Gamepad keyboard mapping

I've been downloading some indie games I would love to play with my gamepad which do not support it. I would love to map the keys to my gamepad. What's the RPS recommendation for the best software to do that thing?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    GlovePie. It can remap keyboard keys and uses DirectInput as well as standard polling. If you're not sure what that means let's just say it will work with any type of game you throw at it.

PROTIP: Ignore the scripting tab, move on to the GUI tab and you can easily remap keys with a user friendly interface. Don't forget to save after you're done though.

Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    GlovePie. It can remap keyboard keys and uses DirectInput as well as standard polling. If you're not sure what that means let's just say it will work with any type of game you throw at it.
    Wow. That has everything but Kinect support, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they add it considering they already have Wii Remote support apparently.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Wow, I actually misunderstood your post!
    I thought you meant you wanted to remap the number pad on your keyboard as WASD keys. Derp!

Since you actually want a gamepad to keyboard emulator... GlovePie isn't exactly the best option for certain situations. Mainly because for a lot of cases you will have to manually script your button maps which is a pain.

You have two other alternatives:
    joy2key - old school simple app that maps buttons as well as analogue stick axes - but only to the mouse. It's simplistic but free.
    Pinnacle Game Profiler - Brilliant app that has a ton of features. I loved it for the simple reason that it mapped mouse movement to the d-pad with motion smoothing. Such a brilliant feature!
    It costs $20 though. I found it worthwhile as I play a lot of console ports and console games through emulation.

Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    Wow, I actually misunderstood your post!
    I thought you meant you wanted to remap the number pad on your keyboard as WASD keys. Derp!

Since you actually want a gamepad to keyboard emulator... GlovePie isn't exactly the best option for certain situations. Mainly because for a lot of cases you will have to manually script your button maps which is a pain.

You have two other alternatives:
    joy2key - old school simple app that maps buttons as well as analogue stick axes - but only to the mouse. It's simplistic but free.
    Pinnacle Game Profiler - Brilliant app that has a ton of features. I loved it for the simple reason that it mapped mouse movement to the d-pad with motion smoothing. Such a brilliant feature!
    It costs $20 though. I found it worthwhile as I play a lot of console ports and console games through emulation.
    Thanks for coming back. I've heard of joy2key, but I hadn't seen your other option. I will have to take a close look at it.

Network Hub
    i use Joytokey for most stuff if i need to map a keyboard/mouse to my gamepad.

Network Hub
    I use xpadder, not sure if you have to pay for newer versions, but not hard to find the old free one. It's what most people use for emulators etc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Another option could be Eventghost. It's intended to be used with remotes but recognizes most gamepad signals too and can translate them into keyboard inputs.

Obscure Node
    xpadder is shareware for win7. im using CTK http://gamepadtokeyboard.artistspage.de its free and simple to use.

Obscure Node
    Does anyone have a script setup to run the 360 right thumb stick for looking around (like a mouse)

Obscure Node
    Thanks for sharing.