Obscure Node

Replacing laptop keys

Hey,
    My 'w' key isn't responsive, making gaming a bitch. I've haven't got alot of tech knowledge but I'm curious, is there any of way of fixing it without getting a new one? My laptop is an alienware M15X. Also, as far as removing it goes, I presume I don't just pry it out? How does that work?
    Thanks,

Network Hub
    do you get any input from the key itself, like in word documents etc? if not, you are looking at a full keyboard replacement. contact Dell.

Obscure Node
    I get some input however it requires pressing it heavily and won't always work, will I need an entire keyboard replacement for just a single key?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Probably yes, the sensors that registers the keypresses usually sits on a sort of circuit mat and there is no way to just replace the one of them. Do an image search for "inside keyboard" or something similar and you'll see what I mean.

Check there's no dirt under the key first. Working in schools this is the most common cause of "HELP!!! Keyboard not working" problems I come across.

Obscure Node
    Hm, after pressing it just recently I heard a kind of 'CRACK' sound, now its working perfectly, so I'll just pretend nothing ever happened.
    Thanks for the input guys!

Network Hub
    that was the cookie you were eating a little while ago

;)

Yeah, be glad it cleared up-- it was probably a bit of crisp (or chip or whatever you call it) stuck in there. Otherwise, yeah-- you typically do have to replace the whole keyboard to fix a single key. Depending on the type of keyboard, it may be more or less difficult to pop the key off and clean under it, too-- some of them are very difficult to clean like that without breaking important pieces of the key mechanism, too...
    Вы такие сексапильные, когда злитесь.