Cheap laptop that will run Total War

Hey all, I recently converted my mate who exclusively plays Xbox games to the Total War series. He loves them, when he comes round that's all he wants to play. Naturally, he wants to play them in his own free time, but hasn't actually got a PC. He's decided buying a laptop would be the way to go and doesn't have much more than 500 to spend.

I'm a desktop gamer myself and won't go near laptops so I'm rather clueless. Would a 500 laptop run the total wars? Specifically Empire and Shogun 2? What does he need to look out for and what does he want to avoid? I should mention that Total War is probably all that will be played (with the exception of Diablo 3) and he doesn't care about them being on the lowest graphical settings as long as it works. What would you guys advise?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    The first question: Which Total War? I don't know if you're going to get Shogun II running on a cheap laptop, honestly. That game makes desktops sweat.

yeah, I thought Shogun 2 was going to be unlikely. His favorite is Empire though so any chances of that?

I had Empire running on what was essentially laptop hardware: A Core2Duo with an AMD Mobility 2600 whatchamacallit. That was 2 years ago, and it worked fine.

The real ending to the story was breaking down and buying a desktop, regretting I'd spent the money in the first place. If your primary focus with the machine will be games, and you buy a laptop, you're going to have a bad time.

Yeah, that was exactly my advice to him. I think he'll have to make do with Rome and Medieval

I actually got Shogun 2 running on a $300 netbook .

It didn't run for very long or in any playable way. But it still ran.

I believe it took 30 minutes to load the overmap and crashed two battles in.

If your friend doesn't mind choppiness and low settings you could certainly get it running on a decent mid range lap top. But honestly I'd never recommend laptop gaming when you could get a very nice desktop setup for the same price.
    Last edited by Bhazor; 01-05-2012 at 02:06 AM.

For 500 pounds you could build a pretty bastardly ​PC.

I miss read the OP as $500 instead of 500.
    For 500 you could run anything out there at the highest setting no problem.

Well, if you don't mind sticking with a diddy screen which seems to always be the part I neglect when making a computer. Top of the line GPU, 8 core CPU, 8 GB ram and a 15 inch monitor.
    FML.

Got any recommendations Bhazor?