Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Lesser Hivemind Node

Cardboard Children meet-up thread

So, in the wake of the Cardboard Children articles here on RPS we keep getting people expressing an interest in these kinds of things, usually accompanied by bemoaning the lack of like-minded nerds in our respective local areas.

But it's a small world out there as some of us have found lately, particularly for those of us living in major cities. So here's a thread for those of us either already into these games, or those of us who are interested but have never been able to partake for one reason or another. Us RPS'ers are generally friendly enough sorts, so the possibility of being murdered by a fellow gamer is probably minimal (unless you spill a drink on their gaming table, but hey that's understandable).

So RPS board gamers, where are you?

I'll kick things off. I live in northeast London (Walthamstow) and am one of the 'interested but never really tried' category. I don't know a single person into this kind of thing and though I have spare cash, don't have the space for it. I'm currently off on summer break from uni until about October, loads of spare time until then, after that my timetable will probably still have gaps.

Those of us in London, or willing to travel into London, we now have an RPS community group. If you're interested join us: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru....php?groupid=5

Also, here's a link to London On Board, an existing London based (duh) group whos events quite a few of us now attend http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/
    Last edited by DarkFenix; 21-07-2011 at 07:02 PM.

Obscure Node
    I'd definitely be interestend in meeting up for this kind of thing. I usually play these sort of games with my brothers, but we rarely get all of us together these days.

I live in NW London (Hendon) and I have space and a few games (although no 6 foot table!).

I'm very busy at work for the next couple of months, but could do a night here or there and more regularly after August.

Games I have (most have been played only a couple of times!):
    A Game of Thrones (5 players)
    Battlestar Galactica (+Pegasus expansion) (5 players)
    Mansions of Madness (5 players)
    Space Hulk (2 players)
    Space Alert (5 players)
    Last edited by Psycho; 20-06-2011 at 09:06 AM.

Activated Node
    I'm in Nottingham, I own Pandemic and Dominion which are nice quick starter games and I like them a lot. I also have Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game which I would love to have the chance to play more often.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I'm in Berlin and I own more games than I'll ever play. If you set things up three or four weeks in advance, I'd even fly to London for a hardcore gaming weekend!
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

London based (remember that you can change your profile to say where you are) close to Canda Water tube which also has an overground stop for Croydon/Whitechapel/Highbury access.

I have what I consider to be too many games, but then I see other people's collections and I feel pitifully inadequate.
    I stopped buying about 5 years ago though, so Dominion, Space Alert etc are all new and shiny to me.
    I would love to get a game of Civ someday which is pretty stupid as that is the only pc game I have ever really played.
    Arkham, Mansions, Battlestar, Chrononauts, Chaos in the Old World, any of the FFG Living card games all make my interested list.

I think I can fit 6 people around a 6'x3' table, but would be happy(maybe even happier for the first time) to travel to someone else's place and not get murdered.
    Not Get Murdered is a great name for a boardgame group :D
    My place would be non-smoking as well (I have a balcony we can chuck you out on if you must) and up 4 flights of stairs if you have mobility problems.

DarkFenix sounds like the perfect person 'interested but never really tried' as I may have these games but I will have played each once basically. I am not pro and play for fun. Just like videogames I would never read a strategy guide or go for some sort of perfect play (not saying I don't suffer from analysis paralysis and not saying I'm not playing to win and not saying I wont accuse the dice of being biased etc etc). If that sounds like the sort of player you want then count me in, I am away next weekend but back on the 28th June and pretty much free for the rest of my life after that.

Games that I have that are possibly of interest to a group -and in sort of ascending difficulty if we are just starting out on this crazy, crazy road to gaming nirvana (I actually think Runebound might be a good starting point -simple fantasy tropes that we all understand such as level and kill the big bad):
    Space Crusade + Space Hulk
    A Lord of the Rings co-op game where we all help each other...
    WoW the adventure game (Got WOW TBG as well, but more than happy to play that solo :P)
    Runebound + expansions: Sands and Midnight (Midnight might even be a poor man's Descent as someone takes the role of the bad guys, but seriously, the game is still unpunched after 3 years so I'm as much in the dark as you. In the Dark. It's called Midnight you see and ...)
    Race for the Galaxy
    Quest for the Dragonlords
    Warrior Knights
    War of the Ring
    Twilight Imperium
    Starcraft (do you know how pissed I am at not buying the expansion for £8!!!11!!1! Sure I've never even played the base set, but you know -bargain?)

2 player:
    Battlelore,
    Memoir 44
    Bunch of other 2-player games

Eurogames (went off euros -seem to like shiny nowadays):
    Goa, Thebes, Zooloretto, Hansa.

Bunch of unpunched Hex wargames :P

Try non-rpser boardgaming: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...=7842#post7842

Oh, and my name is Jacob
    Last edited by Temple; 19-06-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: show a link to board game clubs
    Try London on Board for free and easy boardgaming

Obscure Node
    Hiya,

A friend and myself are sometimes boardgame fans based in Shropshire (Telford and Shrewsbury). We're quite new to the hobby though so we don't have any of the classics (though I'd love to try them), it's mostly relatively new stuff:

Castle Ravenloft
    Tannhauser
    Mid-Evil
    War on Terror
    Dr Necreaux
    Munchkin
    Thunderstone
    Plus some random bits from when we've dabbled with with Necromunda and D&D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Live in Kent and only a 45 min away from London till October and then I go back to Swansea. Hmm never played any game but am interested in Chaos of The Old World, Battlestar Galactica, Cosmic Encounters and maybe Space Alert. I'll probably only be able to come maybe once a week at most and probably barely every 2 weeks since i'm a bit strapped for cash. Also (since its nerdy as well) we could play some RPGs which i would love to D&D and WOD interest me there.

I also to Don't want to get murdered and in the game.

Activated Node
    Is there any chance someone has a second copy of Memoir 44 in London? Seeing the Overlord campaign would be a decent reason to venture down into that heathen city.

Greets gents!

I live in Reykjavík, Iceland, 26 years old and am looking for people insane enough to play meaty games like Descent and the like on a regular basis.

Currently I own Space Hulk, Arkham Horror, Chaos in the Old World that are roaring to be played more often (especially Chaos... the gods are calling out to me...) XD

I regulartly attend to an open gaming club here in Reykjavík, but it's kind of hard to organize those meatier, less flexible games there (frequent rotation of peeps there). I am eager to hear if there are more of my geeky kind living here in Reykjavík that are reading this site (and the Cardboard Children article) yearning to play more of these games!
    Last edited by Yor Fizzlebeef; 19-06-2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: added age info!

Activated Node
    London. I promise not to murder anyone except in the game.

Activated Node
    I live about 45 minutes train journey from london, but would definetely up for it to play some good boardgames with people if I can at the time. I've only got mansions of madness so far but I'd be up for pretty much anything.
    Bam. Tit job.

Obscure Node
    South Wales border, Chepstow-ish here - but will travel.

I found a group in Cardiff who meet in the Chapter Arts Centre on Sundays, and they seem a decent enough bunch - but it's a very "mainstream" group. I asked about (having given in to the lure of bright shininess and bought) both Mansions of Madness and Wrath of Ashardalon, and got knocked back completely - have never seen a single game featured on Cardboard Children being played there.

"Not Get Murdered" is, I think, an inspired choice.

Currently have:
    Pandemic
    Wrath of Ashardalon
    Forbidden Island
    Dominion
    Ticket to Ride
    Mansions of Madness
    Munchkin (several of)
    Rising Kings
    Fluxx (several of)
    Game of Thrones LCG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    I will be residing in bonnie Edinburgh from August and would love to get my game on with some lovely RPS'ers if possible; I am dying to try Chaos in the Old World and Mansions of Madness

I am also in the never tried but very interested category! If something can be arranged id love to come :)

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by karandraz View Post
    I am also in the never tried but very interested category! If something can be arranged id love to come :)
    Would you mind letting us know where you are or where you can travel to so we could organise something?

Activated Node
    I should also speak up. I'm London-based (currently West London, but I may be moving soon), and was at the RPS/IGDA board games session, if any of you were there. I don't have much in the way of games: basically Arkham Horror, Chrononauts and some Munchkin.

Obscure Node
    So, anyone else living in Amsterdam (Netherlands)?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Indeed, the idea is to post a location with a view to actually meeting, silly scrub :P

At any rate, we have 5 people within London plus another 2 just outside (one Kent, one unspecified). It was pretty certain we'd find the most workable concentrations of people in and around London. Should be quite possible to get something going easily enough.

Activated Node
    Aye, I could head to London as well but not regularly and likely not for a while. I don't mind sitting out the first event though as I've got a fairly decent gaming group up here. I should say that if you like Catan, Memoir '44 or Ticket To Ride (all excellent games) then it is possibly to play those online at the official websites. That might help those who can't make meetups.

Brighton.

Got a reasonable stack of games.
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh