Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

We Are In 2010s Already, And Battlefield 4 Is Still Constrained to 64 Max Cap

7 game modes and max player count for each mode is announced:

http://www.incgamers.com/2013/09/bat...ven-game-modes

I know it is doable to have 128-player game. Back during Battlefield 3 Beta there are some hacked servers with 128 player battles, and they worked quite well with the map Metro. Only within the same day they banned those servers. I wonder what prevents DICE from delivering a massive battlefield.

Not cool, this is just not cool.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    People with lesser computers not able to handle 128?

I'll have ultra on SC2, but when I play a 4v4 or a tug a war map, you can get massive amount of units and start to get slowdown. At least with BF4 being more server based the slowdown only affects that one player, but I imagine they do not want to have to deal with that Q&A.

They should still offer it and lots of warnings your computer may not be able to handle it or you need to turn some settings down.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    People with lesser computers not able to handle 128?
    Don't think so. Mine is with GPU AMD HD4870 1GB GDDR5, which had already been deemed obsolete back then, and it ran those 128-player games smoothly.

Lesser Hivemind Node karaquazian's Avatar
    Planetside 2 can handle TWO THOUSAND players per continent

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Because people want better graphics. Be honest and tell me if you would play BF4 with 128-250 people per server with 5 times larger maps but only with bf1942 graphics ?

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Because people want better graphics. Be honest and tell me if you would play BF4 with 128-250 people per server with 5 times larger maps but only with bf1942 graphics ?
    I doubt that. It would depend on how DICE optimizes the code. Technology doesn't seem to be the issue. Plus, it's been proved that larger player count works well.

I think what EA concerns is to make PC version not too much better than console versions. Actually even Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 are both able to handle 128-player games for Battlefield 3, according to DICE. It was MS and Sony who didn't approve so. Obviously for some under-the-table deal with some parties, EA doesn't want to offer a version of a game too good against its console counterparts.

I would rather play ps2 with BF2.5 level graphics and upto 6000 people per server on 3 massive persistent maps

Honestly i wouldn't mind Joint Operations graphics with all modern gameplay features minus regen,with all new battlefield destruction and shit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by karaquazian View Post
    Planetside 2 can handle TWO THOUSAND players per continent
    Yes, but it can only handle a ~400 in a single fight. Bigger than that and things start to break.
    Also, the terrain in PS2 is completely fixed to minimize dynamic elements. (not even doors!)

Still, if you want BIG fights, PS2 is the number once choice for now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    That reminds me, did PS2 fix the huge graphic and slowdown problems people were having?
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    No Titan mode.

Where's Titan mode DICE?

Where is it?

I'm waiting.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

I have enough of this modern settings,would love to have sci-fi version of BF again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    I have enough of this modern settings,would love to have sci-fi version of BF again.
    But then it wouldn't be basically indistinguishable from that other game to all but the savviest connoisseurs of digital gun-bobbing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    But then it wouldn't be basically indistinguishable from that other game to all but the savviest connoisseurs of digital gun-bobbing.
    Which is actually getting a lot more sci-fi'y these days. Which is hilarious.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    The 64 player max cap has nothing to do with technical limitations or anything (BF2 could run 128, see also Project Reality). It's simply a design choice. DICE feels most accostumed to making maps for 64 players or less, and they would rather balance their entire gameplay style around that rather then taking a big jump and going to 128. The thing with 64 players is that it is rather big, but an effective squad can still stand out from the rest if they want to. The more players you get, the less individuals matter, and Dice simply feels that 64 players strikes the correct balance in individuality mattering and teambased shenanigans.

No Titan mode.

Where's Titan mode DICE?

Where is it?

I'm waiting.
    Some DICE dude (Lundstrom or something) has said that they are looking for a way to reintegrate Titan mode, eventually.

I wish they would have done it sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    That reminds me, did PS2 fix the huge graphic and slowdown problems people were having?
    I've not had such problems myself

You need a fairly decent processor to run it though, I'm only using a 6300 fx, but I run it at 1080p on ultra, I wouldn't expect people on i5 to have issues

But yes It needs a decent computer. because it does a lot. There's a reason its not on current gen consoles.

Compare it to bf, it has to cope with much bigger draw distances and player counts, compare it to gw2 WvW it has to cope with more players, bigger maps, true real time combat, collision detection and bullet tracing without the horrendous culling problems of gw2. Lightforge Is a really strong game engine for anything with large amounts of players, it impresses me greatly, sure other engines might have more graphical flourish, but they can't handle anything like the amount of stuff while still looking pretty darn good.
    Last edited by karaquazian; 27-09-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    Yes, but it can only handle a ~400 in a single fight. Bigger than that and things start to break.
    Also, the terrain in PS2 is completely fixed to minimize dynamic elements. (not even doors!)

Still, if you want BIG fights, PS2 is the number once choice for now.
    Well yeah you don't want your fights too big. What's good though is as a clan you can be in multiple simultaneous fights and shift your forces to where you need them. It's that higher level of strategy I like, there's no fps like it strategy wise. Hell there arent many mmos like it strategy wise, only ones I've played were daoc which dies pretty much the same thing, and eve which has a whole load of meta strategy on top with all the politics and spying and ecconomy. Good thing for old its like me though ps2 isn't all consuming like eve, you can drop in and out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Back during Battlefield 3 Beta there are some hacked servers with 128 player battles, and they worked quite well with the map Metro.
    Oh god, 128 player Metro sounds like the worst thing ever.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Not yet.
    The patch that is meant to fix performance is scheduled for mid-october, with all other work on the game suspended.

Of course, the reality is that performance gets better and worse from patch to patch for different hardware combos.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Upgrade the Internet.

Its very possible that we can't have 100 players battles with the current internet.

Warhammer Online is closing and Guild Wars 2 is facing problems with his massive mp battles. And these are two mmos optimized for massivenes, where stuff like precision is sacrificed.
    Abandoned PC gaming for good. Now rest in a better place. psn:Teikman