Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I have a flag! [read: piece of A4 with not get murdered on it]
    Also, a t-shirt with my avatar on it.
    Try London on Board for free and easy boardgaming

Lesser Hivemind Node
    /Yawn. Waking up this early doesn't agree with me. Still, I've no idea how long it'll take me to get there courtesy of the numerous detours, so I'll probably be deliberately and fashionably late, but still around 11am or so. It'll be impossible to miss me, I'll be the enormous slightly chinese looking guy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    It feels a bit werid geting up early to play boardgames XD

I'll take it back about being an early riser... should be an easy 11ish for me. Thinking I might bring something to use as a tablecloth.

Also, @Dark *I* wanted to come as an enormous slightly chinese looking guy, gonna have to come as an out-of-shape white guy with beard as always.

Oh dear, wish I had found this thread a bit earlier. As it was, found it at 1am last-night; which would make it a bit late to do anything other than rudely gatecrash. (Not to mention I was half asleep, and could only skim the thread.)

But finally to the point, I'm definitely interested. Moved to London just under a month ago, and had been hoping to find something like this; this being the boardgames, not the not getting murdered thing, although that's good too.

Live near Leytonstone, so not far from DarkFenix, although I battle the central line more often than the Victoria. I'm pretty new to boardgames, having only ever really played the mainstream stuff*. As a result, I can't offer to bring anything yet, but I don't intend to leech forever. Also as I'm in a house share, don't really have the space to offer up a venue yet, but I have vague plans to move in six months to somewhere where I have a bit more space of my own (or at least share with people where I won't feel rude if I commandeer the dining room).

But assuming that the LoB session today goes well enough, and the RPS crew don't end up banned and/or murdered by the regulars I'm happy to pop along to the next session. Alternatively also up for an RPS specific event. I'll join up with the 'Not Get Murdered' group, and keep an eye on this thread.

* And I'm talking the boardgame equivalents of Wii tennis, not Halo.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Well I just got home not long ago from the LoB meetup today, and I can tell you that we quite successfully didn't get murdered. I believe about half a dozen or so of us showed up (me, Temple, Xercies, Daave, Psycho, possibly others I've forgotten) and fun was had.

I think I managed to get through about 4 or 5 different game throughout the day (regrettably I didn't get a chance to try Space Alert). I think the war games and similarly directly competitive ones are more my speed, and cooperative games too. The more indirectly competitive ones are ok, but not quite my taste. The LoB regulars are a friendly lot, very much open to newcomers (and clearly used to patiently explaining convoluted rules to total rookies) and bring a plethora of different board games to have a go at.

I'll certainly go along to another of these sometime, perhaps the one on Sunday 17th July in the same venue.

I had a great day playing The Game of thrones boardgame twice lol. Was a bit disappointed that i didn't get to play a few of the games like Space Alert that the other table with the RPSers were playing and i didn't get to play with you all, but maybe next time. But i can say after two games i absolutely love that board game, and the people i was playing with were really friendly so even if none of the RPSers were there i probably would have still went to be honest. Definitly recommend it, and definitely trying to see when else i can go to this.

Obscure Node
    I'd say the experiment was a success, although next time I might need to turn up at the start so I can jump into a game earlier. Everyone there seemed really nice, and there were more games floating around than I could shake a stick at, so definite potential. But it also lends itself more to shorter games, and I slightly underestimated how long it takes to play Civ for the first time, sorry guys. Next time I'm keen to get a game of Space Alert in if there's one going.

Activated Node
    Yeah, that seemed to work pretty well, even if Civ did take a while longer than the two hours we were promised... Didn't manage to actually meet that many of the RPS people though: playes stuff with Daave and Aravar, and briefly met Temple and Darkfenix. Next time it might be an idea to co-ordinate arrival times, and possibly get there earlier so we can steal more tables...

Yeah I needed to get there earlier, I got absolutly lost trying to get there even with a map and found out later on that I walked about a mile off the track. I am so terrible at directions XD

Good day all around (except for the re-writing of History and England managing not once, but twice to lose at Agincourt),
    Got there before opening time and saw a huddle of handsome young men outside a pub. I met Paul and Jeff who are the organisers through London on Board http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/.
    You know you are with nerds when I'm one of the more socially adept people there :)

Got to show off Battlelore to Daave and Fenix and then they were co-opted by a LoB member into a game of.. .Troyes I think? Psycho had turned up by now and I grabbed the opportunity to get a game of Battlelore in with him.

Psycho (who I shall continue to call Santa for his wonderful big bag of games) then introduced me and 3 non-rpsers to Spce Alert.
    Space Alert became an instant fave and I can imagine playing it at every meeting as it produces gaming stories. Helped by Psycho and his statements. Such as this gem at the end of his first run through with us 'did anyone recharge the shields?' -a mention of the shields may have helped prior to that point Psy, just saying...
    Which led to him saying something which could easily become Not Get Murdered's motto: 'I did not know you could lose the tutorial'

A second game now we understood shields produced much futility as everyone overcharged the shields and Psycho and another slapped away at the fire button for turn after turn with no power :)

Apologies to Xercies who I know wanted a game of Chaos in the Old World (though he got TWO GoT in -now that is dedication), but Fenix, Psycho and I were shown it by a LoB-ber who was a little too willing to win, good attempt by Fenix and Psyc to stop him -which let me quietly get close to winning. Have to say I'm not that struck on it, which saves me 50.

Time for a quick hello to Baron and aaravar, before heading off to watch the Tour de France highlights.

If you want to come along you can almost be assured of not getting murdered.
    Join up at LoB out of politeness as we crash their events (and do mix with them as well)
    Join the RPS group if you want http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru....php?groupid=5
    Last edited by Temple; 04-07-2011 at 03:07 PM.

When is the next Sunday thing? If there one in two weeks (17th) then I'll definitely come along and try to get some Horus Heresy in. I'd definitely play Battle Lore again, perhaps with a more interesting scenario. I'm glad I played the Civ board game, although I'd only play it again with people who knew the rules, as it dragged on towards the end.

I would have liked to play more games, but it was a great venue and nice people.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Battlelore was good fun, I actually enjoyed the simplicity and directness of it a lot more than any of the other games throughout the day. A shame it's only a small two player thing.

I did indeed inadvertantly stop Temple from sneakily winning in the penultimate turn of Chaos in the Old World, but hey, that's Chaos, even when they're nominally helping one another they trip each other up. The LoB'er who showed us Chaos in the Old World did seem in a bit of a hurry to win, regardless of playing three newbies. But that's a flaw of that game in my opinion, it's a rather hurried game with a strict turn limit and all your actions are about racing for the victory line with little tactical depth.

I got roped into two Troyes games during the day, second time more through a lack of any better idea near end day's end. I don't think I'll be terribly inclined towards it again. It's ok but the game seems to have some balance issues and some ways for a player to set up a sure victory early on with little chance of stopping them, not even through skill but by blind luck. Also, the guy who showed us Chaos in the Old World was one of the players and showed that slightly overcompetitive streak again, which didn't help my opinion towards it.

I'll try to show up a bit earlier for the next one, mixing with the guys outside before opening time sounds like a good way to get a chat to some of the others. People spend most of their time in the middle of a game so it's a bit hard to switch who you're playing with or meet any of the other folks. It would also be a good way to identify and congregate with fellow RPS'ers in order to get some games with them, I would very much like to try Space Alert and such.

Yee-hah a Battlelore convert. Exactly why I like it: simplicity and directness, haven't played with the extra rules enough to make a decision on them, but I worry that it will muddy the waters.
    You can add a ridiculous amount of magic, heroes, dragons to mix it up. I already have the second board to make it EPIC (supposed to be multiplayer that way as well).

I've posted meetup for Sunday 17th July
    I may go to LoB tomorrow night or Wednesday, and, indeed, the following weeks as well I'm not completely sure (all dependent on how my watching of the Tour de France goes)

[why the heck haven't I posted this yet?]

I've just joined the group, for some reason i couldn't see the button to join before. There's something a bit funny about the message "Are you sure you want to join the group Not Get Murdered". I probably might come again that Sunday, I mean i don't really have anything else to do this summer so a day out like the last time would be cool again. Unfortunatly the money situation is lookign a bit meagre and I have to go to save some money for a give in work/holiday for a number of weeks at the end of august.

Hey guys am still really interested in attending one of these, hopefully ill be able to come join you one weekend :)

Obscure Node
    Had a great time too! It was great to meet everyone.

Probably enjoyed battlelore the most out of the new games I played. And Space Alert is always good for a short burst of fun.

Would love to try out BattleStar Galactica with everyone (still my favourite I think). Temple - think Space Alert without the comedy errors, but with half the team people secretly working to sabotage the mission.

Not sure if I'll be able to make another weekend this month (definitely won't be able to make evenings).

Definitely be up for more soon, though!!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Who was it that brought the BSG board game along? Perhaps we should try getting a game of that going among as many RPS'ers as we can gather next time it's available. Also, Space Alert.

Well something ate my long post -or I posted it somewhere else.
    Psycho/Santa is the BSG and Space Alert owner, unfortunately he has a life beyond boardgames (the fool) and reckons he can't make any more in July (which I now see is the post above yours... too many threads)

Looks like I'm heading to tommorrow's night LoB. Meeting up with some people Psycho and I played/lost/enjoyed Space Alert with on the Sunday we all went. If they'll have me. Maybe I should explain our abject failure was all down to Psy. And that I wont murder them.

EDIT: Yay! They have not rejected me, so playing Through the Ages with near strangers tomorrow.
    EDIT 2: Just to make Xercies look silly , Sunday 17th meetup -the day after the (RPS social) night before though so not sure how many RPSers will make it
    Last edited by Temple; 11-07-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Because I hate everything I have ever written

Is people coming to the Sunday one? Thats the one I probably will be able to go to definitely, after that there probably will be no more meetings for me since I don't have the money for it