Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    Well that's a different thing to an inability to link the two isn't it now.

As I was clearly watching the Thor film as an accurate documentary on Norse mythology. Though you are right about the comic, I remember Stan lee clearly saying it wasn't just a comic but accurate portrayals of said mythology.

Not that I've ever read a Thor comic as ought to be clear from the original question i posed. Oh well though.
    You formulate your sentences in a weird manner, I am not sure I understand you.

You said you can get over idiocies in the films because of your fondness towards the Vikings. I said that this mechanism does not work for me. You seem to imply that I am somehow wrong for having such an opinion.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    My TPB collection grows.

Initiative Vol 2.
    - Slowly growing on me. With the setup volume out of the way, some fun stuff in here. The final standalone story of the geeky, chubby, slow and clutz of a doofus recruit who is invulnerable to all harm - but is sadly incapable of feeling any physical intimacy either - has been the best thing in the two volumes so far. His power is used as a great narrative device in lovely little ways (he cannot be punished because its impossible).

In the clusterfuck that is American superhero comics, the story of a boy who has one of the most valuable powers there is but is not really meant to be a "hero" was really good. It was refreshing. The last two pages are special and the ending panel was just right. And making Taskmaster the drill instructor for the whole volume was a stroke of genius. All the best moments involved him.

And oh, the issue where Marvel explain how MVP is the "optimum" human and how it was achieved is so ludicrous that I didn't know whether to take it as it was or just feel insulted.

New Avengers: Breakout - I never really read much Avengers post Disassembled and pre Civil War so this gave me a chance. How the "new" Avengers assembled. Good fun and the writers and artists had a LOT of fun teasing readers with Jessica Drew and what is quite frankly, the hottest costume in comicdom.

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/sp...r/1100-145602/ - Avengers vs. X-Men: Limited Edition Hardcover Collection - I got lucky as a local store had the damn thing there on a shelf, wrapped! O_o Its expensive as fuck (Roughly 70 quid converted from Rupees to Pounds) but the entire saga in one place and that I rarely get things like this meant it was an impulse boy.

The actual story arc is complete and utter stupidity. Typical big event slug-o-fest which embodies the worst and best of American superhero stuff. But its so fucking well drawn and hell...its just fun watching the A list superhero cast beat the ever living shit out of each other nonstop. Thor can take a pounding like no one else. All in all, worth the purchase I think.
    Last edited by khaz; 02-12-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Hi, guys, you know where I can locate the whole Judge Dredd series having been published so far? Recently I watched the Dredd movie, and was impressed. I am so obsessed with cyberpunk works. The story of the movie is too simple and doesn't provide a comprehensive introduction of the whole Dredd universe. So I googled it, found out this is actually adaptation of a British comic published on a English comic periodical 2000 AD (kinda like Japanese's Jump to me, you know Jump? It's very Gintama is being published, cool~), but I just have no idea where I can read it. Dredd turns out to be a very large story with very interesting background story. Justice at the scene, cool man~

Actually I think it's like bringing our politics back to medieval time, when feudal lords, comprised by knights, with their mighty military power acting both as defenders and law enforcers. It's just that Judges in the Dredd's world are under the law in stead of above the law like feudal lords do.

Network Hub
    There's a series called the Collected Case Files that gathers all the older published Judge Dredd stories. I'm working through book one on and off at the moment and looking at the site reminded me just how long it'll take to get to the end of them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    He's coming out in a nice collected paperback edition now, the Complete Case Files, I did get the first volume which I didn't enjoy that much. The stories were a bit too short form for me, but I know there are some good stories later in the comics.

Edit: It's a lot of comics, they're up to I think 21-22 volumes of the case files?
    Last edited by mrpier; 19-12-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks a lot, Goateh. Long live Judge Dredd!! Believe it or not, first time I watched the movie last year and I already love this guy. Hail to PERFECT JUSTICE!!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Judge Dredd get's collected in "The Complete Case Files". There are currently 20 volumes in the Complete Case Files and 4 in The Restricted Files, but they include everything in the main story line. They don't include ( as far as I know ) cross overs, like Dredd vs Alien, Predator or whatever, but those haven't got anything to do with the Dredd universe and are just novelty fan service.

You can easily find them on the 2000AD site or Amazon, but I don't know what restrictions you might have to get through, if any, for getting them into China.

There's also a new Dredd series by IDW, but its very new and kind of based off the movie version. If you want the real Dredd stories go for The Case Files.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Actually no real restriction, but shipping cost for Amazon.com is really high. Amazon does have local operation here as Amazon.cn but it currently doesn't offer everything it offers in other Amazon.com's sister sites.

Anyway thanks you guys for the info. Is this comic still ongoing? I mean, continuing the main story of what the comic has been telling?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Actually no real restriction, but shipping cost for Amazon.com is really high. Amazon does have local operation here as Amazon.cn but it currently doesn't offer everything it offers in other Amazon.com's sister sites.

Anyway thanks you guys for the info. Is this comic still ongoing? I mean, continuing the main story of what the comic has been telling?
    It is still ongoing, they've never changed the continuity and Dredd has aged. So from 1977-now is one continuous story, he has also aged in real time. So I think now Dredd has had cancer and basically retired as he's an old man.

Be warned that quite a lot of Judge Dredd is fairly difficult for the non-British. I seem to remember Des O'Conner block coming under attack once.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I think that's definitely one of the coolest aspects of Dredd, that he has aged in real time and that everything is linked together. Thank god DC or Marvel never got the full rights to the character or he'd probably have been retconned a million times over.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Any recommendations for complete series either manga or comic ???

I enjoy allot of stuff so just spill and i'll see if its for my likings. Cheers*

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Any recommendations for complete series either manga or comic ???

I enjoy allot of stuff so just spill and i'll see if its for my likings. Cheers*
    Planetary by Warren Ellis is an excellent variation on superheroes.
    Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis is a crazy account of a life of a journalist in a sci-fi setting.
    Preacher by Garth Ennis is a classic. Brutal, "spiritual", hilarious journey of a lapsed preacher who accidentally became a carrier for Word of God.
    DMZ by Brian Wood follows a life of an amateur journalist in New York split by a new American civil war.
    Hotwire by Steve Pugh is a crazy-fun cyberpunk ghost story.
    Northlanders by Brian Wood is, I think, the best series about Vikings I have ever read. Pretty historical too.
    Wanted by Mark Millar is an original depiction of a world were supervillains won. Movie had nothing in common.

I can always spit some more recommendations out or say more about the above, if needed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    manga
    What exactly do you want?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Thanks mouton for detailed description. I read all of them except Northlanders,which reminds me of Vagabond manga :D

coldvvv@ Just name it men,i read everykind of manga. I'm not that picky.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Thanks mouton for detailed description. I read all of them except Northlanders,which reminds me of Vagabond manga :D
    Damn, you read Hotwire? Didn't expect that, it's kind of low-profile stuff. Oh okay, I can throw some more.

Fallen Angel by Peter David, a noir-ish gaiman-ish series. A bit crippled by publisher and artist changes, but very well written nonetheless.
    Pantheon by Bill Willingham is yet another superhero variation, albeit a very good one.
    Locke & Key by Joe Hill is quite surprising indie horror/mystery comic thing. Very well written and drawn - reading order might be confusing, though.
    The Astounding Wolf-Man by Robert Kirkman is a superhero werewolf story. Not as awesome as Invincible and Walking Dead, but typically of Kirkman, very well written.
    Punisher runs by Garth Ennis. First two is crazy wacky Ennis, later one is grim serious Ennis.
    Last edited by mouton; 23-12-2013 at 01:51 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    One Piece by Eiichiro Oda - for the greatest superhero series ever written and still being written. 1997 and still going. I can't stress enough what an adventure this series is. Nothing comes close to the painstaking detailed construction of its world over the last 15 years, its pure love of adventure, action and superheroes. The way it showcases every side of the story, how every single tease/foreshadowing/rumour/presumed lie/clue comes to life in glorious detail and you wonder how you never noticed it before, how it manages to fit in every single trope you can think of and still feel fresh, the way it values its characters and cast holding onto their principles and dealing with the consequences, how there is little to no retconning and the story constantly adds to its characters and to its universe. How a story that the author knows has a beginning, middle and an end and the value it can bring to your work by jam-packing it chock full of brilliance means you are in for one hell of a ride.

Death Note by Tsugumi Ohga (author) and Takeshi Obata (artist) - outstanding crime, thriller, noir, fantasy tale of a genius high school student who finds a "Death Note" which grants him the ability to kill anyone he knows the name and face of.

Bakuman by the same as above - a sort of biographical tale of two school kids who dream to be the world's greatest mangakas. Its an excellent story about how the manga and comic industry and creativity in general works and the pressures it brings into one's life. That it is also well written, succintly drawn, funny and has many sub-plots adding to the overall structure are all bonuses.

Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra - one man and his pet monkey are the only two survivors of the simultaneous death of every male mammal on the planet. Dystopian, black, often blackly comic too and worth a read. Be warned it does sag here and there but the setting and how an entirely female planet might live is well realised.

The Ultimates volumes 1 and 2 by Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch - Marvel's absolutely brilliant reboot of the Avengers and the Marvel universe in general. Believe me when I say you only want the first two volumes. Volume 3 and after is...umm....it never happened, ok?

Astonishing X-Men; Joss Whedon and John Cassaday's run - Whedon brings his writing skills to comic books and godamn it is a glorious ride. Cassaday's art is bright, colourful and crisp. It is a glorious love letter to superhero comics in general and stays away from the exhausting and bullshittery of universe crossing "event" storylines (Whedon expressly stated he had no interest in them). He brings the cast to life, deals with deadly serious and grim issues with his typical deftness and somehow manages to keep it funny and fresh throughout. As an incentive, my favourite panel from their run: http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...erns2-9-6b.jpg

Tom Strong by Alan Moore and Chris Spouse - a love letter and satire in one to the superhero genre and never afraid to make fun of itself or the stupidity of superhero comics in general. Its also an excellent sci-fi series. Just a fun read all round.

+1 for Punisher runs by Garth Ennis and Wanted.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    coldvvv@ Just name it men,i read everykind of manga. I'm not that picky.
    How about Eden? Just don't read it at work, it's seriously nsfw.

Can't say I liked it myself but I can't get it out of my head for years now which I can't say about most manga. It's heavily influenced by GITS and looks great. Starts deceptively with post-apocalypse setting but it's really not about that.
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 23-12-2013 at 08:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Damn i feel such a nerd because i read most of these suggestions haha. Right now i have Y-Men for my sis and she enjoys it,then i'm going to give her Bone (Very cute comic). For myself,Wolverine Origins!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Read a lot of comics this christmas on my Ipad, was a sale too, so not too expensive.

Locke and Key - really, really good.
    The Sandman, Overture - More sandman from Neil Gaiman, very excited about this.
    Planetary vol 1 - It was OK, expected more out of Warren Ellis though. Don't think I'll be reading more planetary though.
    The Flash Rebirth - OK, I guess, didn't inspire more reading
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 1 - same as above.

Damn Wolverine: Origins is so disappointing,from really medicore art to story with no head and tail. Only read 16 issuses but still,its quite bad so far.

So have anyone read it,does it get better later on ???
    Last edited by DaftPunk; 03-01-2014 at 01:21 PM.