Network Hub

120mm Case Fan Recommendations/Advice

Hello RPS, several of the case fans that came with my case are beginning to be a little noisy in their "old age" (4 years) and while removing them and oiling their insides works for a short while it is a rather elaborate process for a short respite (A Feast for Crows on the top is currently working on the worst offender). I was wondering if anyone has any advice on replacements? I am looking to spend under 20 for 3 new fans and a good balance between noise and cooling.

While I am at it any recommendations for dust filter for the intake fan would also be well received.

Many thanks

Here's a case fan that I use (And has been fine so far)

Here's the fan filter that I use on most of my fans.

Honestly, as long as you don't want silly things like LEDs on the fans, then any 120mm fan will do. The wiggle room for fans that I've seen is based on quietness and LED colour.

Fan filters, any will do. Just remember to clean them!

Network Hub
    I wouldn't necessarily recommend sleeve bearing fans, they're cheap but they don't tend to last as long (and are generally noisier than ball bearing or FDB fans). There's literally a whole world of fans out there though, and it very much depends on what sort of noise/airflow ratio you're looking for. There's plenty of sites that review fans though, particularly for the 'quiet' market.

As for filters, any will do. Just remember that if your case is under negative pressure (eg the cfm of your exhaust fans add up to more than the cfm of your intakes) your case is going to suck in dust through every aperature anyway. So you might want to think about putting a high cfm fan in the front and some slower ones for the exhaust (or possibly run them at a lower voltage / use a fan controller to slow them down).

Network Hub
    i recommend anything by Yate Loon that is 120mm, and around 1850rpm. They arent flashy, but they are very cheap and they move a nice amount of air with a low noise level.

They are the holy grail of fans, especially if you are going to stick them on a water cooling radiator.