely as a webcomic over at http://www.freakangels.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Man, going from video gaming to comic buying a hobby is quite a financial leap. Even at a bargainous price on Ebay for entire collections and runs these things quickly add up!

Read two things lately. Batman: The Long Halloween and Give Me Liberty, which is the start of the Martha Washington saga by Frank Miller, and a comic about a non-sexual female role which is something of a paradox.

Long Halloween was good and I really enjoyed reading it. Reservations-there was some very poor dialogue, far too many scenes of a vexed Batman just reaching out his arm and shouting "Catwoman!" or "Joker!" and the like. It's how a ten year old would write that sort of scene. I was surprised there weren't movement lines indicating a shaking fist or the like. A lot of the dialogue really was essentially "Hey, guy over there, have you noticed this plot device bit because it is important". It rarely took off or was anything more than functional.

Second-Harvey Dent. Couldn't care less about him. I get why I'm supposed to, but it felt implied rather than written into the story. hey, this guy, look at him, look at how hard he tried and how his marriage is suffering, look at him LOOK AT IT. But he doesn't really do anything to deserve that reputation, so my main reaction was "stop telling me what to think about Harvey Dent". Likewise with the Mob personell. You don't see them do anything apart from get shot. There's lots of talk about how evil they are but in a visually medium if you don't show me that it's not going to convince me like the other imagery is. Really the majority of the cast suffered from having personalities projected onto them through dialogue and portentous, empty panels of text, rather than displayed in their scripted actions.

The art though is magnificent and worth price of entry alone. Sweeping, jagged silhouettes and scenes somehow staccato in their plotting but fluid in their execution, moody colouring with excellent use of palettes and brilliant and dramtic composition throughout, it's a proper treat to just look at. The covers and centre folds are absolutely laden with meaning while being incredibly impressive and clear at the same time. It picks up the story and drags it by the scruff of the neck, turning it from something that could have been simplistic and plain into a proper piece of drama on the page. Long panels, irregular and sparse, extend it and give it a terrific moodiness and aesthetic. I've read plenty comics where the art is brilliant, or complimentary, or brings something new to the plot, but this is totally transformative. It would probably be too much or too distracting pared with a better writer who new how to craft a good narrative, but here it totally works. The story dosen't have enough to it, but everything it does have, the art absolutely makes the most of. So, poor story but nonetheless excellent comic book basically.

Give Me Liberty was great fun. As usual with Miller, pretty bleak, but this one has it's tongue firmly in its cheek. Reminded me quite a bit of the Fallout Universe, in that satire and pop cultural commentary mix with outright human excess and unpleasantness. It's not post Apocalyptic, but I'd say it was going for as close as is possible without an actual apocalypse.

It's a dumb story, but it's a lovingly crafted, knowingly dumb story, and is a great read for it. The different factions and the pulpy lore, such as the Burger corporation who are at war with the United States because they want to deforest the Amazon for breeding ground for their cattle, are the best bits. There's not much depth to it, but the outlines for all the protagonists are very well sketched and plenty interesting and new enough. It has a pretty wide scope to so too much detail might have been confusing set against that.

The art is done by Dave Gibbons and it's just unbelievably impressive. Every panel could more or less work as a front cover for any other publication. The expression, the detail, the composition, his knowing when to show restraint and when to let fly and his ability to draw people is more or less unparalleled in my opinion. There's personality in every frame, not one of them is functional and filler. So yeah, another big recommendation from me.

Thank you for reading my words
    Last edited by sonson; 06-08-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Network Hub
    Martha Washington is pretty good, got the omnibus a few years ago and it's a nice contrast to Crazy All Star Batman Miller.

Black Charity - Bal Speer.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but after finishing playing the Batman: Arkham games I've been inspired to give some off the comic/graphic novels a go. Just wondering where a good place for a Batman novice would be to start?
    I have a new book out. Fancy some cynical fantasy comedy? Check it out:
    http://amzn.to/1oVrKlx

Read my other stories: http://tessstenson.blogspot.co.uk/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stense View Post
    Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but after finishing playing the Batman: Arkham games I've been inspired to give some off the comic/graphic novels a go. Just wondering where a good place for a Batman novice would be to start?
    There's two series of comics that relate to the Arkham Universe of Batman. The first is Arkham City and it explains the events leading up to and including the creation of the City itself. It was a limited run and you can now pick it up in a trade edition which is all of them in one hardback or softback cover.

The second is an ongoing series called Batman: Arkham Unhinged. It's currently on issue 17. You should be able to find them digitally no problem and there's probably trade collections as well.

Maybe check those out for something familiar to what you like?
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Network Hub
    Wanted something to read on the train to and from uni, so picked up some of The Darkness comics. Not very far in, only issue 15 but i'm loving it. The art and story are pretty great! I've never really got into reading comics before, glad I started.

Planning to hit up the store and buy the third volume of Mouse Guard or Fear Agent but I've been going through a bit of my old Surrogates book. Still as good as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by AlonePlusEasyTarget View Post
    You better drop those series then. All are not worth keeping up with.
    I'd agree with the others but One Piece? Oh, come on now.

And that dude better read up Vagabond. He'll know Takehiko Inoue. He'll know what good is.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Activated Node
    I've been reading two comics with an environmental slant recently, Great Pacific and The Massive. It's an interesting comparison.

Great Pacific is about a young oil heir who plots a coup to move to and take over of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. He seems to want to found an independent state there, though the ultimate goal is not very clear. Not that it matters, though, since it all soon goes wrong anyway.

The Massive is about a former mercenary who has become a peaceful environmentalist and finds himself, his ship and his crew in a world torn apart by massive environmental disasters, the reason for which is not very clear. (That's what you get with these first volumes...)

Besides the environmental themes and both having male protagonists trying to escape their own history, the two comics share a number of other elements as well. The science, for example, often tends towards magic. (Hello, mr. Clarke!) This is not uncommon for comics, of course, with all those superheros gallivanting about, but you'd expect stories like these to be a bit more down to earth. Great Pacific is the biggest offender here, where the main character has a device that turns oil into water by means of a plasma beam. In The Massive, the environmental disasters seem to sometimes have a paranormal quality, but as they're still unexplained, for now that's all up in the air.
    It seems in both cases any encounters with other settlements and cultures end badly. The garbage patch in Great Pacific is invaded by a primitive tribe, pirates, government and what have you and in The Massive every attempt to forage goes wrong in some way.

The main difference seems to be the quality of the way everything's implemented. As a result The Massive gets away with much more. The story and characters just make more sense. The same goes for the art as well. The garbage patch in Pacific is well realised, but for some reason all the characters seem to end up with a harelip, even when they're not related. The art in The Massive is stylised, not as unique as it could be, but competently done. All in all, The Massive wins!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EaglEye View Post
    I have read quite a few manga's so far and always interested in something new. Yet now I mainly focus the big series Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Fairy Tail and Beelzebub.

Feel sorry you are reading that,because those thats some crappy stuff you got there mate.

Banned
    Hunter x Hunter, my friend. Read - or watch - Hunter x Hunter.

As for Vagabond, is that the one about the vikings? I remember it was incredibly cool then it totally lost the plot when [spoiler]the king died.[/spoiler]. Stopped reading after that.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Been getting caught up with B.P.R.D. after a long break. If you've ever liked the idea of a Lovecraftian XCOM, this is probably up your alley.

Although after reading Return of the Master, I don't know where in the tee-totalling hell this series is going. I haven't been so impressed with a series' balls-out ambition since Fringe went off the air.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    Been getting caught up with B.P.R.D. after a long break. If you've ever liked the idea of a Lovecraftian XCOM, this is probably up your alley.

Although after reading Return of the Master, I don't know where in the tee-totalling hell this series is going. I haven't been so impressed with a series' balls-out ambition since Fringe went off the air.
    Ah lovecraftian xcom. I would kill for a BPRD game but it would *need* to have more than just fighting, some kind of investigation phase would be needed. And special characters.

I love the series but really I need Hellboy to return for my narrative comfort. It has spun off too far now though

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblazeuk View Post
    Ah lovecraftian xcom. I would kill for a BPRD game but it would *need* to have more than just fighting, some kind of investigation phase would be needed. And special characters.

I love the series but really I need Hellboy to return for my narrative comfort. It has spun off too far now though
    MAYBE SPOILERS BELOW

I don't really need Hellboy to return. I thought The Storm and the Fury was pretty clear-cut that his inherent ability to influence--for good or ill--the Ogdru Jahad's return has completely atrophied. I'm sure that that the army in Hell they've talked about (no spoilers if you've been reading Hellboy in Hell! I only read the trades!) will be important somehow, but he's off on his own now.

I'm mostly worried about Abe getting his own series. Maybe I've misinterpreted things, but it seems to me that the one constant with the Ogdru Hem is that they can transform creatures--especially humans--into new forms, which in turn feed into a (unique-to-each-Ogdru-Hem) lifecycle which empowers them to contribute to releasing the Ogdru Jahad. Abe seems to be one of these forms, descended from Oannes/Dagon (Oannes-Hem? Dagon-Hem?). So what is there to build upon past that?

/nerd thoughts
    Last edited by Drinking with Skeletons; 13-09-2013 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Edited to add spoiler tag

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Please stop whatever it is that you are doing, and get yourself an issue of Batman: Year 100.