Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'll be back in the UK in September, just south of London and i'd like to try a few board games.

Obscure Node
    I'm keen on playing board games and based pretty near to London, in Hitchin, so eminently able to travel to London. Obviously weekends are preferable as getting in and out of London on a workday evening is tricky.

As for games I have Sid Meier's Civilization, Cosmic Encounter, and the old version of Civilization, plus Chrononauts and Space hulk Death Angel for card games. I'm interested in trying out a whole load of stuff, and pretty much everything that comes up in (not) cardboard children sounds good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    "I found a group in Cardiff who meet in the Chapter Arts Centre on Sunday"
    That's useful to know when I'm back down at Swansea for Uni, I've been trying to find one around me but can't really find it. Forgot really about Cardiff...

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    That's useful to know when I'm back down at Swansea for Uni, I've been trying to find one around me but can't really find it. Forgot really about Cardiff...
    There is also a board game shop in Castle Arcade that is pretty well stocked.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Linky for the Sunday Cardiff group - usually around between 3pm and 10:30pm - they can also be found on the Book of Face too.

Quote Originally Posted by GraveyardJimmy View Post
    There is also a board game shop in Castle Arcade that is pretty well stocked.
    Yes, Rules of Play (not affiliated with them in any way, just a happy customer) are highly recommended as a FLGS. Genuinely nice people, very accommodating and more than happy to both host games downstairs in their <s>dungeon</s>, <s>crypt</s>, ....basement and order items in that you might fancy.

Haha sorry with all the excitement of a chance to get some board-game action i totally neglected that vital piece of information! I am from middlesbrough which is a fair distance from most of you guys, but iam willing to travel with abit of notice :)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Sounds like a good idea for us to organise something on a weekend sometime in the next few weeks or months.

Personally I'm quite sold on the idea of these epic campaign type games too, perhaps some of us local guys can sort something out if everything goes nicely.

I'm just north of Southampton, with a fairly decently sized table though I've only got Mansions of Madness, BSG (And both expansions) and some more mainstream type games. Happy to host, and I promise I don't murder people. Also would be up for an RPS session London-way since it's under an hour on the train for me.

Obscure Node
    I'm near Eastbourne, so fairly close by train to London. I've got Mansions of Madness and Arkham Horror, with one of the expansions. Would like to try out some of the ones mentioned in Cardboard Children, especially Space Alert. It sounds rather good fun.

I'm interested too. North London, but I live in a rabbit hutch (hmm, are the two things perchance connected?) so can't host, also I don't own any boardgames. So if the Londoners require a 'sundry', count me in...

I like the sound of that fantasy campaign game Quins talked about, I must say.

I am currently living in Croydon and would love to get involved with a regular board gaming crowd. I am encumbered with a copy of Horus Heresy bought for me as an ill-advised birthday present and I've got no-one to play with :(

I've played Civ, Mansions of Madness, Settlers of Catan, Chrononauts and a few other random things. I'd like to play Dominion, Carcassone (sp), Arkham Horror, everthing else, and maybe once we've got an established group going Descent.

Siri has in the past organised a prototype games event under the banner of the RPS social club jointly with the IGDA, but as she has gone back to Norway for a while I think this is on hiatus. Ideally someone should book a friendly pub or possibly a room in a uni in central London on a weekend and then persuade the hivemind to front page it. But if you want a smaller, "hardcore" group then stick to the forums.

Make it happen people! I'm prepared to do some organising, but I am generally quite busy.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Daave View Post
    I am encumbered with a copy of Horus Heresy bought for me as an ill-advised birthday present and I've got no-one to play with :(
    I'd gladly take that off your hands ;)

On a related note, in case any of you haven't seen it yet here is Rab's video review of Horus Heresy. One of the finest pieces of game criticism I think I've ever seen.
    Last edited by EndelNurk; 21-06-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Activated Node
    I'm in Derby, got copies of MoM and AH... Also got a copy of 3rd Ed Space Hulk! I'm friends with a few gamers here, sure we could happily accommodate more.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    So, we clearly have a fair few people in this thread who actually have experience of this kind of gaming meet-up. Given my total lack of relevant knowledge, I'd like to ask one of the guys in the know to step up and help get the ball rolling on something, however small.

Activated Node
    Hello Unitled, do you ever come along to Nottingham? I'd give quite a lot for a chance to play Space Hulk.

Activated Node
    Well, it certainly sounds like there's enough people who might be interested. The tricky bit, it seems is finding a suitable venue that everyone can use: ideally a large, well-lit room with lots of tables (and possibly a bar), that is free, or at least quite cheap, to hire, and reasonably close to central London to allow everyone to get there in good time. After that it's simply a matter of picking a date, either a weekday evening or a weekend (which would allow us to get more games in).

So, any suggestions for a venue? One suggestion from the last meet was booking a room in one of the universities, so I don't know if one of the students here wants to look into that. Otherwise, finding a co-operative pub seems to be the best bet.

Represent! Chalk one up for the RPS in house posse raise the roof woot woot!
    Errr, as I said on my other thread I went to/infiltrated the London On Board gaming group
    http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...ith-non-rpsers

Lucky enough to arrange a game of Nerath on the website beforehand AND have it close enough to work to get there about 5.30pm.
    I'm the handsome guy with no hair http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/...7201/#34027201
    A fourth guy turned up and we played for about 3 hours, it is a new game so we were all learning together (hence my photocopy of the rules clutched in my hand). I won. Represent woot woot etc.

This is the weeknight venue and has about 10 tables downstiars -all of which were in use during the night. The pub is posh, but enter the door take a left and head downstairs -you wont mistake the gamers :D
    Paul Lister runs the group, supplies many games (and has a shop www.boardgameguru.co.uk which I intend to use as a thank you).
    There is a night on tonight if you are free, I'm not unfortunately as I have 10 hour days at work at the moment.

There are also Sunday events that run 11am until 8pm at another location 3 times a month. Someone asked on the message board if he could start a friendly tournament and the organiser Jeff Clark said he was fine with that, so I imagine it would be okay for us to do similar, ie go along with our own games.

I'm busy until next Tuesday with three different things going on in my life (normally zero), but I plan to go to the Sunday event on 3rd July to check it out. If anyone wants to come along (and bring shiny games) that would be great.

I know some of you are already members there, so I don't know if it is best for other people to just join London On Board (free and easy through Facebook or membership on the website) or if we arrange something on here and you come as guests. Or more likely a bit of both.

I think we can tag along with LoB for a while and see how it goes. So who wants to bring what and when :)
    Last edited by Temple; 22-06-2011 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Too many parentheses
    Try London on Board for free and easy boardgaming

Some damn good prices on that boardgameguru site you linked.

I'm fairly into boardgames too, and have a collection outgrowing my storage space. I'm also one of the lucky ones. Not only is my wife into some of the games (she won't touch Space Hulk though), but I have a few local friends who are too. So I can luckily get my fix at least once every two weeks.

Travelling to London for a meet-up seems unlikely, however if there is anything more local to where I am (Birmingham), then I will try to join you.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Sunday 3rd July huh? I may well have to look into attending that.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Daave View Post
    Ideally someone should book a friendly pub or possibly a room in a uni in central London on a weekend
    I'm not sure about other universities but mine (KCL) will charge prohibitively huge amounts of money to rent a room for non-student-society activities - exactly how much I don't know, I've only heard this from other people. I imagine the other central universities (UCL, LSE) will do the same.

Edit: Also interested in the event, though depends on when/how much free time I have.