Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Transformers have a rich history in comics but have been subject to numerous reboots over the years because of publishing decisions, bankruptcy, etc. IDW has the license in America right now, and several series that were mixed bags had two excellent books running at the moment. I really don't know if someone could jump in and enjoy them, but one of them had me paying for a single issue of a comic book for the first time in maybe ten years.

At this point the war with the Decepticons has ended with the rebirth of Cybertron. The planet is unfortunately very hostile after the changes it has been through. The Autobots and Decepticons are faced with the challenge of integration. Having "won" the Autobots have to stumble through tough decisions on how to use their newfound authority and exactly how much force is acceptable to keep their old enemies in line. On top of that, there is a sudden emigration of neutral bots that stood aside during the million-years-long war that decide to return home now that the smoke is clear, and they have a totally different philosophy about who should be in power and why. They view the Autobots as tyrants and warlike.

Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye deals with some robots that have gone off on a Quixotic quest now that hostilities have ended. It is oddball, funny, interesting, and tense and the creators have said they take inspiration from Justice League International, the classic funny years of the DC comic. Transformers: Robots in Disguise deals with the political situation and stresses on the rebuilt Cybertron. I'd recommend either, but the former is probably a better book to read if lacking frame of reference.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Holy shit yesterday was the day i read allot of the comics,i got day off and it was raining so it was perfect time for reading. I put through Venom (2011),Superman:Red Son,We3,Batman:Dark Knight Returns. I suggest all of them!
    DKR = Great. Dark Knight Strikes Back = awesome when I was 13. Start of the Goddamn Batman though I think.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    I need a new manga to read, suggestions? The only one I'm actively following now is Gantz, and I'm not even really sure why anymore. Nothing has really happened plot wise in like a year.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Catching up on Ichigo Mashimaro at the moment. Caved and started reading the scans online, I don't usually do that, but shops seem to be loathe to stock it or order it in!
    mickygor, Battlefield 3
    Otmer, League of Legends EUW
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I need a new manga to read, suggestions? The only one I'm actively following now is Gantz, and I'm not even really sure why anymore. Nothing has really happened plot wise in like a year.
    You can look up Blame!, that's a favorite of mine. It does take some pages to get going but it gets phenomenal soon after. Ichi the Killer is wort a look too.

Just had my first Midnighter read, issue #8. God, the writing's pure gold crammed in twenty or so pages and I'm starting to like the Midnighter. Is The Authority any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I'll recommend you A Bride's Story if you like some romance.

This is one's quite intriguing, to be honest and I shrugged off most romance stories (manga or otherwise).
    Last edited by Voon; 15-07-2012 at 04:42 AM.
    Art blog here.

Stuffed with pokemon doodles. And arse. Enter at your own risk.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I read CROSSED and wtf,its just gore,gore and gore. Totally shitty comic.
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Avengers vs the X-men
    Amazing Spider-man
    a few of the current X-men titles
    Green Lantern
    Superman
    a few of the Batman titles
    a few of the Star Wars titles
    Fantastic Four
    Justice League

Reading Bio-Meat for the second time,good stuff men.
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Is it me or the best things out of DC's New 52 right now is Animal Man and Swamp Thing? I've just read four issues of both of the series and they're just fantastic.

Animal Man had some of the most disturbing horror scenes ever in the comic thanks to Foreman's walking organ fest. His art grew on me eventually, which was fine (I did miss his art in the Rotworld arc) but what really shines about the comic was the writing. Lemire does know how to write some great stuff and he manages to keep Buddy in character along with making all the other cast pretty likable.

Swamp Thing, on the other hand, made me regret that I didn't pick up Moore's run on him. Snyder's doing pretty well with him, so far and I like the way he touches on theme of choice. Love the art, especially in the spreads and I can't stop reading the whole damn thing!

I wouldn't recommend both of them if you're not the kind of guy who can take body horror. They're full of it, so don't try to read them while you're eating dinner. Shame that both of the series would continue this October instead of September.
    Art blog here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Hmm yeah I read a few issues and both and think they are pretty strong...its soemthing i would like to get in trade along with Batman and generously drawn Batwoman

I only read new version of Animal Men,pretty good stuff so far.

Any suggestions for good horror comics/Manga ?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Hellblazer has a lot of horror, same with the first few issues of Sandman. I'm sure you can find collections of the old EC comics, Tales from the Crypt too, they might seem a bit goofy/campy now a days, but can be entertaining reads none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Any suggestions for good horror comics/Manga ?
    I'm sure you'll love some of Junji Ito's work. Uzumaki or Gyo would be good.
    Art blog here.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpier View Post
    Hellblazer has a lot of horror, same with the first few issues of Sandman. I'm sure you can find collections of the old EC comics, Tales from the Crypt too, they might seem a bit goofy/campy now a days, but can be entertaining reads none the less.

Read little bit of HellBlater and i didn't liked it,Tales From The Crypt,kinda can't get in to them,to old lol..Gonna check out The Sandman,thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    I'm sure you'll love some of Junji Ito's work. Uzumaki or Gyo would be good.

Already read those long ago,any other suggestions ?

How about Berzerk?
    Art blog here.

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    How about Berzerk?

One armed black haired gatsu fighting hordes of evil,set in medieval times ?

If yes,i read that to :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Recently I am reading a manga Midnight Diner (Shinya Shokudo) by Mr. Yaro Abe.

I noticed this manga due to the recent broadcast of a TV drama adaptation of this manga. I was busy at office in the last few months (business and effort only, credit of achievements all goes to my bosses and those sitting next to and watching me) so I missed the show (Joe Odagiri also cast in the drama, I need to find a way to watch it!). It's about a diner located in a back street in Shinjuku, the famous red light zone of Tokyo. As you can imagine. This diner, as the title of the manga sugguested, opened during the night till the next dawn. As you could expect, customers are mostly social underdogs.

This is an interesting diner that the owner and the sole cook maintained a very simple menu, including only the Pork Soup Meal, beer, Sake (a Japanese spirit, which I heard is somewhat as powerful as whiskey if not as vodka), and rice wine. He also restricted consumption of alcohol for each customer to no more than three glassess (for obvious reason, only one man to run the diner and you cannot control alcohol induced violence). However, you can order anything that the owner know how to make, when he happened to have the ingredient. A group of customers, each with his or her own special taste, take it as a refuge in such a small yet warm diner from the difficulty of life. It's a very touching manga.

And this publishing of this manga is ongoing, too. More new stories are going to come.
    Last edited by squirrel; 05-08-2012 at 11:25 AM.

^^Sounds interesting,i was just browsing through google yesterday searching for some more touching realistic manga.

Right now i started with Preacher comic,its interesting so far.

Just finished reading Before Watchmen: Rorschach 1. Um... let's just say that art is the one of the only good things in this one.