Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar

DayZ StandAlone Sitrep

I'm kinda surprised that this isn't on RPS' main page, but about half a day ago Rocket posted a rather meaty sitrep about what the current status of the DayZ standalone is like.

Full post available here.

For the TL;DR-ers:

-Steamworks, for better or worse.
    -Switch to MMO architecture.
    -Server will force certain graphic settings upon ALL users (Draw Distance for example).
    -Simplified UI.
    -Further reworking of Chernarus.
    -Almost everything is now coded as an "entity" which will allow huge customization.
    -They're still looking for an alpha release before the end of the year, but will push it back if necessary, they will not rush the game at the expense of quality.

At first I was kinda skeptical about having to pay for DayZ again after buying Arma2CO, but after reading all that they're doing to the engine and map, I'd feel like bad if I were to get it for free.

I can't wait for this, especially for the new UI changes. I wonder how much it'll cost? 10?

I just hope more enterable stuff does not also mean more deaths by doors/not being able to get in because ARMA. That aside, I'm really looking forward to this, I haven't been playing DayZ since the last reset and I hear there's tons of cheaters around these dayz.

Edit: Rauten's tl;dr missed the most important thing: There will be hats.
    Last edited by Labbes; 29-11-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Network Hub
    I'll just play private hives so they don't restrict stuff like draw distance, so sick of games doing this just because there are people with crap PCs... upgrade. Also Private hives are much better because they always have admins on to ban hackers where as anti cheat stuff like VAC sucks and takes ages to ban them so they can still ruin your fun. Private hives always have great communities too, you tend to find the same people visit over and over.

I'm not a fan of them making it universal, they should go fully private hive and you don't have to worry about their servers crapping out because you know they will.

Quote Originally Posted by TixyLixx View Post
    I'll just play private hives so they don't restrict stuff like draw distance, so sick of games doing this just because there are people with crap PCs... upgrade...
    Yes, because everyone can afford to upgrade constantly and alienating most of your player is a good idea.
    Well done.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TixyLixx View Post
    I'll just play private hives so they don't restrict stuff like draw distance, so sick of games doing this just because there are people with crap PCs... upgrade.
    So I take it you like Pay2Win games, then?