Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Activated Node
    I may be able to make it to the 3rd of July thing. I'll have to get back on that as I may be diving. On the games front I won't be able to bring any, but mansion of madness and space alert are favourites of mine. I may see about bringing a fellow RPS'er who isn't active on the forums but is interested in this. Only problem is he has church on that day, I'll see what I can do.
    Bam. Tit job.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Are we going to have a flag saying "Not Get Murdered" to tell who is RPSers? :p

Activated Node
    Alrighty, I'm coming from Ipswich which will take me about an hour, a time for RPS'ers meeting would be useful as then I can book tickets and stuff for then. So who's coming?
    Bam. Tit job.

Obscure Node
    Sunday 3rd, sounds like it should be possible for me too, so I'll try to make it along. Probably looking at getting there about 1ish. I'm definitely interested in playing Mansions of madness, Space Alert and Battlestar Galactica if anyone has those and fancies bringing them along.

I have Cosmic Encounters (3-5 players, lasts about 45mins a game) and Civilization the board game (2-4 players, lasts about 2 hours when you know what you're doing, about 3.5 hours when it's your first time playing) if anyone is interested in me bringing along either of them, although I can probably only pack one in the bag. Both, however, are good fun, and a brilliant way of making your friends dislike you.
    Last edited by aravar; 26-06-2011 at 08:03 PM.

just posted a 'i know no board gamers' comment then thought id look in the forum

not sure id go to London for anything short of a weekend social but will consider things in the North. Only game i could bring to any event is Diplomacy (with 7 players can take most of a day), which is hardly nich compared with many others mentioned here and in the threads. Would love to play Space Hulk, but will play pretty much anything. There are a couple of sort of board game friendly pubs in Leeds, but you the run the risk of trippling your playing time as you have explain what your doing to observers. The Uni (of which i am apart) does have decent facilities but wont allow those not representing a club or soc to book neither of which im heavily involved with. I have checked out the sci fi and fantasy soc, but they are only really interested in LARPing and do little else (the occasional film).

I'll be there. Should be 1 train and a short walk, the tube closures are bullshit though. I have no games to bring unfortunately, but I'm considering buying some once I've got some regular playmates sorted out (maybe Descent).

If this goes well i will definitely be getting a copy of chaos of the old world, i've been wanting that one for a long while.

*note to self, no longer need to buy Chaos of the Old World*
    (until I sees Xercies copy and wantses it for myselfs)

Ok, quite a few of us are going on Sunday. If you are and don't mind joining another website thing then please join the 'London on Board' group http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/ and register your attendance on the 'First Sunday of the Month' meeting just to be nice to them -we need to lull them into a false sense of security for our future plans to murder them all to be a success.

@aravar - I would love to play Civ, but would be happy to play a more sober cosmic encounters (other people not me)
    (my vote is Civ, but you might want to see the venue before bringing such a big beast)
    @xercies - I was thinking of a flag of some sort of 'not get murdered' in process, my design skills are right there with the rest of my skills though so, um, you know. Anyone else knock a pic together I'll print it off and hoist it. Otherwise I'll go with something in Word and use 'fancy' style.

Psycho seems to be the Santa Claus of the group -that reads either very wrong or very appropiate- with a lovely collection of Cardboard Children. Consensus seems to be Space Alert and maybe Mansions or Galactica. I have played none and would dabble with any.

I will be there as early as any one wishes to meet
    (I am not as desperate as that sounds...)
    Feel free to reply/pm/tell me to get on some better website that is easier to communicate with to arrange a meet up
    (I am not as desperate as that sounds...)
    I have none of the Cardboard Children - but would maybe, possibly bring my priceless copy of Battelore if anyone wanted to learn the basic rules and get a game or two in before other people turn up, as I have not played it in over two years
    (I am way, way more desperate than that sounds).
    Also, happy to learn/play anything you provide.
    (I'm only as desperate as you)

I am sure I had my list of owned games on the forum/in my pocket somewhere but I appear to have mislaid it.
    Also, I am a dick about people drinking/eating near my games, but I am very small so it should not be a problem.

Remember you don't have to just play with RPSers and if no one is turning up I reckon I might still get there for 11am(ish) and see what is going on.

I remember what I thought of. Quinns reviewed the LOTR LCG, and it seems immediately sold out everywhere :) I have a co-op LOTR game from quite a few years ago now if anyone is interested (older gamers probably played it already).
    Same idea you sacrifice yourself to get the ringbearer through to Mount Doom.
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8...d-of-the-rings
    Try London on Board for free and easy boardgaming

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'll probably try and get there for 11 or so, the way I see it I need as much time as possible to sample the various games on offer there. Doubly so since I'll need to spend ages being taught the rules of any given game :P

So I collected what people said in the posts above
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...d=4&do=discuss

Timetable -pay attention now.
    I'll be there at 11, I'll play what you have or you will be forced to play basic battlelore/co-op LOTR game with me (let me know if you are interested and I'll read the rules on Saturday).
    I AM IN NO WAY AN EXPERIENCED GAMER
    Aravar turning up about 1pm and bringing Civ or Cosmic.
    Psycho/Santa Claus turning up 'in the afternoon' and hopefully bringing Space Alert (with ipod :P) and/or Mansions/Galactica if he would/could.

If you do turn up and we are all in a game, please do look around at other people from LoB as they seem very nice themselves -there is no guarantee you will not get murdered with them though. Sorry.

I vote Mansions, but I've only played it once. I'll try to turn up in the am but that depends whether I get embroiled in my current game of civ on the morning. I've also played Cosmic Encounter once and Civ (the board game) once so it shouldn't be too hard for me to remember the rules in those games. I would really like to play Battlestar Galactica (once) as I've heard some good things about it.

Also I'll be doing a drunken shout-out (once) for the RPS BB posse at some point, you know, to distinguish this from every RPS social I've ever attended.

Obscure Node
    @Temple - Good job doing all the organising of the troops.

If there's no dissenting votes between now and then I'll bring Civ. It's good fun, and actually surprisingly quick to play once you've got a hang of the rules. I've also managed to pick up the Lord of the Rings LCG they talked about at the weekend (from here: http://www.guysthatgame.co.uk/gtgshop/ they actually seemed pretty damn good and helpful, so might be worth a look). For a pretty big box, there's not a lot of stuff in it, but it does make it pretty transportable.

Other than that, I think a "Not Getting Murdered" flag would be essential. See you all there I hope.

Well it seems now I don't have much time to stay, I'll probably get there around 11-11:30 but probably only be able to get a few games in I'll probably have to go at 1:30...at the latest 2:30, got to pick up the girlfriend since she is coming down. I don't know whether thats worth it for you so :(

Definitely worth it for me Xercies. I think the whole point of us joining/murdering LoB is there is no pressure on any of us for turning up as there will be other people around. Though if you were to blow us off in the middle of our epic Descent campaign as it comes to its conclusion two years from now and there will be repercussions... someone else will probably play your character or something.

McDan is not allowed out by the Ipswichians as he is the only one who knows the secret of fire, so you know there is a lot of it around.

My RPS social club experience went:
    1st night: failure on tube trains
    2nd night: Attend wrong venue
    3rd night: Attend wrong venue THEN finally attend right venue
    4th night: decide I did not want to go and then realise I am an idiot for not going
    Normally I am the person who turns up late, hopes the party has started and can just sidle in and out unnoticed.
    I realise now the whole point about boardgames is to get noticed so you actually get to play the frickin' game :)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Temple View Post
    I realise now the whole point about boardgames is to get noticed so you actually get to play the frickin' game :)
    Right, I'll be the guy who shows up wearing nothing but a top hat and a luminous condom then.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    wearing nothing but a top hat and a luminous condom
    Sounds pretty normal for that London.

Obscure Node
    I've joined the Not Get Murdered group [where's the name from by the way?], I'd be interested in attending but I can't make this Sunday. Hopefully it goes alright and I'll see you guys at the next one, whenever that might be...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    Right, I'll be the guy who shows up wearing nothing but a top hat and a luminous condom then.
    Any excuse. Geez.

@Jon -it came from our general desire to meet strangers and Not Get Murdered. Anyone who is not in the group is fair game though.
    We are tagging along on the London on Board group http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/
    They typically run a couple of weeknights (Tue and Wed) near Bank in central London, and 3 Sundays a month near St James Park.
    Join 'em and go along to any night -typically there are shout outs of games being organised on the site. Also we/you can organise RPSers going along to any of the days or nights to get a game of something.
    If we manage to not murder each other then we'll probably get a social night going at someone's place so we can play a Descent campaign as advertised by Mr Quintin Smith.
    Last edited by Temple; 29-06-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Oh, so that is how the reply button works

Obscure Node
    OK - Worked like a dog all weekso I've decided to have the weekend off.

I'll try to get down earlier on Sunday (11 ish) try to stuff as many games as I can into a big sack. Not sure about the beard and red outfit, but I'll see what I can do.

Turns out it was a false alarm, I can be there whenever I want so yeah definitely can't wait for a meaty game.