Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Torchlight 2

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    I know they aren't doing any paid DLC, but as far as full-out expansion packs, I haven't heard anything. Might be too early for them to have even made that decision.
    They are releasing mod tools, which is all the expansions you ever need!

Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    I know they aren't doing any paid DLC, but as far as full-out expansion packs, I haven't heard anything. Might be too early for them to have even made that decision.
    They are releasing mod tools, which is all the expansions you ever need!
    Hmmm, yeah, mods....that's what makes Skyrim that charming!!
    City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork marvels, and ancient evils. Visit City of Steam on Facebook for screenshots, dev diaries, and news updates!

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    My gears' improved quite some margin too, to the extent that I now have enough mana to spam prismatic bolts and get my Charge to full before I run out of mana, spam some more and almost by the time the Charge has worn off, have my mana back up to full. Also, found good use out of the prismatic...repel? It's the spell left of wand chaos and it gives a chance that whenever a mob hits you, it gets teleported away and may endure an elemental effect. It's currently at 50% chance, so it works rather often. A fun tactic I discovered though was to use the ice teleport (top right of ice) ability whilst Charged and spam it and fly around. Because of the movement, I'm hard to hit but am also able to deal out minor AoE.
    I chose embermage for my second playthrough, and just got to Act 2. I also use prismatic bolts almost exclusively, and the best thing is it only requires a single skill point. Plus double wielding wands gives a high chance of executing as you're putting points in focus anyway.

Overall very pleased with the title; feels like the sequel to Diablo 2 I'd been hoping for. Despite people clamouring to choose one over the other, I think Diablo 3 still holds up well and has some nice features, ultimately T2 is far more satisfying and enjoyable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    I started out with an engineer, got him to 22 or so but I kept feeling that something was off. Yesterday evening I rolled an outlander, played just the very first area on veteran, and it felt like a whole new, better, game. Guess I'm just a sucker for ranged/kiting characters (I do love my witch doctor in D3).

But yeah, the best, obvious thing about TL2 is that loot is meaningful - it's actually exciting checking what dropped to see if you can use it, instead of just sighing and saying "oh well, can't even AH this, vendor it is". Because the chance of actually being able to use what drops in D3 is very, very slim.

That being said, the lack of respec in TL2 is annoying.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    It really is, I want to switch between Bow and Gun specialization when I want to.

Also here's my Berserker, don't laugh! ;p

His pants is actually a berserker specific pants.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Did anyone else chuckle at the "Apprentice Baiter" fishing achievement, or am I just really juvenile?
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    Did anyone else chuckle at the "Apprentice Baiter" fishing achievement, or am I just really juvenile?
    It wasn't just you. I must admit to at least mild disappointment that the upper level achievement for that is "Master Angler" as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    It wasn't just you. I must admit to at least mild disappointment that the upper level achievement for that is "Master Angler" as well.
    Haha, that's the first thing I checked after I stopped playing. What a letdown. I see what they did there, though.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

A technical question guys, do you have an idea why the UI doesn't partally fit my screen it T2? the portrait of the pet is only partially visible and the buttons at the sides to bring up the panels are barely visible also. I have the game set in 1280x780 i think.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    It's not ideal, but you can reset your skillpoints by enabling console (My docs -> My Games -> Runic Games -L> TL2 -> Saves -> lots of numbers -> Settings) , then using "resetskills"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I'm a little baffled by the lack of respec, especially after the developer-produced respec mod potion in TL1. Here's hoping something similar comes along soon.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I'm a little baffled by the lack of respec, especially after the developer-produced respec mod potion in TL1. Here's hoping something similar comes along soon.
    I think the reason it comes along as a mod is to make difficulty balancing easier. Bluntly, if you can respec at will, people are always going to be able to minmax to have the optimum build for any given fight. And then whine that it's too easy. But then if you make it more difficult for them, people who don't want to have to follow a cookie-cutter build for every significant boss fight in the game get punished for just wanting to take the skills that appeal to them. I definitely feel this is the case now that you can undo your three most recent skills bought - if you buy a dud skill you hate, you can trade it in and swap it around as you wish, but after a while your choices are binding.

However, if you have it in as a mod that's easy enough to get, you can have your cake and eat it too - those who want infinite respecs can have them on their own risk, without potentially fouling up the metagame for everyone else. Not a perfect solution, obviously.

I think a good solution would be to allow full respecing, but just make it too costly to be done lightly. Like 5% of your total gold per skill point, let's say.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I'm sure it won't be long till the min-maxing comes into play, but so far I've a fair idea of what's going on and what's working. Picked up a skill in the lightning tree for the mage that marks a target/area and on their death, you gain health and mana. Takes a bit too long to set-up/cast, but if you prepare it well, it can be incredibly beneficial. I dunno though, I think having a respec potion isn't such a bad thing, so long as people are using it not to purely min-max. Obviously the way you do that is making sure anyone can take what they want and feel comfortable with without feeling like they are letting themselves/the side down. Easier said than done.

Still, the dungeons in Act 2 get rather hard, don't they? Some of the density of mobs has been killer (literally), along with some mobs having absurd damage (I got hit for more damage than my health pool at one point). Perhaps it's me; there's a lot of gear I've got that is about 10 levels lower than what I have (hell, I think I have a ring that's from the single digit levels) because their magic-boostingness out-strips the health and armour gain, but I'm beginning to feel the hurt. Still, a bit over-levelled for the current places, but still taking the damage. Veteran really does feel like a sweet-spot for the majority of the time.

That said, it'd be nice on a new-game plus to join up for some multiplayer action from the start (alternatively, happy to just start a new character with someone). Is there a character-cap? In addition, how do you actually make friends with someone? I've completely ignored the MP aspect for the time being.