Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Torchlight 2

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davkaus View Post
    I only managed to put in a few hours last night due to work, but i'm not enjoying it so much as the first. I've got to level 14, but I think it's the class more than the game. I'm trying out the embermage and everything seems so slow and weak.

I played the destroyer in the first game and had a great time charging in to combat and just cleaving everything, it felt so much more satisying than the embermage, so I guess it's time to give the berserker a try.

Traditionally, mages always start off slow and become really powerful down the road since they rely more on abilities than weapon damage. I don't know if this is the same in TL2 since I've only played berserker, but it's a general rule of thumb in any RPG.

It is so good! I never finished the original Torchlight but this is the sort of thing I really, really like. Is there a chance the game might incorporate Steam Workshop?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oshada View Post
    It is so good! I never finished the original Torchlight but this is the sort of thing I really, really like. Is there a chance the game might incorporate Steam Workshop?
    yes. It will incorporate Steam workshop and there will be modding tools for this game released by Runic later on.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Obscure Node
    Has anyone else found the game more full-on than Diablo, PoE etc?

After about an hour playing the Berserker I was exhausted from the effort I was putting in trying to stay on top of everything going on in the game. Much more pleasantly challenging than I was expecting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrki View Post
    Seconded, big hammers are a joy with a side dish of cannons. :) Though, I certainly did enjoy the outlander during the beta, they have some really nice skills. I'm enjoying the game immensely so far. Saying that, I do have two rather small complaints.

1. I wish that when I shift-click on something in my inventory to transfer it to the pet, the pet inventory wouldn't open. Maybe that can be changed somewhere.

2. This is rather general, and applies to almost every game ever, but it also applies here. I wish the boss fights weren't there. bosses are just very large enemies with huge amounts of hp and a special attack or two. For me at least, the regular champions are more fun. But as I said, it's like that in every game.

edit: As I already started writing, might as well. One small thing that I like, aside from the polish that is visible in every aspect of the game, is the fact that set items are relatively common giving you an actual chance to complete a set during a playthrough.
    1.- This could just be because I am still very early on, but I have already found the charge mechanic to be quite op. As an Embermage at Veteran, it allows you to not consume mana whilst it is full and with so many enemies it is not hard to get it charged up. I was able to really spam my spells with zero penalty for a large amount of time, something that is only going to get more pronounced as the hordes increase in size further into the game.
    1.- agree.

2.- Depends on which boss, some are a reeeeeal pain. Crank the difficulty up to at least Veteral and by 2nd act every bossfight is "OHDUCKOHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCK"

3.- Early sets yeah, we'll see about lategame sets.

4.- It is because you are early on. Later there are a lot of enemy skills comboing and they start throwing huge packs of enemies at you so AoE is a must. Normal is a breeze, Veteran is what Normal would be in other games. I have died twice in 30 levels, which seems fair.

I'm assuming that those of you talking about a 'challenge' are playing on Veteran. I only played for about 2 hours last night but my level 20 engineer has only ever died once on Normal and that was more of an 'oops' on my part. I'll probably start a new character today after work and turn up the difficulty a bit.

Definitely, I'm just destroying stuff on Normal. Might bump it up once I finish the game properly.

Was cocky enough to start playing on elite. It's harder elite than it was in beta, but veteran is pretty much the same as in beta difficulty. For fun I'm running around as Maul wielding berserker for the moment.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Autopanda View Post
    Has anyone else found the game more full-on than Diablo, PoE etc?

After about an hour playing the Berserker I was exhausted from the effort I was putting in trying to stay on top of everything going on in the game. Much more pleasantly challenging than I was expecting.
    Yeah, this game is more tiring than most diablolikes.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

My lightning hammer!

2012-09-21_00002.jpg

On another topic: story so far is nice after finishing act 1. I would rate it higher than Diablo 1 story, which was the only good one in all 3 Diablo games and which is just a bit better than Hellgate: London story.
    Last edited by Bankrotas; 21-09-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DickSocrates View Post
    I *was* hyped for Diablo III... about 2 years ago, but then everything they announced in the last year put me off. I'm at the point in my life where I can take or leave games, so I decided to leave Diablo III as I can't support Blizzard/Activision's business practices or give them my money (for anything, honestly don't think I've ever bought an Activision product). I actually don't care if it's brilliant underneath all the layers of bs, it makes no difference to me at all.

So I am putting my Diablo-like eggs into Torchlight 2's basket, which from what I've read is a better game anyway.
    My thoughts exactly.

I am playing a Beserker but can't decide whether to go str or dex. Str seems like the obvious choice since the beserker's rage meter provides critical hits. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Lone Gunman; 21-09-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Both? Dex, needed to reduce fumble and increase dodge. Bit to Focus to increase execute chance, if you plan to dualwield.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    I finished Act 1 on Veteran and so far the difficulty feels just about right. Normal monsters die quickly enough but champions and bosses require some work. I do think the game is a bit too generous with health potions though. I currently have 50 of the things without ever buying one, which means I can tank almost anything a boss throws at me.

I originally went Berserker, but his skillset didn't really appeal to me so I restarted as Outsider. It's a lot of fun, Shotguns in particular feel great to use. My only real complaint about the class is that the starting skill seems almost too good. There's no real reason to invest into anything else so I put all my other points into passives and spend most of my time using the same tactic over and over again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    I finished Act 1 on Veteran and so far the difficulty feels just about right. Normal monsters die quickly enough but champions and bosses require some work. I do think the game is a bit too generous with health potions though. I currently have 50 of the things without ever buying one, which means I can tank almost anything a boss throws at me.

I originally went Berserker, but his skillset didn't really appeal to me so I restarted as Outsider. It's a lot of fun, Shotguns in particular feel great to use. My only real complaint about the class is that the starting skill seems almost too good. There's no real reason to invest into anything else so I put all my other points into passives and spend most of my time using the same tactic over and over again.
    I did the opposite. I played the Outsider but it never really grasped me. Then I switched to Berserker and have been enjoying him. I plan on investing into lots of health regen skills so that I can cut through seas of foes with an endless supply of slowly regenerating health. Veteran difficulty is feeling just right for me so far as well.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Obscure Node
    Has anyone figured out what to do in phase beast challenge, located in ossean wastes ? (second act, first big location)
    There are 3 big blob thingies, that constantly spawning smaller ones.
    I tried brute-force my way through it, but they have too much hp and hp regen.
    Simply don't know what to do.

Obscure Node
    Is there any developing wisdom on good Embermage builds? Should I concentrate all on one element, or just mix and match? Should I load up only on a few skills, or spread them out?

I've put a bunch of points into the Prismatic Bolt, and one point into the short-range lightning skill next to it. I'm doing ok on Veteran (level 12 or so), but I don't "feel powerful". I want some fireworks...

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shezo View Post
    Has anyone figured out what to do in phase beast challenge, located in ossean wastes ? (second act, first big location)
    There are 3 big blob thingies, that constantly spawning smaller ones.
    I tried brute-force my way through it, but they have too much hp and hp regen.
    Simply don't know what to do.
    I remember that part being a huge pain. I was fortunate because I have an ability that summones minions whenever I kill an enemy so it was manageable for me. I don't know if there's an actual trick to the encounter, though. Maybe you have to kill the Doctor Slime first?

Also wow, the Forsaken Vaults are a big step up in terms of difficulty. I died more times on the first floor of that dungeon than I did in the rest of the game combined and eburned through my entire stack of potions to boot. This game is definitely more demanding than the original ever was.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If anyone is still hovering over the 'buy' button for this, in the Bargains Forum, Celt has offered to buy a US Gamersgate 4pack (could be as low as $38-odd) and I'm in, but we're looking for 2 more folks to make the set.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l=1#post193050

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    If anyone is still hovering over the 'buy' button for this, in the Bargains Forum, Celt has offered to buy a US Gamersgate 4pack (could be as low as $38-odd) and I'm in, but we're looking for 2 more folks to make the set.

I replied in the bargains forum :)

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post

If you're interested I can buy it as well in USD and I got the IGN discount, so it'll be $50.99, or 12.75$ each.
    PM me if you're interested :)