Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    EYE : Divine Cybermancy?

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post

EDIT: Two main questions: One, wtf is Game2Gether. Two, any gameplay footage we could watch?
    Games2Gether explained (sorta?)
    . The newly formed Amplitude Games has taken the wraps off its first game, and are inviting feedback through a process called "Games2gether." [snip] The Games2gether initiative lets you vote on proposed game ideas by spending points. You get 100 points for free, and the site says an "Admiral Pre-Order package" is coming soon. It will include 2,000 points
    Also, from the devs' web site

So it's basically a financial meritocracy like the higher kickstarter tiers where if you pay more you can influence the game and the developers will pretend they want to play board games with you. Except that it's not nearly as well-defined as kickstarter tiers. Seems really loosey goosey, really. Doesn't say anything about the quality of the game but strikes me as oddly egotistic.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    nope. I said "40K ALIKE" not actual 40k
    This is a real longshot guess - Apocalyptica?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5nstyibObk

Obscure Node
    yeah playable Alpha is released on Steam and this is a very pretty and playable game for Alpha.

If you look at the pedigree of the developers you'll understand why this is such a solid offering. no rookies in this mix.

If you're the type who likes to play a 4x vaguely MOO2 like game and have the developers responsive to your wishlist... this might be your thing.

just saying....

PS Thanks to SpaceTroll for backing me up :) The RPS Trolls came out hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    This is a real longshot guess - Apocalyptica?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5nstyibObk
    no... what R-F said, apparently just before he was banned. EYE : Divine Cybermancy
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

This looks really awesome and what little hands on is out there seems super positive. Only reason I haven't jumped in yet is because I'm torn whether I want to give my 4X love to this, Sins Rebellion or Fallen Enchantress.

so, yay, they did a feature! Thanks RPS

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Jumped into this today and it really is quite nice.

It is quite similar to SOTS2 (hints of MOO/Galciv2 in there too). The main things I've picked up on are:
    UI is really slick compared to a lot of 4X games (well, SOTS) - I can't think of any menu you need more than 2 clicks to access. Tooltips are everywhere. My favourite part is the standard "such and such a system has finished building blah" events, which automatically updates the "next build" as you change build queues - so you can keep going back to check you've assigned a build job to all your planets.
    Multiple planets of various types per star system, which all contribute to an overall system resource-base (Food/Manufacturing/Science/Dust).
    As the RPS article said, Dust == Spice - it's your currency but it's also used for special abilities
    You can hire "heroes" to govern your planets or command your fleets, giving them bonuses, plus levelling them up and selecting skills
    Music is really quite nice.
    Battles are quite different to anything I've played before. They are split into 5 real-time phases - "Start", Long Range, Medium Range, Short Range, "End". You have no direct control over your ships; instead, you select different "cards" (unlocked by research, modules, heroes, etc.) for each of the 3 combat phases, giving bonuses to your ships or affecting the enemy. Cards of a certain type also counter cards of another, but of course you don't know which cards your opponent will pick!
    The flavour text is to die for. It's a great mix of humour and geekiness.

Network Hub
    Picked this up and im very impressed. Sunk 2 hours into which seemed to fly by. Some notes,

.Colony ships are shit expensive makes early expansion difficult if your not paying attention to what your colonising.
    .Cravers are fucking c*nts. 36 turns into it and two of them have already started picking on me (yet oddly they haven't War Decc'ed )
    .Heros are a nice touch and add a bit of flavour to the game.
    .One of the best UI's iv played for a Grand Strategy game!
    .Music is fantastic.
    .Combat is interesting but i don't know how long before ill just auto assign it. Love the fact it puts you under pressure to decide what to do will be a life saver in multiplayer.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The combat seems to need some work - both me and the AI have eventually converged on "fill everything with flak and missiles". This basically comes down to "who has more ships and remembers to play the camouflage card", as 3 dreads all firing 20-missile salvoes at each other ends up in insta-death all round. The problem with beams/kinetics is that, whilst you can kill the missileboats, their missiles are already in the air unless you kill them very quickly.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny252 View Post
    The combat seems to need some work - both me and the AI have eventually converged on "fill everything with flak and missiles". This basically comes down to "who has more ships and remembers to play the camouflage card", as 3 dreads all firing 20-missile salvoes at each other ends up in insta-death all round. The problem with beams/kinetics is that, whilst you can kill the missileboats, their missiles are already in the air unless you kill them very quickly.
    The problem I feel is that it goes against the whole card game system they use for combat anyway. It feels strange having designed specific ships and know next to nothing one how they actually perform in combat. It's quite frustrating and is probably the games weakest aspect for me.

My other big gripe with it is the lack of proper blockading nodes. I hate enemy ships managing to slip by a planet that i have blockaded it's just retarded. Other then that it's the best 4X game iv played in a very long time.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Just got this today, and holy shit is it a pleasant surprise.

10 things:

1. Planets seem to be customizable solely to improve star systems, which are the equivalents of colonies in MOO2. Not sure what my opinion of this is yet.
    2. Combat is odd but has potential. Reminds me a bit of Death Angel: The Card Game. It becomes more interesting when you add heroes to the mix.
    3. Hero development is simple but a great addition to the genre.
    4. Good balance of seriousness and humor in the flavor text; I thought one of Gal Civ II's flaws was that it veered too far into the wacky end of the spectrum.
    5. Concerned about the "Good/Evil" diplomacy alignment listed during race selection. Didn't like it in Gal Civ II, don't like it here; what race considers itself evil? On top of that, I don't know what these qualities do in-game.
    6. Ship design and refitting is worlds simpler than in MOO2 but still engaging. Hooray!
    7. UI is slick but it is sometimes too unobtrusive. It's easy to forget to check on things when the only notification is a little gray button. Some kind of reminder about idle scouts would be nice, too.
    8. I wish the game would not rush me into combat from the strategic map. Isn't this supposed to be a turn-based game?
    9. Tech tree is a blast to poke around in!
    10. Nice race designs. The Horatio are particularly charming/weird.

Adam Smith, May 4th -Expect a full write up next week and expect to email me about my failure to meet your expectations on Friday. Soon though, I promise
    Dammit Smith, where are my thoughts and opinions!?

Game looks like a right little gem.

Network Hub
    With the flak/beam/missile system of weapons and counters, the game could really use some espionage options to see what techs your opponents are developing in order to counter. Failing that, some system of recording the stats of enemy ship classes you've seen in combat would be helpful.

That said, it seems that every AI goes with flak from the beginning, so flak defence + missiles seems to be the way to go.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I'm glad someone brought this topic back up again, because I just bought it. Excited to try it later on.

Good timing to get on board as the beta is supposed to be released today or tommorow.