Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    I'm in Bath but hopefully going to Southampton Uni this autumn. Tentatively interested in boardgames, also up for not getting murdered.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulPride View Post
    I'm not sure about other universities but mine (KCL) will charge prohibitively huge amounts of money to rent a room for non-student-society activities - exactly how much I don't know, I've only heard this from other people. I imagine the other central universities (UCL, LSE) will do the same.
    Could you enquire about this? Possibly ask one of the societies (board game or sci fi or something) whether we could do something jointly. If you ask them directly whether they have any spare rooms going then they'll probably give you them for free, you are a member of the uni after all. Speculation and everyone agreeing that something is a good idea doesn't equal getting shit done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P2jJdrz9bY

Quote Originally Posted by Temple View Post
    I'm the handsome guy with no hair
    I don't see any handsome guy with no hair. (sorry!)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Hence I'm trying to prod one of the guys who knows what to do, to do it. I would if I could, but trying to make other people get people known to one another and get their arses in gear is about the limit of possibility for me.

That said, the group Temple mentioned could be a good way for some of us London-based types to start getting to know one another in a setting where murder is less likely. Because not getting murdered is good. That said, Sunday 3rd July is off the cards for me, sodding weekend Underground works.

Activated Node
    July 3rd is possible for me. I have no games to bring, but if it all goes well I can stretch to buying some.

Network Hub
    I'd be interested in meetings around greater manchester.

I currently already do board gaming of a sunday night in manchester, in a shop called fanboy3, theres also a saturday group I believe but i'm not sure about the details for that.

Additionally of interest for everyone is stabcon which is a week sunday:-

1st-3rd July: Summer Stabcon 2011, at The Britannia Hotel, Stockport. The latest occurence of this downright venerable twice-yearly British gaming institution. It'll doubtless be the usual play-what-anyone-brings board/roleplaying/card game event, with accommodation available in the hotel. E-mail bookings@stabcon.org.uk for booking information.

Should be good for people to encounter new games before decideing if they want to buy them, I believe it's not unknown for some publishers to turn up showcaseing their new releases.

Ok, I'm going to the Sunday outing that LoB run on the 3rd July in central London.
    So, if anyone wants to bring a game they want to play and wants to be there for a particular time let us know so we can come and not murder you. The place is open 11am to 8pm and so seems to be set up for longer games if you want to go that route. I'm an early riser myself so can make it as early as you want -we can read some rules/play 2 player fillers while waiting for other any sleepy heads to join us.
    http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/events/16940609/

It is a different venue to the weekly one I visited on Tuesday (which was heaving) and people seem to think the Sunday one is also busy, with tiny tables too so best not to bring Arkham Horror (table size does not look too bad on their website, though it might be a case of how many larger ones are there)
    http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/...609&popup=true

So our group will probably not be able to crash it in our entire awesomeness on a regular basis.
    Our entire awesomeness as far as I can work out http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru....php?groupid=5
    I put the list of names of people expressing interest. Tell me if you want me to remove/add names etc feel free to join or not etc and another etc for everything else I forgot to say.

Looking for another site then, I'm sure Siri mentioned South Bank Uni, but their rates that I can find are a little higher than what I hoped to pay *cough* Also, have you seen her moth?!?! http://twitpic.com/5eh8fp
    Alright we try LoB and then it might have to get personal once we are convinced we will Not Get Murdered.

Our Entire Awesomeness would be a great name for a gaming group.
    Last edited by Temple; 23-06-2011 at 01:02 AM.
    Try London on Board for free and easy boardgaming

Did I play 10 days in Asia with you at the IGDA thing Temple? We were on the same team and lost!

Activated Node
    Well, it sounds like the 3rd July is probably a good preliminary meet-up. I'll come along if I can, but I have a fair amount of other stuff happening that weekend.

I went to LoB last night and can endorse it. Friendly and welcoming; I ended up playing Mansions of Madness and two card games. The pub is about 10 mins walk from Moorgate/Bank stations, closer to St. Pauls. It's alright for a non-historic City pub.

Not sure if I can make the 3rd yet.

I want to go a couple more times to make sure, but my initial thinking is that LoB does fit the bill for Londoners. They already have an established space (two of them in fact, though I don't know what the Sunday one's like) and last night there was easily room for another 20 people or more. The guy who organises it was really helpful and friendly to the noob, as were the folk I played with. There was a huge variety of games available; people bring them along on spec. My main doubt would be whether it's a suitable place for a 'campaign'-type game like that one Quins wrote about - I don't think the overall 'ethos' would embrace the same group playing together week after week as it could be perceived as a bit cliquey.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Sunday looks good for me, unless of course something else comes up I'll probably be able to get there and have a few games in. I'll probably get there quite early as well.

@ Daave, I never lose so I'll think you find I watched as you lost for us :)

@moth -ooh you lucky so-and-so you got to play a cardboard children advertised game.

I think LoB will be great for us, and when we get to know each other better and are convinced we will not get murdered we look into a campaign at somebody's place where we wont be spilling drinks on the games.
    Especially as Moth reckons there was space. I think it goes Tue and Wed on a regular week, next week is a birthday week.

Though, does anyone actually have Descent? It never really appealed until Quinns write-up (curse him) and the campaign aspect. I'll happily chip in/buy an expansion for it once we get going.
    Last edited by Temple; 23-06-2011 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Because writing in English helps

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Bloody hell, St James's Park station is really easy for me to get to, on the condition that the bloody Victoria line is running. Without the Victoria line it's... hmm, still possible. Back to the route planner, one benefit of living on quite a decent transport hub is there's always another route.

I was thinking quite similarly about Descent, I have spare cash but no space or anything, so if something gets going I'll quite happily chip in towards that kind of thing. It's almost like L4D meets D&D (L4D&D?). Hopefully we'll find someone who already has it, but that's seeming quite unlikely - I'm seeing clear trends as to which board game are more mainstream and which aren't. Descent seems not to be (though it seems too prohibitively time consuming and expensive to be mainstream in fairness).

Also, joined the forum group. Other guys in London or who can travel to London, you should join up too.
    Last edited by DarkFenix; 23-06-2011 at 12:25 PM.

Paul Lister has asked, not unreasonably, that attendees to LoB events join up.
    There's no cost, and as Moth says they do seem very friendly.
    We can murder them all later.

We can still arrange things within here/within LoB, but this lets you really get your game on as you wish: they do two nights and one Sunday most of the time. For those interested the one Sunday a month they don't run the same pub has another club on doing more RPG style things -I think I advertised it somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Temple View Post
    Paul Lister has asked, not unreasonably, that attendees to LoB events join up.
    There's no cost, and as Moth says they do seem very friendly.
    We can murder them all later.
    This. This is why I love RPS.

:)
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Hahahaha fuck you London Underground. Secondary route off the cards, half the sodding Circle line isn't running on weekends either. Plan C sees me take at least 3 trains, as much as 5. The only remaining certainty is that a route to get there exists.

Either way, signed up on the LoB group and put myself down for 3rd July. Pain in the arse travel is just part of life in London.
    Last edited by DarkFenix; 24-06-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Activated Node
    Well, it looks like I'll be able to come along on the 3rd: I'll probably turn up around 2ish. What time are other RPSers planning to turn up, and what games are people planning to bring? I'm not going to be coming from home, so won't be able to bring any games, unfortunately.

Obscure Node
    Don't think I'll be able to make the whole day as Sunday is my only day off at the moment, and I need to spend some time with the family :).

Will try to come along in the afternoon. Since I'm coming by tube - I'll probably only be able to bring 1 or 2 games. Any requests for what people are interested in playing?

Games I have (most have been played only a couple of times!):
    A Game of Thrones (5 players)
    Battlestar Galactica (+Pegasus expansion) (5 players)
    Mansions of Madness (5 players)
    Space Hulk (2 players)
    Space Alert (5 players)

Activated Node
    I'd be up for Mansions of Madness or Battlestar Galactica, both of which I've played and enjoyed. I haven't played A Game of Thrones, so don't really have an opinion on it, and not hugely keen on Space Hulk. Space alert is great, but presumably we don't have a handy DVD player.

Obscure Node
    Space Alert works fine off an iPhone (as long as it's not too noisy).

Probably won't bring Space Hulk since it's a big game and is only suitable for 2 players.
    Last edited by Psycho; 25-06-2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Battlestar Galactica definitly will be up for that. Sapce Alert is good for maybe a quickie at the start I would think.