Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Activated Node
    I've talked to a few people from the Nottingham and Derby area in various parts of the RPS community now. The board game club that I go to is on every Tuesday evening, every Thursday evening (barring the first Thursday of the month) and one Saturday each month at Mondo Comico in Lace Market. There's also a monthly very long game day on a Saturday. Almost all of the people I've met there were very friendly, perhaps some of you might like to come along? The Mondo Comico events are free, although there is a 2 raffle if you would like to enter that supports the store and could also leave you with a lot of store credit to buy or order a new game.

Will you be attending on Sunday Temple?

I'm in two minds and was going to ask who was going. If I go it will only be for a couple of hours in the morning, so 11am-1pm, and there is the RPS Social Night the day/night before -you know what, as I write that I realise I prefer playing games to not-talking-to-people at social nights.

I mean conversation? What is that all about?

Went to Tuesday night bash and got to try out Through the Ages (and won) which is a rather excellent Civ game. If I had a gaming group into Euro style games I'd definitely buy it. Even slapped on a quick Race for the Galaxy at the end which I think is one of the better games out there.

So, yes I am going Sunday getting there pre-11am. Not sure what I can play in a couple of hours.
    Try London on Board for free and easy boardgaming

Activated Node
    Well, I think I'll probably be along: not sure how long I'll be around for, and it depends on me not being too hungover from the Blue posts the night before. I might bring Race for the Galaxy along if people want to play that, although I'd really like to get a game of Chaos in the Old World going. I'll aim to turn up early, I think, 11ish.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'm definitely going along on Sunday. I'll be trying to get there pre-11am, but may well have to clear off 4-5-ish depending on another commitment that day.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I'll try to be there, I don't have any commitments so probably be there all day again.

Get on the LoB page and convince Kester to bring Chaos in ye Old Worlde if you are hankering for such.
    http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/events/21224821/

Didn't grab me when I played it.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Perhaps if it were played among 4 RPS'ers, all of whom knew the rules somewhat, it'd be more fun. That as opposed to 3 clueless newbies and 1 uber-geek who's clearly played it loads.

Given the game's popularity I can't imagine it taking too long for someone to show up with the Skaven expansion too.

Well, I'm intending to try and make it, and have dropped a message on the LoB group. I'll try and get there for the start, but what with the other RPS meet-up tomorrow...

Quite new to this whole board-gaming lark, but willing to slip in to any game where people are prepared to tolerate my ignorance.

Obscure Node
    I'm hoping to make it along, might try to get there for 11am as well, because that is after all what Sunday mornings are for. Thought is bring Cosmic Encounter this time if anyone is interested in that, although part of me does want to bring civ do I can ruthlessly crush new players with my skill, but that didn't play out so well last time. I'd also be interested in trying out a game of Chaos in the Old World, although I might agree with temple that having the game taught to you but someone who is clearly trying to win isn't the best way to start. Was there also a suggestion of battlestar galactica?

I think we might need flags saying "not getting murdered" this time, just so we can all spot each other.

Obscure Node
    Sorry - I won't be able to make tomorrow. It's a shame because I really had fun last time. Definitely up for more in the future. I should have a life back come mid August.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I'd be more interested to play Chaos, hearing what you people say its gotten me concerned though. Maybe after I play that I will cross it off my list. BSG kind of wins it out for me a bit more then Cosmic Encounters because I've seen how that plays, but I don't mind. Maybe we need to be more known to each other as a group, because half the fun of that game is accusing everyone.

@Xercies -like I say, get over to LoB and ask Kester Jarvis to bring their copy -he was offering.

I've prodded someone into bringing Space Alert, so hopefully I can get in a game of that with some of you. Unfortunately, I'm only going to be there a couple of hours, I'm currently settling down for the last 4 and a half hours of today's Tour stage (one and a half hours in already). So, it is safe to say that I'm 'in to it' this year and want to watch it live tomorrow (and the following Sunday).

Long term I'll be going to Sunday 31st July then 7th, 21st August and staying for a decent length of time.
    Probably not bank holiday Sunday unless we all decide that is what we're doing :)
    By then I hope to get my games list up and people can make requests -I think Runebound would go down reasonably well (set in the same world as Descent, but combat is less visceral)

Also, you are ALL cylons.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Cleared the rest of the day's schedule, I'll be there all day.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Just got back from the latest LoB event. Much fun was had, murders were not. Managed to try out quite a lot of games today, although regrettably not Space Alert again.

Activated Node
    I got a chance to try Space Alert last Thursday. I wasn't really attracted to it by Quinns' review but still grabbed the chance when I had it. I really loved it, although I know others at the board were less convinced. One was thinking of buying it but said he usually gamed with people after a drink or two and thought it was likely to start fights. I had thought that the limited number of missions on the CD would limit replayability but there's more than enough variability elsewhere so I no longer believe that to be a problem. It also created some fun stories: one player sat pressing a button once every single turn as he hadn't realised that a) it wouldn't work the first time and b) that although it would work the second time the third, fourth and fifth times would be a waste of resources. I got stuck on the wrong side of the ship firing repeatedly at a meteor because I had forgotten that I had blown it up three turns ago. I then fired a rocket that would have hit the turn after we all died. Yet another loss for me in my impressively poor board gaming record :)

Obscure Node
    Was it good today? What games did you try out Fenix?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yeah, if anything better than last time. Problem is I can never remember the names of games. I know I tried Horus Heresy, there was a card game called Parade, another number based card game I never knew the name of in the first place, played Seven Wonders once, a space civilisation-esque card game, a card game offshoot of Space Hulk. Hmm, possibly another couple, I got a lot more different games played this time round courtesy of a lot more quick games being brought.

I'm definitely a lot better at war games than anything else. Gaining arbitrary victory points through some kind of economic process just doesn't seem to be my thing. I won at Battlelore last time, won at Horus Heresy this time, won the space-civ game simply because I drew good military cards and forced the game's premature end through absurdly rapid military conquest.

@Fenix Oooh, oooh, guess the games. I like playing this one (I have a die from a childhood game that I am always trying to remember the game it came from)
    Space-civ was probably Race for the Galaxy (always feel military is over-powered great game though). Space Hulk offshoot was Death Angel.
    Hah, you are going to turn into a grognard and play only hex-based chit wargames of excruciating detail.

Right important thing (sort of)
    I definitely cannot make the 24th, from the LoB calendar it looks like there isn't one on the 31st and I'm sure the pub said to tell the organisers that the 7th August was not possible as they were renovating. The 14th is already booked by the RP group that uses the pub. So the next day might be the 21st August.

Is it time to *gulp* meet up at someone's place?
    I know a lot of you travel so we'd have to try and play a whole day to make it worth it. I think BSG and Space Alert would go down well, I'd offer Runebound as a bit of a hack and slash.

Or, I'll get on to Jeff Clark and see if the 31st July might come up -or I just get my gaming fix in the evening events (which I'm going to anyway if people want to arrange anything)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Correct on both counts Temple, it was Race for the Galaxy and Death Angel.

Given the success in Not Getting Murdered so far perhaps it is time to leave the proverbial nest and take the plunge in a more likely to get murdered location.