Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
As to skills, prismatic bolt is at 13, and is my bread-and-butter attack skill.!
Ah, apologies, I didn't know you were running Prismatic Bolt. In that case you should be just fine, even after the nerf it's still the most powerful skill the Embermage has.

Your notes about armor explain a lot, I've been fairly baffled by its seeming irrelevance in resolving the issues I've been having.
It seems to be a common complaint on the official forums. The problem is especially pronounced on Elite, but even on the lower difficulties it gets quite noticeable once you reach the higher levels. I hope Runic either changes the way armour works or makes damage resistance more common, as otherwise anyone unwilling to grind won't be able to keep up.

Oh, while I'm at it, how valuable is damage reflection? How does that actually work, anyway?
Not the way you'd expect, unfortunately. If you have an item that gives you 50 damage reflection, then every time an enemy hits you he will take 50 damage. It won't reduce the damage you yourself take, however. Considering by this point your damage output is probably somewhere in the thousands, damage reflection is just a drop in the bucket.

Also, is dexterity any help, here?
It might be, but I'd advise against investing into Dexterity. The problem is that it has diminishing returns, raising Dex from 0 to 50 gives you more Dodge chance than raising it from 50 to 100, relatively speaking. Which means it becomes less efficient with every point you invest. On top of that, Dodge only seems to work on physical attacks, which are generally less dangerous than magical ones. You're better off putting these points either into Focus for even more damage, or Vitality for the added Block chance.