Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Torchlight 2

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I guess after all these posts, what I want to say is Torchlight 2 is still as good a game as it was since it released, if not better, and there's plenty of variable content for you to discover if you want to go at it again.

Phew.
    I'd burned right out after an unhealthy amount of Mapworks/Gambler farming, but you've made me wanna look back into it now. Found a fair few of the small may-or-may-not-spawn dungeons like the Minecraft one (the one referencing The Thing is one of my faves), though I don't recognise that Dwarven one, or the Netherealm portal. Wasn't aware any more content was added tbh.

Seems indeed there's some more hunting to be done... after I get that storage mod of course, as I'd collected so much guff and out-levelled sets that I didn't want to part with *just in case*, I ended up rolling and running new characters to town just to bank it all.

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Sayyy, look what I found!

steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Memph View Post
    I'd burned right out after an unhealthy amount of Mapworks/Gambler farming, but you've made me wanna look back into it now. Found a fair few of the small may-or-may-not-spawn dungeons like the Minecraft one (the one referencing The Thing is one of my faves), though I don't recognise that Dwarven one, or the Netherealm portal. Wasn't aware any more content was added tbh.

Seems indeed there's some more hunting to be done... after I get that storage mod of course, as I'd collected so much guff and out-levelled sets that I didn't want to part with *just in case*, I ended up rolling and running new characters to town just to bank it all.
    Yeah, I feel you on pretty much all of that. After finishing my first game with my mage, I tinkered in the map works for some time. It threw off the balance a little bit with the NG+ unfortunately, but I just sat back, making everything explode due to my tasty five figure crits. Based on some of the other dungeons I've seen up to now, there's either a set amount of them that can spawn and, like loot tables, it picks randomly from them to populate, or I imagine one or two rotate whilst there are some fixed ones. I'll inform when I get to Act 3 if I encounter the dwarven one again. It's obviously neat though; I'm on technically my fourth run of the game (on my 3rd mage one and done one as a berserker in co-op) and I've yet to see Clap-Trap. I have not decided if this is good or bad, however.

Regarding mod installation, it's really easy. I don't know how easy it is with other games using workshop, but you download the ones you want from the workshop by subscribing, boot up the game with mods enabled (there's two buttons to start the game now, the one with the cog is the mod enabled one). You then get a menu that asks you to select active mods and then order them in preference (ie. some don't work together, this tries to let you filter them through) and then you start the game from there. You can play online, although to what degree it works with certain mods I don't know; I haven't tried it yet. Using the mod-enabled version starts you off with no saves though, but if you go into the folder (usually through My Documents > My Games > Runic Games > Torchlight 2) you can copy the contents of your existing saves (in the folder appropriately titled 'save' - there'll be another sub-folder that is a string of numbers, this is tied to your Steam profile so if multiple people play Torchlight through different profiles on your PC, there'll be more folders) and put them into the folder also appropriately titled 'modsave'.

Essentially, if you go into 'save' folder, copy the string number folder, then dump that into the 'modsave' folder, which unless you've already used mods on should be empty, you can play a mod resuming from where you left off. I'd strongly recommend backing it up before you do, just in case. I suppose this way you could copy back your progress into the base game, but unless you properly take precautions, I guess you'd lose a load of items that would then be in non-existing storage pages. I do want to try out the Synergies mod, likely after this current run I'm on, so I'm not too sure how it'd work with me installing that with my current saves in places. Perhaps I'll just have to make a load of copies and then slot them all in whenever I want to use whichever ones.

That was probably a long winded explanation of something you already knew how to do! :P

Quote Originally Posted by squareking View Post
    Sayyy, look what I found!
    Don't go in, it's a trap!

So I explored a bit more of the second open map of act 2 and, as far as I can tell, have not uncovered any more new dungeons specific to the area, but I did find out some cool things.

New phase beast challenge - treasure hunt. It features this gloriously silly design:

I mean, really now? It's a bit great and I laughed when I first saw it.

Anyhow, upon entry you get a few shovels and are told to dig. Initially, you are unable to dig. The map is quite small, populated almost entirely by crabs, which have a chance to drop crab legs. Filling out the map I encountered two NPCs, one who would sell me a shovel for 1000 gold and another who would give me one for 5 crab legs. I later exchanged with them and they immediately disappeared afterwards, much to my disappointment (but that's probably rather more balanced). The centre of the map had two skeleton pirate elites. One of them dropped a treasure map and then the whole map and screen was filled with X's and "Where X marks the spot."

Unearthing can yield in small treasure chests, a shovel, or nothing. I had five shovels before I started digging and by the time I finished, I had opened two, maybe three chests successfully. Hmmm. I'm sure there's plenty more if you're luckier than I!

Filling out more of the map I encountered another Nether Portal, this time more in line with the levels of the dungeons around. So I have no idea what the jig is with them. Perhaps they have a (high?) chance of existing in an overworld map?

Something about that staircase that's just cool. At the top of it?

I just love the enemy design, it's so obvious, but just cool. Not to mention armoured crabs.

I know these last few posts might come off as a bit of a diary, but I figure while I'm playing this, while there's clearly something to discuss, why not eh?
    Last edited by The JG Man; 20-08-2013 at 04:05 AM.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

I might have to jump into this next week, recommend any mods?

I quite enjoyed my dual-wielding embermage, mostly because combined with Wand Chaos it just makes most of the fights kinda hilarious. Poison explosion, lightning and eventually a meteor might drop as well. Great for going up against pretty much anything because of the randomness. Having said that, I also quite enjoyed a melee based one with a staff and the magma mace clearing out the mobs once it got too crowded.

I still prefer the outlander though. He's weak and squishy and things can get frustrating, but as for damage he can dish it like no other. The Rune Backflip and/or Flaming Leap is almost mandatory later on if you actually want to survive, but whether I'm dual-wielding pistols or clearing rooms with my shotgonne it's all good. Also, I've never really focused on getting shadowlings. They just didn't appeal but it sounds like they're fairly useless anyway.

And I love how they added new areas and special dungeons. Free new stuff is always good and this is right up there with the best quality that we can hope to expect from developers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Anyone played any good class mods? I remember having fun with the Paladin and Assassin from the first game.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    Anyone played any good class mods? I remember having fun with the Paladin and Assassin from the first game.
    I have just begun dabbling with the Synergies mod. It has a lot of bonus stuff in it (one of the conglomerate mods that gathers others together). That being said, the Necromancer class is quite fun and having a Ghost as a pet makes me feel cool even if it is mostly a skin.

So more playing of my NG++ and nothing new found, although I have made some discoveries. Some dungeons are limited to NG+ (etc.). That tomb I mentioned, where I found 3 golem souls and then it opened up a portal to a horde-arena? That's one of them. I also discovered that there's a couple of dungeons I have not encountered in what amounts to 4 playthroughs in total. Barmy.

I have also discovered that Runic put in something of an end-game 'challenge', perhaps a more meta one. There are level 105 items. Without using mods, there is no way you can get to minimum required level of use, 101. So, what's the other way?

(By the way, I found another legendary!)

The items require a significant amount of a specific attribute. As the legendary shows, you need only strength. I later picked up a unique (orange) item, part of an Embermage set that was similarly statted: item level 105, level requirement 101, lots of focus needed. So reading around, it turns out that Runic not just added in ultra high-level items, but they added in class sets for that high level to give you something to work towards...

...and it just so happens that I have the unique portal scroll that lets me visit an item set seller who spawns at the level you are, which as the screenshot above highlights is max level for me. Good thing I just hit 1m money, eh?

I will say it's a little disappointing that I've completely missed some side dungeons, but it's not a disappointment with the game; I've said before there's a lot of content and they've added a lot, just the RNG. It'd be nice, I suppose, if there was some sort of system that went "Hey, you've played through the game N times, by attempt N=X, you'll have seen all of them in some assortment." Maybe that takes out of the game a little bit, I dunno?

So I'll just leave you all with this. At first I thought the name was a bit vague considering unique items tend to have something a little more tangible to them, but then I read the flavour text, and, well, you'll quickly see.

Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I have just begun dabbling with the Synergies mod. It has a lot of bonus stuff in it (one of the conglomerate mods that gathers others together). That being said, the Necromancer class is quite fun and having a Ghost as a pet makes me feel cool even if it is mostly a skin.
    There is community class mod pack, many classes, that were approved by synergies community. Some may not work though.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

I finally took TL2 for a whirl, and it seems like a pretty good dungeon crawler. I have a level 18 Engineer, but I'm not sure if I'll really keep playing or not. Borderlands 2 is pretty much my only loot-chasing/leveling game at the moment, but that's because friends are playing it. I don't see much of a point to playing those solo. TL2 may be a fun lunch break diversion when I don't feel like bothering with a match of dota 2, but eh... we'll see.

Regardless, I can see why people enjoy it.

I think that TL2 has a better loot system than BL2, but obviously BL2's is a bit more obvious. As for playing it solo, it can be a nice play-while-listening-to-a-podcast thing, or as something that's not too focused and a bit relaxing. Whatever though, everyone plays differently.

So I downloaded the Synergies mod and I like what it has to offer...sort of. So for me the two big draws were the new class, the Necromancer, and some end-game content. Other stuff was interesting, like remixed enemies throughout the main game and so on, but not the hook. Naturally I started with the Necromancer and being able to take a spirit/spectral pet was a nice touch. As for abilities, looking through I thought "I know, I'll make this a pet class." Plenty of options too, considering you can summon a variety of monsters. I took one spell for myself, a minor AOE that emits from the character, but the stats on it are weak as hell (5 knockback at start? It's not actually noticeable). The minions are also rather weak, even when levelled up a bit. Or maybe it's the mobs.

I was browsing the discussion board for Synergies in the workshop and someone mentioned there's a lot of powercreep, especially with the Necromancer. I can certainly see how late game my summon set-up would work rather well. The problem is the mob powercreep is astounding. "Make it harder!" Sure, okay. I put it on elite too and away we go. Problem is, either elite is out of whack, early Necromancer is out of whack, and/or the mod's mobs are out of whack. The remixed mob system is that there's a ton more elites, both technical ones and ones with green text for their name to denote being stronger than normal, but not actually elite. I like that system actually, as some of those were designed as pack leaders. Makes a lot of sense.

What I didn't like were these bastards.

Now you might be saying "But The JG Man, what's wrong with them?" Let me tell you. There were loads of them on the map, all with the same basic set-up of axe and shield. A SHIELD THAT NEVER FUCKING BREAKS. Ahem. What I mean to say is, after my second fight with one of these, that lasted several minutes long because I was going back and forth hoping my horde of minions would do some damage, I finally went back to the enclave and looked for a weapon that had shield break. I found a crossbow with 25% chance to break shields. Great, I thought. No, I might as well have been flinging a tooth-pick at a shield made out of 4m thick metal. With several thousand hp, I often found their shields would break around the 1K hp mark. Frustrating, to say the least. Standard mob shields would break fine, so I don't know what's up.

I did see there was a sub-mod you could get that changed something about the combat (I think it reduced enemy numbers?) but yeah. I'm left a little deflated because new class, new skills, something different. Instead it was only frustration, like trying to make a battle-mage*. Anyhow, I remembered I copied in all of my pre-existing characters and considering I had a mage at level 100, it was time to explore the end game.

The end-game starts Tabletop Mountain.

There's someone you can talk to that sets it all off and where you go from there is up to you, of sorts. There's various vendors that sell end-game (for different stages of NG+, which is a neat touch), some set items etc. and then all the different kind of enchanters. The fact that all of these NPCs are decked out in high-end gear actually does a good job of making you believe "Ok, I'm here, ready to go." It's something I noticed in playing WoW, where in certain areas they'd really convince you that you're part of an effort, of something bigger. Obviously it's just you, but still.

You're informed that after the Nether conflict, the dragons and their enemies, the trolls, have awoken into combat with each other. There's a path you can follow, Ok'ra Pass, that apparently leads on. I wouldn't know too much as after getting into the entrance, my level 100 mage was met by level 120 mobs that very quickly lead to my demise. Probably fool-hardiness, I imagine I'll give it a go again at some point. Alternatively there are 'raids' (only 1 works currently). I can't tell if these are actually designed for multiple people or that raid = end game, but I delved in. Same thing of level 120 mobs, but there was certainly a difference. Fewer of them, but really quite powerful, with several hundred thousand hp and hard-hitting attacks.

The trick of this dungeon/raid/thing is that there are various portals put across. The problem is, I'm not 100% sure how they're activated. I believe staying around them long enough releases The Key Guardian (all the portals are labelled that you need to kill The Key Guardian to proceed), one of the genies you fight in Act 2. Obviously it can split, meaning you have to take on sometimes 5 or more extremely powerful foes, all with over 1m hp. Made worse is that, on dying early on in this dungeon, I went back to town to save money. This actually resets the dungeon. Nooooot great, really. Anyhow, I did eventually beat one of these guardians which unlocked a portal and in I went.

I've only been in one portal, but from what I can gather reading around, each one contains a different boss for you to kill that has a 'loot table' attached to it. Fortunately a single target boss with 1m hp that is almost melee only is very avoidable with frost phase, prismatic bolt spam and then rinse and repeat. He dropped a stupid amount of loot, including several uniques and I believe one legendary. After using the exit portal, it put me back into raid dungeon (which is called a hub, giving me the impression it was a similar sort of town thing) alas it had reset and I was immediately caught off guard by tons of mobs that killed me. Ho hum. I will probably venture back in there at some point.

After buying new items and enchanting everything, my 1.1m gold evaporated, but don't fear! You can buy a scroll to 'An Abandoned Goldmine' where literally everything gives you gold. Chests? Gold! Rodents that you can walk over? GOLD! Mobs? GOLD!!

Turns out it's endless. After two levels, I'd raked in about 170k. That was enough to know that it existed.

My overall impression of Synergies then - I like its ambition, but its balance is a tad off. Perhaps I'm under-geared, but I waltzed through NG++ on veteran with very little gear change (nothing meaningful, really) and just common sense of capabilities. Necromancer maybe could do with a guide of abilities, like "You need this to take down shielded buggers", in a manner befitting perhaps DCI Gene Hunt. A few tweaks here or there and it'd feel like quite a cool unofficial expansion of sorts, especially when the other included classes, Paladin and Warlock, are completed.