Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Torchlight 2

Activated Node
    I'm thinking about getting Torchlight 2. I I enjoyed Torchlight 1 well enough but never really got sucked into it. I might buy it if I had a couple of friends to play with but all my friends are jumping on the D3 hype train. I just can't be bother to spend $60 on a game in this genre. I like them for time killing purposes but don't see them for anything past that.

Obscure Node
    I'm not quite sure what to think about Torchlight 2. I played Torchlight a bit, but found the lack of multiplayer to be a bit of a let down. Solo play got pretty boring for me, and I didn't really enjoy the linear feel of the game - going downwards in one dungeon. Torchlight 2 fixes those issues by adding multiplayer and an open world, so I may give it a go. If there's a demo I'll definitely give it a try, otherwise I'll probably wait for a Steam sale in a couple of years time.

Obscure Node
    D3 or Torchligh 2? It's a tough choice. Few days before I was sure D3 will own Torchlight 2, but then, waiting for D3, I installed Torchlight and damn this game is fun. There is plenty to do (well it's monster slashing mainly, but still), graphic style is awesome. Then I search for some mods and I have to say, it's getting better. Firstly I didn't care about this shit at all, but when I see what people did with this game, it's amazing. It came to this, that watching some gameplay of D3 on youtube, I thought it looks terribly dull compared to Torchlight (and Torchlight 2). I'm not a D3 hater like some of people here, check my other posts in D3 threads, but now I understand why Torchlight devs are not affraid of D3 competition.

But there are few problems for me:
    - I'm too casual player, to play Torchlight online. I won't find anyone to play with.
    - I really like Diablo's replayability. New difficulty levels with new playthroughts, new items, monster skills etc.
    - And as for items, I always felt more happy with unique drops in Diablo than in Torchligh. Maybe because there's too many unique drops in Torchligh, or maybe because those uniques are not so unique.

If I had to choose one of this game, I'd be probably puzzled. But I'll buy both.

Network Hub
    I think it's ironic that the two people who rail the most against D3/Blizzard in other threads bring the topic up themselves in a thread totally not about D3/Blizzard within the first two posts.

Anyway, Torchlight 2: Really enjoyed Torchlight 1, though it got somewhat dull and generic a bit too fast (especially the randomly generated dungeons after the last "story-level"). From what I've seen of Torchlight 2 though, they seem to have a lot more varied environments and monsters this time around.

Network Hub
    So, I found the skill design pretty boring in Torchlight 1. Did they improve this in TL2?

I'm cautiously optimistic that Torchlight 2 will resonate with me more than the first one did. I thought the skill system was an outright failure the first time around, with the only viable option being to stick to one or two combat skills and a handful of one-point passives.

On top of that, there weren't any particularly unique or fun skills on any skilltree. They all seemed to be some variant of small midrange projectile, slightly-higher-damage melee, or summon-a-monster-to-play-the-game-for-me.

I'm sorry to be so negative, because in general I'm glad that developers like the ones at Runic are putting out such high quality material at a more reasonable price point...

But I just don't see the appeal of Torchlight 1. The only enjoyment I ever got out of it was when I simultaneously listened to the radio and just wanted something mindless to click.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I bought two copies of Torchlight 2 - we'll probably play around 10 hours then get bored of it, but any game that is featuring LAN multiplayer in this time and year will automatically generate at least two sales from me.

This needs to be supported!
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Network Hub
    So it looks like there is a stress test/open beta this weekend http://www.torchlight2game.com/news/...d-stress-test/, you just need to sign up for a runic account.

No idea if there is a limit on spaces but I got a key though and I signed up yesterday. Feel free to add me on steam if anyone fancys some coop username cjone2

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goatmonkey View Post
    So it looks like there is a stress test/open beta this weekend
    Well frsk. I need to buy more time. I just downloaded ArmA2:CO to be able to dip into DayZ, it's also a beta weekend for The Secret World... and now this.

WTB more time, PST.

Network Hub
    I am still on the fence with Torchlight 2, I enjoyed 1 for the most part, but it did get a bit repetitive towards the end, without a huge amount in enemy and environment variation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Well frsk. I need to buy more time. I just downloaded ArmA2:CO to be able to dip into DayZ, it's also a beta weekend for The Secret World... and now this.

WTB more time, PST.
    I have some very reasonable rates on time purchases.

Disclaimer: Time may not actually work, may result in loss of time, experience may vary.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    One of pets is a ferret. The ferret wears goggles.

Network Hub
    I got into the stress test beta so I am going to play it then I guess I will post a trip report here or something later.

edit: I'm done for now, here is my initial impressions that I am gonna copy/paste from a Skype chat I'm in because I'm lazy:

Quote Originally Posted by me in the Skypechat
    my thoughts are: it is a big improvement over torchlight 1 and has some cool things in it but there are things that i think d3 does better. there is one thing in particular that they haven't quite learned from torchlight 1 which actually kind of sucks, though, and kills my vibe a little. it is still worth a buy though and i will be on it too
    The one thing I mentioned there is the skill trees. There is a slightly bigger active skill selection this time but there are still a lot of boring passives that you kind of have to have at least one point in which sucks a bit to be honest. I feel like I can't grab the funner skills as much as I'd like because the passive will benefit me so much more, same as in Torchlight 1.

But aside from that it is an improvement, imo, and worth getting, particularly if you're alienated by D3.
    Last edited by cosmicolor; 18-05-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I like this game.

Can't wait to kill hordes with a embermague with people of RPS :D

Network Hub
    If any of you are in the beta too, add me as cosmicolor ingame, or on my character Uncle Porkstar if you need that name and we shall play.

Network Hub
    I have to agree with Cosmicolor after coming from a bit of Path of Exile, while I feel Torchlight 2 is more fun what PoE does with mana/health potion (loot items that recharge on kills) and active skills (socketable gems that level up) those aspects feel a bit lacking. I guess that is the problem with so many ARPGs you may prefer one overall but each has a worthy feature you wish was in another.

Network Hub
    I feel Diablo 3 does skills a little... funner, at least for me. There are more active skills at early levels, it doesn't feel like you have passives forced on you immediately. To get more nitpicky, the control isn't as smooth either, enemy hitboxes seem harder to click on, I occasionally click on an enemy only to have my guy just run past, which is a little annoying. What skills I have got so far in TL2 feel meaty which is good, except the rubbish shield charge thing the engineer has.

Loot has also improved in TL2, at least from what I'm seeing. I'm not flooded with dud drops anyone like I was in TL1, which is very good indeed, and it looks good too. Runic did a good job of an overworld too, it feels so much more open now and rewards exploration too.

Despite my reservations I feel it is overall a big improvement on TL1.
    Last edited by cosmicolor; 18-05-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    All the talk about active-versus-passive skills is interesting to me. In theory, more active skills sounds like the more entertaining option, but in practice I consistently find that route to be less useful for a few reasons.

1. Active skills often become outdated by later skills, and it's not obvious (without extensive out-of-game research) how many points, if any, you should invest in them to achieve a workable build. This was a problem in Diablo II.

2. Setting aside point 1, it's difficult to know whether an active skill is useful or not. Unlike (most) passive skills, active skills are frequently situational. Sometimes more skill points and/or upgrades will turn a skill from a seeming waste to an outrageously powerful weapon, and other times will just make it even more of a waste. This was a problem in Titan Quest.

3. Too many choices can be overwhelming, in terms of making an initial choice, remembering that the abilities are available to you, and making a useful UI and/or control scheme. This was a problem in Dungeon Siege III.

Any thoughts on these points?

Downloading the beta now. I'm pretty damn stoked for this. Pets!!!
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    All the talk about active-versus-passive skills is interesting to me. In theory, more active skills sounds like the more entertaining option, but in practice I consistently find that route to be less useful for a few reasons.

1. Active skills often become outdated by later skills, and it's not obvious (without extensive out-of-game research) how many points, if any, you should invest in them to achieve a workable build. This was a problem in Diablo II.

2. Setting aside point 1, it's difficult to know whether an active skill is useful or not. Unlike (most) passive skills, active skills are frequently situational. Sometimes more skill points and/or upgrades will turn a skill from a seeming waste to an outrageously powerful weapon, and other times will just make it even more of a waste. This was a problem in Titan Quest.

3. Too many choices can be overwhelming, in terms of making an initial choice, remembering that the abilities are available to you, and making a useful UI and/or control scheme. This was a problem in Dungeon Siege III.

Any thoughts on these points?
    I like TQ system since you can create a lot of different class combinations. The one thing I like with D3 is throwing that customization out. Sure its nice to have that freedom, but really you were either gimping yourself or picking 1 of 3 builds. Skill combos are fun to play with.

Hope to see Grim Dawn refine the TQ system.

Just finished playing through with the Bezerker, the skill involving transforming into a wolf and rampaging over everyone until the mana runs out is hilarious and amazing at the same time, lots of mobs died. It seems they hand out waaay too many health potions on Veteran though as I had about 70 large ones when I killed the end boss of the beta.
    Lots of fun though, still looks lovely and there was plenty of interesting loot floating about, I was repeatedly changing up my loadouts for superior gear that kept dropping. The variety of mobs and variants are quite good too and I didn't get tired of seeing any one in particular.

Negatives: The pathfinding for the pets is terrible in the later areas and at one point I glitched through a wall onto a platform I had to portal to back town to get off of. But it is still beta so I'll let them off, for now. I also couldn't join ANY co-op games and if anyone has some tips for port forwarding please let me know.