Thread: Avadon for iPad

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar

Avadon for iPad

Avadon for iPad is out! Go forth, owners of the Apple toy, and buy it. It's only $9.99, a fraction of the PC/Mac price, and it's almost certainly the biggest, bestest RPG on iOS by a wide, wide margin.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/avado...429761869?mt=8

Just played for a few minutes. Runs fine on the original iPad, interface is nice, fonts look good. It's Avadon, but on the iPad. Yay.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Avadon PC is available for $9.97 on D2D US with the code "AVADON" until June 21. The fractional iPad price is 1 and 2/997ths ATM.

But good for the Vogels for expanding their platforms!

Curious about how this will do. I know the libraries he used also supports Android (know the developer who made them) but I don't think he'll "dare" to release on that platform too!
    if you like manga, RPG and dating sims, check my indie computer games

I bought it in instant when I saw it was finally out. I only spent a couple of minutes with it so far, but it looks absolutely gorgeous and controls mightily fine. Both the RPG and the RTS/TBS genre lend themselves very well to the iPad and I'm curious if other developers might follow and make some more ports of PC games onto the touchscreen platforms. Battle for Wesnoth is one example of a great game made even better by the intuitive iPad controls.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by winterwolves View Post
    Curious about how this will do. I know the libraries he used also supports Android (know the developer who made them) but I don't think he'll "dare" to release on that platform too!
    There are certainly less users of touchscreen Android tablets than there are of the iPad

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    On a slight tangent, do any RPS'ers have any reccomendations for good iPad gaming funtimes? (Maybe I should start another thread...)

Quote Originally Posted by laneford View Post
    On a slight tangent, do any RPS'ers have any reccomendations for good iPad gaming funtimes? (Maybe I should start another thread...)
    I bought quite a few games on my iPad, but most of them are crap compared to every PC game. The ones I still keep and have enjoyed more than 30 minutes are:

• Avadon (duh, of course)
    • Battle for Wesnoth (it's pretty much the same as the PC version, but touchscreen controls were made for TBS games)
    • Battleheart (an action-oriented, party-based RPG; imagine something like a streamlined MMO-5-man-dungeon-raid)
    • Dungeon Raid (originally an iPhone game, it's similar to Puzzle Quest with a mechanical twist; if you liked PQ, this is even better)
    • Small Worlds (a great port of the board game with a neat 2 player mode on one iPad)
    • Dungeon Hunter 2 (from the copycats Gameloft, it's their take on the Diablo series and quite good for that)

Uh, that's everything from the top of my head. There are more, but I'm at work and don't have my iPad with me :)

I also picked up Avadon for iPad. I had tried the demo on PC and found it unimpressive. The biggest problem for me is that the art is pretty generic. I found that this didn't really matter on the iPad because this is the only game like this on the iPad (to my knowledge). I was able to forgive the generic art where I couldn't on the PC because there are so many similar games that are more visually striking competing in that space.

Now that I've gotten into it (probably played about 10 hours or so), I'm really glad I bought it. It's an excellent game. The player agency and the moral ambiguity of the choices remind me of The Witcher 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Schaulustiger View Post
    Small Worlds (a great port of the board game with a neat 2 player mode on one iPad)

This. I don't own an iPad, but my friend has one and has this and it's pure awesome. The implementation of a board game on a tablet is executed to perfection.