Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Network Hub
    There's a thread on this over at the bay12 forums, this post is by the author.

Quote Originally Posted by Splynter View Post
    What on earth is a real time book? The ones I read are turn based.

Seriously though, what the hell does that mean?
    To answer your question Splynter:

"This book represents an experiment by O'Reilly in "real time" publishing. This means the book is likely to get frequent updates - I believe that people who buy the book will actually get updates pushed to them as the book is maintained on an ongoing basis by me (and possibly others). I love being part of an experiment, makes me feel dwarfy."

I'm guessing that's in reference to an e-book version as I can't see them making money mailing out new pages and chapters as they're done.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    It's not lacking a manual. It's lacking a decent UI. Well not even a decent, just something that isn't plain horrible and counter-intuitive.
    I w[o]uld [r]eply to yo[u], but i wou[l]d [h]ave to pr[e]ss O-R-U-L-H on the keyboard and that takes me alot of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jajusha View Post
    I w[o]uld [r]eply to yo[u], but i wou[l]d [h]ave to pr[e]ss O-R-U-L-H on the keyboard and that takes me alot of time.
    Too simple. In DF you'd also need a few numbers and arrow keys.

w[0]uld [3]reply to (choose who with arrows [tip not stated in game]), but i wou[l]d [h]ave to pr[e]ss a shitload of stuff.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Maybe I'll play this game when they hire an artist/have actual graphics. I love the concept but what a fucking eye sore. And I love old games.

I think it actually looks ok with a better font, preferably one that makes squares squares. Tried some of those graphics mods too but found the colored walls painful to look at.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleekill View Post
    Maybe I'll play this game when they hire an artist/have actual graphics. I love the concept but what a fucking eye sore. And I love old games.
    This is all you'll ever need.

Quote Originally Posted by Xune View Post
    I'm guessing that's in reference to an e-book version as I can't see them making money mailing out new pages and chapters as they're done.
    That would make the most sense. Not a bad idea, actually.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    That would make the most sense. Not a bad idea, actually.
    They should start doing that with programming books too because hoo-lee sheet it is a pain trying a new tech that has the documentation from 2 versions ago.

MST3K predicted it.

Hi all. Book author here :)

As has been stated the book features "Real Time" updates whereby I will be updating the book whenever Toady puts out a major DF release (eg, this year that would be the "Valentines Day" release and the Minecart release so far). Everyone who buys the book through O'Reilly gets their ebooks updated for free. Print books are current to the most current release when purchased. Hope that helps explain things.

Activated Node
    Dwarf Fortress has a manual now? It's on its way to the EA train everyone must boycott.

Quote Originally Posted by SouperSteve0 View Post
    Dwarf Fortress has a manual now? It's on its way to the EA train everyone must boycott.
    Boycott EA train waah? Me confused :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyPirate View Post
    Boycott EA train waah? Me confused :(
    He's ridiculing, using opposition, about how the game becoming so mainstream it even has a manual. Some day it may even get a tutorial! And 2D graphics!

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    He's joking about the game becoming so mainstream it even has a manual.

Some day it may even get a tutorial! And 2D graphics!
    Burn the Heretic!

Network Hub
    Burn him, what kind of dwarf fortress player are you? Surely you want to send his wife into battle with their baby and once they're dead you lock him in a room with no booze or food and rain cats on him. Finally, when he cares about nothing anymore, you tell him to operate a pump in the corner of the room that slowly fills his own chamber with magma. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Xune View Post
    Burn him, what kind of dwarf fortress player are you? Surely you want to send his wife into battle with their baby and once they're dead you lock him in a room with no booze or food and rain cats on him. Finally, when he cares about nothing anymore, you tell him to operate a pump in the corner of the room that slowly fills his own chamber with magma. :P
    Good point. I momentarily lost track of my dwarfiness - I blame the food poisoning I'm currently enjoying. Anyway, there's a deal on the ebook - $8 with the code "DEAL". Not bad! http://shop.oreilly.com/category/ebooks.do

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    I agree that it doesnt need a manual, its needs a UI. Half the joy of the game is figuring stuff out, the other half is Fun.
    I dont include figuring out what button you have to press to do what, its the doing not the pressing that is important. But you need the pressing to do the doing, you see what i mean?

I really not going back to it until it gets a UI, and will probably ignore any and all manuals that are released.