Activated Node

RPS should do an article about former PC devs and why they left the platform

I think it would be quite interesting to get some response from developers who used to make PC games and now only make games for consoles and mobile platforms as to why they've abandoned the PC and if we'll ever see them return to us.

What's got me thinking about this is the release of Redlynx's Trials Evolution on XBLA. These guys started out PC and now make console and mobile games. If you've checked out Trials Evo you'll know that it's un-freaking-believable. It's Trials 2:SE times 1000, track editor, IT'S OUTDOORS NOW not in a warehouse, multiplayer, amazing! But us PC gamers, we get... nothing from them!

Another dev who jumped ship is Llamasoft. Pioneers in PC gaming, they now make mobile games, just mobile games. A shame as Gridrunner Revolution was excellent. BUT, the leaderboards for it have been offline for it for a year and a half, maybe longer.

So what's happening? What do all these companies have to say about turning their backs on what is arguably the biggest gaming market there is?

Ask Cliffy B.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Lack of funding. Directives by publishers.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Because they are weak.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossignol View Post
    Because they are weak.
    I'm going with daft, they chose to be thralls.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    There's so much uncertainty on PC. "Will they like this? Will they like this?"

On console it's "Doesn't matter if you like it; that's all the platform-holder will let us release." So much less anxiety.

So I'm going to go with, "For the sake of mental health."

Also (and more seriously) because control. Devs like to know that you see the game as intended. A console is (SD and HD notwithstanding) guaranteed to produce that, but on PC it depends on all sorts of multiplicities of configurations.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    Ask Cliffy B.
    I bet you wouldn't get an inteligent answer though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by magnus1969 View Post
    I bet you wouldn't get an inteligent answer though.
    I think they make aphrodisiac perfumes out of Cliffyb's sweat. They market them as rhino pheromones, tho.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    9.9 times out of 10 the answer you will get when asking any particular developer why they migrated to consoles is "piracy".

It doesn't matter that they are wrong. It doesn't matter that piracy doesn't matter. That is the answer they will give.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    9.9 times out of 10 the answer you will get when asking any particular developer why they migrated to consoles is "piracy".

It doesn't matter that they are wrong. It doesn't matter that piracy doesn't matter. That is the answer they will give.
    It doesn't even matter if it isn't the real reason too.
    Piracy is a nice scapegoat.