Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Torchlight 2

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Hmm, to survive you need healing bot. 1 point on shieldbreaking skill, since it's 100% chance from start.

Something like that for long run skill wise: Engineer 17/26/16

For now. lvl 5 Healbot, 1 on ember hammer. Tremor is awesome, it's an aoe for almost your whole screen.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Get forcefield. Forcefield is your bread and butter skill for this class. Get healing bot at least to level 5 for the mana buff, but level forcefield every chance you get. Forcefield lets you tank boss enemies to their face. Tremor is an excellent skill, and the shield break, ember hammer. Ember hammer isn't a bad choice to invest a lot of points in, it does a little bit of knockback, and does additional damage for every charge you have but - importantly for keeping your charge for forcefield, it doesn't ever consume any charges. Onslaught is a vital 1 point skill for slowing enemies and also as an escape tool, since you can onslaught OUT of a fight just as well as going in. If you want, a couple of points into dynamo field as well is a good way to make sure you've got a five-charge forcefield as early into fights as possible, since you can put on a level 1 forcefield, run into a mob, and spam dynamo charge til you've maxed out your charges, which happens pretty fast.

Oh, and don't neglect supercharge, heavy lifting, and fire and spark in the passive tree either.

So I've started a game with the Embermage (currently level 19, picture see below) and like it so far. My main damage spell is Prismatic Bolt (PB), which I figured would work well combination with Staff Mastery. Until I found out that Staff Mastery doesn't affect PB... Maybe I'll switch to Shockbolts lateron, which does get the bonus. Nevertheless, I have little trouble blasting through groups of enemies, especially since I am keeping Charge Mastery on the highest level possible for my current level.

Additionally, one point in Elemental Attunement (maybe more at a later point) and Frozen Fate (20% chance to freeze is great for just one point invested) allow for some extra crowd control and damage. Finally, I've put a point into Frost Phase for obvious reasons. This spell works perfectly in conjunction with PB and Charge. Often I am able to get close to maximum Charge before entering or at the beginning of a dungeon and then teleport straight through the mobs towards the bigger groups which are then quickly obliterated, in turn allowing me to refill the Charge meter.

Might give other classes a try as well, but right now I love the quick and easy gameplay the Embermage brings to the table.

The armor looks a bit silly to be honest, but that's due to the Clovenhoof set I am wearing. The cast speed and extra potion effectiveness are really nice but I can see myself switching parts of my gear soon. The set mechanic is something I already liked in Diablo 2 (where gathering parts was much harder than here) but the items only have limited use past a certain level range since losing just one the bonuses usually means that the individual parts are not as good as other stuff you might find.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, in terms of stat spread and so on, embermage is pretty simple. Focus focus focus focus maybe a point in vit. It's a really fun class to just take whatever spells strike your fancy on, since by and large they're all good. And frost phase is the most fun spell in the game. That said, my favourite class is the outlander. Something about the glaive just really appeals to me, and poison damage rarely gets love in videogames, it's almost always the weakest sort of elemental damage.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Unfortunately Prismatic Bolts is incredibly over-powered. At high levels, it obliterates enemies due to its high percentage chance of effects; each bolt has a 24% chance to inflict each status ailment. Put a point into the elemental brands and you further boost its ridiculous power. I think the only downside is that a creature that's resistant to one of the elements will reduce the effectiveness of the whole spell...but not the status ailment chances. Whilst I could certainly envisage playing an elementally themed mage, if you're playing a stereotypical mage role, PB is almost necessary.

As for staying alive as a mage, you can probably last the standard game with a stave, but I can guarantee you anything past level 60ish and you'll want a shield permanently equipped. The mage doesn't have too many innate skills that keep it alive. Frost phase can get you out of trouble, but not always, whilst Death's Bounty is the only real method you have of assuredly getting topped up with health. The problem there is that the bigger the enemy, the less effective Death's Bounty is because you won't be getting the health and mana benefits.

So I'm carrying on with my battle-mage and the issue at hand is survivability. I have none. Despite picking up Frost Phase and having a chunky, unique polearm, I neither have the health, the defences, the overwhelming alpha-strike or the regen to stay up for long. Not uncommon for me to jump into battle, die very quickly, come back from town and die in the same place under a minute later. I suspect my weapon is lagging behind my level now and obviously, as most of the melee skills are weapon dps dependent, boosting strength will only get you so far. I eagerly await getting Death's Bounty to sure me up.

Also, Shocking Burst is indeed excellent, however the mana required to keep it up doesn't fit in too well with a focus-lite build. Seeing enemies chain explode is as satisfying as expected, however.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My main is an embermage with a bit of a weather theme. Ice Bolts for charge and control, Ice Storm (names may not be correct) for control and area damage and Thunder Locus for damage and damage. Since I also have the necessary Frost Phase and Death's Bounty it results in a very active playstyle. When everything comes together Frost Brand gives it heaps of damage. It works somewhat poorly against fast enemies and bosses which move around a lot. There's a lot of teleporting to drag them back over my Locus.

After getting a bit bored of my Embermage (not sooner than Act 2) I figured I should try another class and more or less randomly selected the Engineer. It's a lot of fun to play (currently somewhere in the middle of Act 2 on Normal) and I am genuinely surprised how effective putting just one point in certain skills is. My current setup is Flame Hammer (1 point), Seismic Slam (1 point), Ember Hammer (1 point), Heavy Lifting (current max), Supercharge (1 point), Coup de Grace (1 point), Healing Bot (1 point), Bulwark (current max), Charge Domination (1 point), Aegis of Fate (1 point), Charge Reconstitution (1 point). Even at low percentages Supercharge, Charge Domination and Aegis of Fate are pretty effective tools. Especially Aegis seems like a good 1 point investment, the percentage increase isn't that big and you get the full benefit right from the start. Which also scales with your equipment.

I've read some of the recommendations above after getting this far and they mostly overlap with my experiences. I'll probably level one of the damage increasing skills lateron but right now I feel there is no need for this at all. At level 26 I find that most mobs go down pretty quickly, although the enemies begin to get tougher (working my way through the Meet the Djinni quest atm).

Still trying to work out a key setup that allows me to manage my skills efficiently, it bothers me a bit that I cannot use my mousewheel to quickly scroll through my active skills. To circumvent this, I have set my Healing Bot to 5 so that I can just activate it when entering a zone, healing pots at 1 and 2 (and of course the "best available" panic buttons), Ember Hammer on 3 (only needed for shielded enemies and then once is enough), pet enhancements from 6-9 (do these actually make a meaningful difference?) and then Flame Hammer and Seismic Slam on the right click.

My usual approach to a fight currently is to get a SS off followed by a swing or two (Coup de Grace is nice for this) and then just spam Flame Hammer a couple of times. I can see some use in Force Field and Dynamo Field but in general I try to keep the Force eating skills at a minimum.

Another thing I am pondering at the moment is if I should switch difficulty levels. By no means I would call myself very good at this game (is that even possible in a PvE ARPG?) but since I currently seem to be rolling through everything (even with skipping overworld mobs) I might give Veteran a try soon. Screenshot of my character below, I'll have to get her a new weapon soon. :) Oh and the stat increases some items provide are insane. My boots give me +15 to Focus and some extra Vitality (which is the biggest obstacle for me regarding item requirements - btw I find the "either level or stat" approach a brilliant idea).

Last edited by Squiz; 15-09-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Another thing I am pondering at the moment is if I should switch difficulty levels. By no means I would call myself very good at this game (is that even possible in a PvE ARPG?) but since I currently seem to be rolling through everything (even with skipping overworld mobs) I might give Veteran a try soon.
    I've played all my characters on Veteran difficulty and made it to level 100 and NG+++ with my berserker and the difficulty mostly feels about right. At higher levels you will need to pay a bit more attention to how you build and gear yourself and investing time and gold in gems and enchants becomes much more important. Traps and ground effects become actually lethal and there are a few places where enemies do silly amounts of damage which can feel a little unfair. I can still get away with dual wielding and using some gold finding gear and haven't had to start cowering behind a shield or grinding for specific gems, which is what I gather the people playing on elite hardcore mode are reduced to.

Speaking of melee embermages and insane stat increases, this is what happens when you abuse enchanting and give your lvl 39 embermage level 100 legendary weapons.

On the skill layout.
    I use 8 and 9 for my health and mana potions only to know the count I have. 0 For telport. 6 and 7 for fishes.
    1-5 for skills by their ussage.
    Tab for weapon switching, E for skill switching. Q and W for "Use the best potion" (health for Q and mana for W)
    Shift+Q/W for pets healing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My Embermage, posted here because at this point, none of her armour pieces match any of the others. She looks delightfully awful.

2013-09-15_00001.jpg

I love my Time Fork, though. Great wand. I can't have enough controls.
    Last edited by arathain; 16-09-2013 at 04:35 AM.

Looks fine to me, arathain. :D

I am nearing the end of my first playthrough, I guess (spoiler: I've defeated the Alchemist but had to quit the game at the final boss because it was getting late and the guy would have taken ages to take down /spoiler). Skipping some of the more boring trash mob fights obviously means that I have missed out on some levels, which isn't a huge deal most of the time. With bosses however it quickly became apparent that I was either lacking in the tanking or damage department, especially since the majority of the bigger bosses is resistant to stuns which are one of my main damage sources/requirements.

In the end I had to put one point into Spider Mines to get some easy to aim ranged damage. So I basically cheesed some of the boss fights but really, I couldn't be arsed to grind levels for my character. On the plus side, being ~10 levels below the boss led to some fun and challenging fights.

By the way, this baby is what brought me through the rest of the game starting shortly before the Act 2 end boss. The game certainly gets its loot right, I am still getting excited about the odd "mysterious" drop. :)

Edit: And done! Finished off the bad guy, first playthrough completed. :) Current character level is 37, let's see what the NG+ brings. Warning, spoiler-y images.
    Last edited by Squiz; 16-09-2013 at 08:11 AM.

The place I cracked, was about after middle of act III. Berserker is best at skiping content ^^

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Someone was asking whether the fish actually did anything much for your pet. There's a mod that I use (I forget which one- I can look it up when I'm at home) which gives you tooltips for all fish, so you can check for yourself. My embermage above has hers as a spider permanently, and I'd be loath to give that up, since it spits out immobilising webs in fights. More control, see. Naturally, it has that frost bolt spell, because did I mention I like a lot of control?

There's a purpose to all the obsession with making monsters not able to do much, since I need a couple of seconds set up time before I can really go to town, and I need to strongly mitigate that vulnerable time, as well as maximising time next to Thunder Locus.

One of the interesting things about the build is that I need to do a bunch of things- apply the ice storm, apply frost bolts, drop my locus, drop Death's Bounty, and optionally throw in a couple of self buffs, while telepoting about as necessary. The monster design is strong enough that each encounter is sufficiently different that the optimal order is frequently different too, and working out what that is on the fly is tense and enjoyable.

Thanks for the info about the pets, I'll probably pick up that mod as well. Love the mod support by the way, easy to handle and you really feel that it had been part of the design process of the game and not a mere afterthought.

Personal spells is another aspect I just recently found out about. I've mostly used Heal Self and Dervish (increased attack speed is lovely on a 2H weapon with good on-hit effects) but might look into other options. It's an interesting mechanic, especially since it opens up several additional playstyle choices for the different classes.

Arathain, from your description I take that you have found a certain "setup" or angle at which you approach encounters. I have observed a similar effect while playing my Engineer just with a totally different result. Usually I bait mobs by running past them with Static Shield activated. I then perform a 3/4 circle around the group to bunch them up and hit Seismic Slam followed by auto-attacks, which will trigger Coup de Grace (currently with a strength multiplicator of around 7, lovely with a high strength main stat). Finally Flame Hammer to finish things off. These little strategies make playing around with builds really fun and exiting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I get a little annoyed when good ARPGs get dismissed as pointless click-fests, as if they were some kind of Facebook game with monsters and fancy graphics. Even aside from the thought and judgement that goes into a good build, both D3 and TL2 often have very active playstyles, in which movement and deployment of skills have to be performed with some skill, or you're dying often.

I'm not claiming these are difficult, execution heavy games, but don't dismiss them out of hand. Playing them is engaging in and of itself.

So, started a new game on Veteran with the Outlander. I am going with a melee focussed build meaning that I've set myself the rule/challenge not to use any ranged weapons or attacks. Curses are allowed, as will be Bramble Wall but I won't touch the Glaive or any non-melee source of damage for myself.

So far it is a lot fun. For quite some time my weapon of choice was a polearm. A central tactic I employ is baiting big guys into attacking, then retreating out of their melee range quickly just to dart in again for a hit or two while my pet acts as a distraction.

Skillpoints will probably go into the curses, Shadow Mantle, maybe a few single points into the different summoning skills. Dodge Mastery will be left at zero, as I've read somewhere that chance to dodge maxes out at 75% which I will probably achieve via Dex, items and Force bonuses. Still undecided about the general stat spread, I will try to keep Focus low and invest most points into Str and Vit. Dex will most likely end up around the 100 point mark.

Squirrel, was your engi playthrough on veteran? And also, why no glaive? There is perfect melee glaive skill just at lvl 14 (3 if you play synergies).

Lesser Hivemind Node karaquazian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    So, started a new game on Veteran with the Outlander. I am going with a melee focussed build meaning that I've set myself the rule/challenge not to use any ranged weapons or attacks. Curses are allowed, as will be Bramble Wall but I won't touch the Glaive or any non-melee source of damage for myself.

So far it is a lot fun. For quite some time my weapon of choice was a polearm. A central tactic I employ is baiting big guys into attacking, then retreating out of their melee range quickly just to dart in again for a hit or two while my pet acts as a distraction.

Skillpoints will probably go into the curses, Shadow Mantle, maybe a few single points into the different summoning skills. Dodge Mastery will be left at zero, as I've read somewhere that chance to dodge maxes out at 75% which I will probably achieve via Dex, items and Force bonuses. Still undecided about the general stat spread, I will try to keep Focus low and invest most points into Str and Vit. Dex will most likely end up around the 100 point mark.
    Good luck

You might find it hard going though, outlander seems the most pigeon holed class to me, I've never managed to get one to work well without either a poison or ranged based or both build. It's also the hardest stat wise, as the gear is very dex driven, but what they really need is focus and or str, bezerker being the true dex class. Also pet / army builds seem weak compared to the other 3. It's definetly the hardest class to play with its combination of needing all 4 stats and poison being the only real choice elemental damage wise. The ground based curses are good though and the class shines in group play

Ok, so NG+ on my Outlander, Act 2, first area:

You know what's killing me about this? I found 2 boss golems walking about the wastes and they each dropped a soul which I could add to the Lordvessel, I mean, "Soul Basin". But I've scoured the area and there isn't a 3rd, nevermind a 4th. It's infuriating! Goddamn Dark Souls easter egg and I can't even get it to work!

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karaquazian View Post
    Good luck

You might find it hard going though, outlander seems the most pigeon holed class to me, I've never managed to get one to work well without either a poison or ranged based or both build. It's also the hardest stat wise, as the gear is very dex driven, but what they really need is focus and or str, bezerker being the true dex class. Also pet / army builds seem weak compared to the other 3. It's definetly the hardest class to play with its combination of needing all 4 stats and poison being the only real choice elemental damage wise. The ground based curses are good though and the class shines in group play
    Agreed that the Outlander is the weakest class overall. My problem is that they nerfed some of the ranged stuff from TL1 (like the ricochet shot) but didn't really add anything to compensate for it. The pets are a good example: bats which spawn from ranged attack kills, or ghouls which spawn from kills from a short-ranged AoE, DoT skill. They both benefit from the same passive, but good luck making good use of both of them! There are also far fewer synergies to exploit.

I'd say the "best" classes in terms of getting a workable build are, in order, Embermage, Berserker, Engineer, and Outlander. The Embermage gets points for being able to mix and match actives and passives from all three skill sets to great and obvious effect, the Berserker functions extremely well if you focus on just one of the trees, the Engineer is more of a mixed bag with ill-defined parameters for each skill tree, while the Outlander almost defies attempts at efficient build construction.