Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obscure Node

No one talking Endless Space? 4X Space making a comeback??

I've been reading RPS for a while. My favorite games site along with NoHighScores. This finally goaded me to register, though.

What could be the best 4X in a very long while, made by an indie with incredible backstory, graphics... all with the developers in discussion with the Forum group.

... and no one discusses? surprising. Alpha showing up this week. Game will be on Steam.

http://www.amplitude-studios.com/

Banned
    Man, better to admit to being the dev than anything else.

Activated Node
    Shall we not go down that road. I went to the site and it is a little thin on the details. Nice art though.

Obscure Node
    me a Dev? ha! They're French.

Just sharing the love... everyone can make their own call of course.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MACEM4N View Post
    me a Dev? ha! They're French.

Just sharing the love... everyone can make their own call of course.
    Eh, not bothered, but if you're found out to be a dev people will be more irritated than anything else. :p

Looks pretty good. Not enough demo / videos for there to be a lot of buzz around it, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    It's a French game. Does it have anything else besides a story and artsy graphics ?

Obscure Node
    My understanding is the alpha release is imminent. all the info is on their forums. and yes i'm there under the same name NOT listed as a dev team ;) but whatevs.

I was more hoping the RPS guys would look into it as they're likely to get more info.

Hey guys,
    just a quick word, I am a dev on the game, and Maceman is one of our community members and not part of the team (although we really appreciate him). So he is not a spy in disguise ;)
    Borsuk, I definitely understand your view on how "French games" are usually seen, although please bear in mind that we are an international team based in Paris, which would be more accurate to describe us.
    We are making a strategy game, so our main concerns are strategy, depth and replayability. But yes we hope to believe that making a deep game, doesn't mean that you have to make it ugly and unaccessible :)
    Anyway the alpha should be up tonight, so you guys will be able to judge....

ST

PS: being a dev I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting here, if I am please forgive me and feel free to erase my post.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceTroll View Post
    Hey guys,
    just a quick word, I am a dev on the game, and Maceman is one of our community members and not part of the team (although we really appreciate him). So he is not a spy in disguise ;)
    Borsuk, I definitely understand your view on how "French games" are usually seen, although please bear in mind that we are an international team based in Paris, which would be more accurate to describe us.
    We are making a strategy game, so our main concerns are strategy, depth and replayability. But yes we hope to believe that making a deep game, doesn't mean that you have to make it ugly and unaccessible :)
    Anyway the alpha should be up tonight, so you guys will be able to judge....

ST

PS: being a dev I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting here, if I am please forgive me and feel free to erase my post.
    Devs are allowed to post and all that. Even the occasional bot. What we don't like is a dev posing as a consumer and playing dumb. Thank you for the details of your game. Some RPS members would enjoy taking a look, I'm sure. And best of luck to developing it.
    Can be found on Steam, Evolve and Eve Online.

(_)

( _)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Network Hub
    Here are my thoughts: Your site doesn't work without javascript. This is bad. Your site is riddled with marketing-speak and no technical details. This is bad. Most people who play 4X games would probably rather have technical details. Your video is narrated by a computer. This is odd. The graphics look nice. This is good. Why does your game have sound in space? This is bad. Space is empty, there is no medium through which sound waves could travel. Why does your game have flames in space? This is bad. There is no air in space which makes combustion impossible. What will your game run on? Windows? Linux? Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by caljohnston View Post
    Here are my thoughts: Your site doesn't work without javascript. This is bad. Your site is riddled with marketing-speak and no technical details. This is bad. Most people who play 4X games would probably rather have technical details. Your video is narrated by a computer. This is odd. The graphics look nice. This is good. Why does your game have sound in space? This is bad. Space is empty, there is no medium through which sound waves could travel. Why does your game have flames in space? This is bad. There is no air in space which makes combustion impossible. What will your game run on? Windows? Linux? Mac?
    We made choices to create our universe, and the first one was to not make it realistic. I am really sorry that you do not like that :(
    Our game is not a space empire simulator: our universe is colorful, noisy and a touch "magical"...
    To summarize it is a Science Fantasy universe...

I think, that being a strategy game, although we wanted to give a special attention to the universe, it is not all about whether this is a realistic or not. For me in the end, its depth will make the difference.

Banned
    Just saw it on Steam. Congrats and such. VERY tempted. Sell me, damn it. >:|

18:53 - [DFC]Cheese: What is the game?
    18:53 - [DFC] RF the Asswise: wat
    18:53 - [DFC]Cheese: The description isn't very descriptive
    18:53 - [DFC] RF the Asswise: It's a 4x.
    18:53 - [DFC]Cheese: oh wait
    18:53 - [DFC]Cheese: nevermind
    18:53 - [DFC] RF the Asswise: xD
    18:53 - [DFC] RF the Asswise: What did you think it was?
    18:53 - [DFC]Cheese: I couldn't tell
    18:54 - [DFC]Cheese: I thought maybe an MMO because of the special editions or something like that

Yeah.

EDIT: Two main questions: One, wtf is Game2Gether. Two, any gameplay footage we could watch?
    Last edited by R-F; 02-05-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Just saw this game on steam and had never heard of it, so googled it and ended up here. I think it looks pretty interesting.

Wanted to say - about the sounds in space thing - almost all space things have sound in space. And almost all also have physics where you have to maintain thrust to maintain speed, whereas until you reach some decent fraction of the speed of light this wouldn't really be true.

These things work best when unrealistic. Just my view. I would like an RPS feature on this, so I don't have to figure out for myself if it really will be any good.

Banned
    Yeah, it's impossible to implement space combat without those things. About the closest I've seen without them is Warhammer 40k fluff, and even then the space combat is a bit... Iffy in terms of tactics.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

looks awesome by xxxx standards :D

Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post

looks awesome by xxxx standards :D

reminds me a bit of Sins. and the trailer is gorgeous. crossing my fingers this one turns out good. and curious about the prospects of multiplayer- if it exists. but yeah, wow.

the website mentions drop in multiplayer, so gotta assume its gonna have some mp action

Also re: whoever dissed the french on game developing:

I thought that 40K alike shooter was pretty neat, of course, I cant remember the name of, but I did buy it, and was impressed by the sheer craziness.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Activated Node
    That must be firewarrior I think it was called, now theres a fun game to play through if you want to see some neat WH40k fluff. The game was kind of crap from what I remember though.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    "CATS", he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

nope. I said "40K ALIKE" not actual 40k
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."