Thread: BBC Click

Obscure Node

BBC Click

This thread is mostly for the Brits (and anglophiles... You strange people):

Does anyone else get frustrated with Click's attitude towards gaming? In one of their recent programmes, they had an E3 special. An entire 15 minute episode dedicated to this fine faire of electronic entertainment. Yet the team only talk about the new hardware on offer, with nary a mention of any games.

Could anyone proffer an explanation for this? Time constraints you might say, but that would be bunk, for one presenter spends a full segment discussing the supposed merits of the use of an overblown, overpriced back-projected umbrella as a monitor replacement.

Dreamhack is this weekend. No doubt the BBC will ignore it.

I guess I just feel that Click only covers news and tech your mum or other middle-aged relative might be vaguely interested in if she/he was bored.

(Don't get me wrong, I love the BBC but I don't like their attitude towards gaming, especially since airing that Panorama programme.)
    Last edited by kael13; 18-06-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Clarity and extras.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Click is a technology programme and I think the games themselves would tend to fall more towards the culture/arts programming (although that wants little to do with it, too, except, obviously, Charlie Brooker): although there is some very interesting tech involved in bringing a game to life, it's behind-the-scenes stuff that isn't going to be of interest to the less geeky audience Click is shooting for (I don't think it's quite as bad as you say, but I don't think it's for the hardcore geeks).

That and, by all accounts, E3 was pretty underwhelming apart from the hardware this year.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Network Hub
    BBC... There'd have to be some angle pushing leftist ideology for them to get more interested.
    Maybe if there was a game pushing global warming ecowackery they'd cover it well.

Quote Originally Posted by BenWah View Post
    BBC... There'd have to be some angle pushing leftist ideology for them to get more interested.
    Maybe if there was a game pushing global warming ecowackery they'd cover it well.
    Dearie me.

Quote Originally Posted by BenWah View Post
    http://fateoftheworld.net/

(Though it is a really good, ball-achingly hard, fun game...)

I've heard a radio four program where they talked about that game. It's fun being a cynic, eh!

click is a 30 min show but I believe they also have a shorter version which is shown sometimes, you can watch the full version on the website and also some shorter clips from E3. I think they also did something on dirt a few weeks ago, if I remember right.

edit: they also do game reviews sometimes if you go to the site, they aren't very good reviews but they are there.
    Last edited by 8-bit; 19-06-2011 at 10:01 PM.