Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Torchlight 2

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    It would be very odd if they did. That isn't standard practice amongst any beta I've ever heard of.
    Tribes Ascend beta files went over to full release. But I don't think it's a good idea to do that. I don't think skills would be the same anyways.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    It would be very odd if they did. That isn't standard practice amongst any beta I've ever heard of.
    It's pretty standard practice for F2P open betas as they are usually eager to get people using their cash shops. For non-F2P games, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    What other games? Skyrim, maybe? I've yet to come across any part of the overworld I could say was closed in. I've only came across like four tight pathways and they're more valleys to open up into the bigger overworld.
    Diablo 2/3 immediately come to mind as having more open areas. It isn't a major issue at all, just something I noticed while playing.

Go play the original again.
    No thanks.

Saying that its generic because they improve logical things doesn't make any sense. The stat system is significantly more complex than most hack'n'slash games.

You have to think that every stat is useful for (pretty much) every class. THAT'S why it's a good system.
    I said it's generic because it's a fairly generic system unlike PoE's. You level up, you get 5 stat points to distribute to 4 different stats. There's nothing wrong with it though I was hoping for something a bit more creative.

You seriously have nostalgia goggles on.
    Not at all, actually. I'm looking at TL1 screenshots and a lot of them look pretty similar (if not better) than TL2. Even if the graphics aren't worse, they certainly aren't any better.

-----------

TL2 is far from being a bad game, I just don't think it's deserving of all of the hype it's getting. For a game that many people are claiming is better than Diablo 3 (which is now my favorite ARPG) I was expecting something a bit more unique. If there are a ton of new features in TL2 then apparently they aren't big enough for me to notice them.
    Last edited by elfbarf; 21-05-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elfbarf View Post
    TL2 is far from being a bad game, I just don't think it's deserving of all of the hype it's getting. For a game that many people are claiming is better than Diablo 3 (which is now my favorite ARPG) I was expecting something a bit more unique. If there are a ton of new features in TL2 then apparently they aren't big enough for me to notice them.
    Torchlight 2 is a game of similar quality (visual style in both helps comparisons) produced by a smaller studio in a fraction of time. It has little marketing, so whatever hype it gets comes mostly from word of mouth. People like TL2 for what it is. TL2 doesn't need D3 to be bad, it's good enough by itself.

Diablo 3 has huge marketing, cinematics, and a very hyped developer. It is hyped largely because of huge marketing and because of what Blizzard/Diablo was. Popularity of D3 is based on past reputation of Blizzard and inertia.

If you told me Diablo 3 was made in the same time as TL2, or even one year more, I would have believed. The gap in quality is rapidly getting smaller. I can imagine next game of Runic having better production values than next Blizzard game.

Played a decent chunk with the engineer now, he is pretty godlike with that medic bot. Easy to crowd control which is obviously his niche. The turret made the bosses super easy and using a massive cannon all the time is a lot of fun. Would enjoy using him for co-op and being the tank that heals everyone with massive knockback.

I was unsure/unimpressed with the stat points and still am a little bit, it almost feels like you want to raise most of them with most of the classes barring the embermage. A bit more definition of the roles of each stat would be nice. The other consideration is that specializing in certain stats grants you access to certain armors earlier, but there is still some refining they could do to them. On skills though I quite like the setup and looking at the half list they have can see some nice ideas for solo and co-op builds to try out. I hope they have a respec man in each hub with a midpoint level cap on resetting your skills, so you can keep mixing it up and tailor to the happenings.

Another thing I didn't get was limiting the akimbo skill to much higher levels for the outlander when you rock 2 pistols from the get go, hopefully they introduce it earlier and put a restriction on maxing it early so you can reap a couple of those rewards a bit quicker. I was going 30-40 shots without a 2-handed attack with pretty high focus and dex. Generally had a hard time later on solo with the outlander too, the final boss wound up baseraping me to the point I was just spawning and opening fire until he landed an attack, pretty cheeky he made it onto the other platform tbh.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Why does every conversation involving a new game in this genre have to turn so staunchly partisan? Is it really interesting to keep having the same (actually pointless) arguments?

Diablo 2/3 immediately come to mind as having more open areas. It isn't a major issue at all, just something I noticed while playing.
    Diablo 2 was as to me was D3 beta barren enemy wise and not in my opinion was way bigger if not equal size zones like TL2 hub zones. Tl2 seems to have a passage zone with mini quest dungeon, then hub zone with with few quests and dungeons in that bigger zone. Least Beta wise.

I said it's generic because it's a fairly generic system unlike PoE's. You level up, you get 5 stat points to distribute to 4 different stats. There's nothing wrong with it though I was hoping for something a bit more creative.
    Why do you need to create something, that can be fixed and perfected more to customize easier. PoE has interesting mastery tree, but I wouldn't say it's very creative, but it's wrong to say by me, it's not creative, just I'm not appealed with mastery web due to it's intimidating size. Also being bigger visual variability doesn't mean it has practical variability.

Not at all, actually. I'm looking at TL1 screenshots and a lot of them look pretty similar (if not better) than TL2. Even if the graphics aren't worse, they certainly aren't any better.
    Did you play TL2 at all to see graphics? With recent experience reading bashing of Guild Wars 2 graphics, I lost faith of common folk to understand what's graphics all about and can't see difference if a game is cartooney, it dismissed as bad graphic, "nice" artstyle sometimes.

Well I don't think D3 deserves much praise it gets either, since for me it lacks feeling of massacre I got from D2. I don't care about skill system, always online stuff, I just think game is in all case slower. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just too different pace of combat for different people. It also may be fault of me not playing original D2:LoD in last year and half, but instead playing it with MedianXL mod, which is absolutely nuts.
    Now I'm not able to play after beta stuff, to evaluate better, but paying to try demo is not my thing and I can't say, whether they fixed that issue, that I had in beta, but I'm also on even grounds where I didn't play full released D3 and compare it to TL2 BETA. To me, TL2 unlike D3 doesn't go on superficial polishing and looks of the game, but it works on the entirely on feeling of the game. If I might go with car comparison from Top Gear view: TL2 is Dodge Viper and D3 is Mercedes (any fast and comfortable). Second one is fast, comfotable and good looking giving you sense of speed and safety, while Dogde tries to kill you on each second in high speeds (speed=difficulty, to me) but also gives you a ride of your life.

P.s. I hate writing so much, cause it only causes more confusion. In short from what I played and heard about D3, it doesn't promise me what I would want or enjoy. From what I played and didn't hear about TL2 (I'm really bad at being interested in stuff) I believe this game will deliver me hours of joy.
    P.p.s. I all ready like main villain in TL2 more than Diablo. Diablo to me became so generic, whereas delusional scientist with fucked up vision how to save not only himself from disease is way more interesting, though I bet, that Odrok will be main evil boss again and all will finish in Torchlight again.
    Last edited by Bankrotas; 21-05-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Network Hub
    Outlander seems pretty cool so far from what I am playing of it. Maybe will try out Berserker, but a friend of mine who tried that class wasn't very impressed with it. Hmm. Also this game's random generation is actually pretty good, I'm still seeing things throughout my tryings of classes that I hadn't seen before, like random quests for instance.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicolor View Post
    Outlander seems pretty cool so far from what I am playing of it. Maybe will try out Berserker, but a friend of mine who tried that class wasn't very impressed with it. Hmm. Also this game's random generation is actually pretty good, I'm still seeing things throughout my tryings of classes that I hadn't seen before, like random quests for instance.
    Yeah I've yet to find a class that feels as overall overpowered as the engineer, but the berserker is as far from that as you get. Squishy as hell, but with no choice but to enter into melee, fumbling means you've got a good chance that an entire flurry of blows will do a colossal no damage whatsoever, bosses absolutely annihilate you... Sometimes the berserker just -works- and it feels great. Most of the time it's just potion spam and death, imo. Outlander at least kites damage well and I found a few points invested into a decent knockback ability really evens the odds. Engineer is just without flaw though. Not squishy, great AoE damage, summons, support abilities... really just so good that it's not actually fun.

Jeez, ppl, put a point in Savage rush, pop health and mana potion, run around like crazy putting dots and healing yourself at the same time...

Network Hub

Banned
    In D2/3, those areas are open and completely and utterly barren. Diablo 3 has a very linear progression through the zones, there's little paths off the beaten track, but they're nothing major or worthwhile, and it's a bad idea to do side dungeons because they're boring as fuck and make you outlevel the content.

I wouldn't even say that Torchlight 2's zones are more enclosed, but if you think they are, whatever. You can't deny that TL2's side dungeons are 1000% better than D3's, though.

No thanks.
    Trust me, combat in TL2 is much faster paced.

99% of Path of Exile's character customisation is it's passive tree.

Torchlight 1
    Torchlight 2

Just no.

Torchlight was released during the long-time absence of Diablo 3, so people just call it a Diablo clone and the comparison is inevitable. It's really hard to tell which one is better, but just enjoy the games. Also, Torchlight 2 is still at its beta stage, I will wait for its full release.
    City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork marvels, and ancient evils. Visit City of Steam on Facebook for screenshots, dev diaries, and news updates!

Obscure Node
    Well so far i'd say it's a rather successful beta, at least on making me pre-order it. At 15 or 45 for 4 copies i can't really see any reason not to get hold of it, whatever your prior disposition.

You are a bit unkillable on normal difficulty but stepping up to veteran i found the perfect balance in risk/reward for the combat. As for classes/specs, the Outlander seems to be rather strong and a lot of fun once i got hold of a good pair of pistols. The Embermage quickly became stupidly powerful, even on vet, speced to fire, but on frost struggled later (possibly because there's a fair bit of frost resist in the 2nd hub area). Berserker was an odd one. Possibly the way i was building him but i was either an unstoppable killing machine or a wimpy run-away wimp. Still to try Engineer but grouping with some has been quite fun.

Anyway, loving it so far. The beta teased just the right amount of content to make it very re-playable (the randomised world zones helped massively) to the point i'm starting a 5th character and still not bored of it yet.

Network Hub
    I tried out berserker and thought it was rad, might be the most fun class next to engi yet. I also am really liking how quest items don't take up a spot in your inventory anymore.

Obscure Node
    is there any confirmation of the number of players in co-op?
    i guess with selling a 4 -pack there's the presumption that it will be at least 4...
    i've read somewhere its between 2 and 8 but nothing has been confirmed.... i'll be mightily disappointed if its less than 4 players... i'm anticipating some nice lan sessions with this and already pre-ordered the 4 pack :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dog View Post
    is there any confirmation of the number of players in co-op?
    i guess with selling a 4 -pack there's the presumption that it will be at least 4...
    i've read somewhere its between 2 and 8 but nothing has been confirmed.... i'll be mightily disappointed if its less than 4 players... i'm anticipating some nice lan sessions with this and already pre-ordered the 4 pack :)
    Dunno about LAN sessions, but the beta allows online play for up to 6 players in the same game.

Obscure Node
    I remember reading 6-8 for the standard release, but they have said there's no technical cap, so mods will be able to add up however many the engine/network infrastructure can take.

Is there any word on late game respecing? Cos if there's one thing that can be annoying it's that one wrong point in an ability which you never use.

I guess first 2 mods will be, potions of repsecing and even higher difficulty level.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Played through the beta with all 4 classes now, all good fun and the improvements from TL1 as well as the fact that there's just more of everything makes me really look forward to the full release.

Berserker is sort of fun but I found a nigh unwinnable fight very early on. All of the champions seem a bit like unfair fights. They seem to be immune to any sort of stun/knockback/slowdown/debuff/whatever, move fast as fuck, and hit like trucks. Since the berserker needs to get close to hurt them, and isn't hugely resilient herself... Add to that the aura the champion emits that empowers all nearby mooks, and I got absolutely fried 3 seconds into a dungeon. Not fun.
    I found the berserker very squishy early on (veteran mode), but once I put some points into the skill that heals you on crits and got the leap skill (sorry, can't remember the names) that also heals you it got a lot better. At higher levels and with better equipment you'll build up your rage bar so fast that you'll almost constantly get crit streaks and heal yourself faster than enemies can damage you. Combined with the ability to quickly leap away and drink a potion if things get hairy it really isn't bad at all.

The engineer seems nearly invincible though, especially if you put some points into the damage shields. Perhaps the other classes get better defensive skills later on, but in the beta it seems the engineer is by far the most powerful class.