Obscure Node

Portal 1986 Reimagining - A kickstarter project

Hello guys, I'm sure a lot of people will be interested in the remake of the awesome 1986 adventure game Portal.

Basically it was a text game where you had to browse computer archives to unravel a great story about the disparition of mankind. Great story telling, and the scenario was adapted as a novel later.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/subgames/rob-swigarts-portal-1986-reborn

Now I'm a big fan of this game and seeing it remade is just so great not to share it with people, especially people on RPS who have a more "broad" sense of what gaming is and do not only cover triple-A games. Their team is made of people in the industry and I wouldn't be shocked if I learned they already asked for funding in big companies but were denied.

They have reasonable funding demands (900k) and aren't afraid to say it (tax money, marketing, etc.). They want to make a great game... The thing is they lack media coverage and did not advance much sadly. I'm hoping those few words will help spread the word!

Here's an entry on wikipedia about the original game : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal_(interactive_novel)
    And a video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioBTcRHvKk4

Do not worry, the recreation of the game wouldn't be text-based, they would remake it a third person game, still highly story-driven.
    Last edited by pival; 01-05-2012 at 12:58 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    I gave money to double fine, but that's about it. I don't have any confidence in all these random people making random remakes of games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    For nearly $1 million, I'd be expecting big things.

Still my biggest concern is that the entire thing relies on memories of an IF game from the 1980s. I'm not sure if any of that is still particularly relevant.

Obscure Node
    They have the writer of the original game ("Rob will serve as Executive Producer on the project."), as well as several others:

"Eric Dieter will serve as Creative Director, ensuring the project meets with artistic expectations. Eric is the writer of the internal "series bible" and comic book miniseries for Irrational Games' Freedom Force video game series, story and voiceover contributor on the indie StarCraft Universe project, and has voiced for game titles like Heroes of Newerth and Mystery of the Ancients. Artist, 3D modeler, and composer Joel Steudler (Dawn of Fantasy) will be providing music, storyboards, and 2D graphics.
    The rest of our core team will be handling level design, puzzle design, concept art, character models, user interface design, and more. These members are currently wrapping up their work at other studios and will be introduced in the weeks and months ahead. Additional members necessary to round out the team will be retained upon completion of the Kickstarter campaign.
    Some of the authors we have tentative agreements with for in-game content are: MATT COSTELLO (The 7th Guest, The 11th Hour, Doom 3, Rage), PHIL ROSSI (Crescent, Harvey, Eden), NATHAN LOWELL (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper Series), JAMES MELZER (Zombie Chronicles, Hull's Landing), JOHN MIERAU (Harlan's Wake, The List, Asunder) and MUR LAFFERTY (The Takeover, Playing For Keeps, Heaven).
    PHIL ROSSI and MUR LAFFERTY, both accomplished voice actors as well as authors, will also be pulling double-duty with their portrayal of Peter's parents, Ran and Seemie Devore.
    We are also extremely excited to announce that fan-favorite voice actor,STEPHEN RUSSELL (Thief, System Shock 2, Freedom Force, Fallout 3, Skyrim) has also agreed to join our cast upon a successful completion of this Kickstarter campaign! "

I know now is the time of the big questioning about Kickstarter projects... I just wanted to share this project with you. :) Perhaps a few people will be interested.
    I read the novel two years ago and it was a very good surprise!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield...02:31be9h.6.36

Isn't that going to be a problem?

Disappointed this isn't Portal with gaudy colours and a synthpop soundtrack.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Kudos for having an opening quote by Timothy Leary.

"reasonable funding demands (900k)"

Also OP, just a tip. Registering just to spam what is probably your own kickstarter is halfway through to start a flamewar and only makes whoever is behind the kickstarter looks bad.

Just replace "they" with "we" or "I" and all is fine. good luck with that.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.doo View Post
    "reasonable funding demands (900k)"

Also OP, just a tip. Registering just to spam what is probably your own kickstarter is halfway through to start a flamewar and only makes whoever is behind the kickstarter looks bad.
    Eh... it's not my project. I just thought it might need a kick, since i really enjoyed the game and saw almost not coverage of this kickstarter project...

Google my username if you want :/

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pival View Post
    Eh... it's not my project. I just thought it might need a kick, since i really enjoyed the game and saw almost not coverage of this kickstarter project...

Google my username if you want :/
    It's ok guise, I checked him out on googke. It isn't his project, but he is responsive, long-term partners for value-added logistics.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by icupnimpn2 View Post
    It's ok guise, I checked him out on googke. It isn't his project, but he is responsive, long-term partners for value-added logistics.
    Well that's me convinced

Obscure Node
    Oh well, I shouldn't have been a fanboy. I now know fanboyism is lame and can do the opposite of good advertising.
    Nevermind this thread then. I just wanted to tip you on on something that seemed to me as unnoticed.

Network Hub
    $900.000? If this happens I'll smash my left nut with a hammer

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Aw, pival, don't let the hostiles bring you down. It sounds like an interesting project, just a bit "pie in the sky" at this point. I'd never heard of the original.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by icupnimpn2 View Post
    I'd never heard of the original.
    This is the biggest point. I doubt most people would really care that this guy had a game back in 1986, and pretty much the whole project makes reference to this game and relies upon it as the basis of getting you to donate.

Quote Originally Posted by ZIGS View Post
    Watch out man. Things can happen.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    If Notch just tweets about this project once - you are fuсked.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I have now donated to this project only to see this happen.

No offense, mate. It's just good PR.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.