Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarxe View Post
    Hitman: Blood money is supposed to be the best in the series, right? Now go over to the steam's store page for it and take a look at the screenshots shown there. Do you recognize that as the game you've played? Did you tot around with an automatic grenade launcher in plain daylight in a suburban neighbourhood? Did you carry a gun in every single mission? No, right? But marketting has to sell the game and sex and guns is what sells.

So like others have already mentioned above, it's too early to ring the doom bell just because of typical marketting shit trailer. Play before you make a judgement.
    Did you read the PC Gamer review posted above? That certainly gives reason to worry.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    Tom Francis is well known as a bit of a Hitman lover. I have a feeling (admittedly partially based on early reviews!) it will review well on consoles and people with less experience with the series, but ultimately disappoint people who are more familiar.
    I only glanced at the closing remarks and the pie chart in the scans, but that sounds about right. Everything we feared from the marketing is mentioned there and worse (most hits are done through cutscenes!)

Blood Money is one of the greatest games ever made. This is just incredibly disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Norskov View Post
    Did you read the PC Gamer review posted above? That certainly gives reason to worry.
    Why? It's one review. I think it would be prudent to at least wait for WIT.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by His Master's Voice View Post
    Why? It's one review. I think it would be prudent to at least wait for WIT.
    It's hardly "just one review". Tom Francis is pretty well known and a decent games writer by pretty much anyone's standard.

He also has a great love for Blood Money, but more knows why the game was great. (And thus why this release is not).

If you're gonna look at one review for Absolution, you coould do a shit load worse than stick with that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Network Hub
    Wait and see. PCG are guilty themselves of over selling certain games in the past while under selling others. Proof is in the pudding.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Even RPS writers wrote bad stuff about new hitman,don't know why are you lying to yourself..
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    One of these days I'm going to stop being suckered into buying a sequel on the basis of its predecessor. Yup, one of these days I'll stop being a colossal idiot, just not today (or rather, the day I decided to preorder this).

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Even RPS writers wrote bad stuff about new hitman,don't know why are you lying to yourself..
    Look, if people are willing to buy their games based on press reviews, they should at least make sure to read more than one.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    One of these days I'm going to stop being suckered into buying a sequel on the basis of its predecessor. Yup, one of these days I'll stop being a colossal idiot, just not today (or rather, the day I decided to preorder this).
    I'm sitting with the exact same feeling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Isn't Tom Francis the guy that gave Max Payne a 55 and also complained about technical issues?

I don't trust him.

Just today I was wondering why I never played Blood Money and thought about pre-ordering. Lucky for me I had a moment of clear thought and figured that I'm better off buying Blood Money for 10 euros, because if Absolution sucks I'll have saved 40 euros. Ha! Blood Money is great btw, but you all knew that already.
    Read more here (On hold) or on Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Blood Money is very great, and I think Contracts is almost as good and well worth playing.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Devil's advocate:

Maybe they're just advertising it that way at the moment to grab a bunch of uninitiated, action-worshipping, unlock-chasing gamorz.
    There's clearly still some bits in there from previous hitman games. (costumes, leaving behind bombs, hiding people, pushing people down from balconies)
    I also think they are marketing it to the mouthbreather market (look at the michael bay edition ff7 remake trailer, holy shit...) and tacked on some batman and SC shit for if you start shooting.

You could mow people down in hitman games before (though you'd generally get owned).

Still , the result is all the same.
    They are aiming for a shift in target audience, using an old ip name to try n make a new modern franchise.
    It's going to go two ways from here if it's still hitman:

It doesn't sell a million copies: canned.
    It sells a million copies: now it's main stream, the next game will be mouthbreather mainstream hitman for the batman/assassin's creed/conviction/gears of war crowd.

My tip: research this game really well when it's out if you want it as a new hitman game. Then accept that it's almost certainly the last real hitman game you (might, if it isn't already turned to shit) ever get.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Isn't Tom Francis the guy that gave Max Payne a 55 and also complained about technical issues?

I don't trust him.
    Max Payne 3 sucked man (as a game, which is what it was supposed to be)

I don't trust him.
    I like Tom Francis and if he gave Max Payne 3 a 55 then I like him even more. Fuck me, but I loathed that game. Never ending cutscenes out the bum and that CRT telly filter being obnoxious. And the story...
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    And the awesome shooting and rock-solid PC version!
    And the meta commentary on the aged action hero! Which may be a byproduct of Euphoria, but knowing Houser, I believe it's not.

And the awesome shooting and rock-solid PC version!
    And the meta commentary on the aged action hero! Which may be a byproduct of Euphoria, but knowing Houser, I believe it's not.
    I don't really think there was much meta commentary in the game. They certainly tried, but I don't think they pulled it off. The shooting was alright, I suppose, but it grew stale on me pretty fast.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Obscure Node
    I couldn't be more crestfallen after reading the PCG review. I've played and enjoyed everything else in the hitman series- I've beaten every mission as silent assassin- and so I pre-ordered this based on that track record.

Yeah I was pessimistic from the PR hype, but I saw the IOI guys in person at PAX East last year and they claimed that there would still be plenty of open-endedness, and I took them at their word. This really feels like a slap in the face to people who like the series for the patient, thoughtful approach it used to foster.

What a let down.

So having never played a Hitman game, the consensus is Blood Money is a great game? Worth six quid?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Most definitely. And Contracts, too.