Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Torchlight 2

Heh, no worries. I fear I won't have much time to play these next 2 weeks, which kinda sucks, but I'll be happy to co-op as much as I can.

Just finished preloading and now I find out that I have to work the rest of the evening. At least I have the soundtrack.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    I just wanted the game so badly that steam threw a io error and now i have to reinstall.

Yeah the pre-load messed it up for me I think. It wouldn't unlock, it would say it was 92% finished and never moved past that. So I am reinstalling now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Works fine to me. Need to learn anew, what I would really like. Since berserker feeling doesn't come, but Engi feels way better.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Game is working great, but looks like the Runic website is down, so I can't set up an account.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    Game is working great, but looks like the Runic website is down, so I can't set up an account.
    You had literally weeks to do it :P

Obscure Node
    Has anyone else got a problem where the launch update seems to have failed?

Mine is stuck paused at 92%, and every time I try to make it continue I get an ''Disk IO failure'' error.

I beginning to think I might need to delete local content and redownload, but that a bit of a troll.

Haha, did you read my post?

Yes, just uninstall and re-download the game.

Network Hub
    Preloading finished without issues for me this evening, and the game works great. Playing single-player atm but I'll join in with RPS once I fiddle around a bit.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Can someone suggest a class?
    Looking for something that is satisfying to play with a good learning curve, I don't care for repetitive cookie cutter button mashing or just big numbers.

Not a fan of pet style classes either unless the minion mechanics are good and I'm not just mashing f1-f2 to control the pet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Can someone suggest a class?
    Looking for something that is satisfying to play with a good learning curve, I don't care for repetitive cookie cutter button mashing or just big numbers.

Not a fan of pet style classes either unless the minion mechanics are good and I'm not just mashing f1-f2 to control the pet.
    engineer is hugely satisfying to play. You tote around a cannon or hammer and your 'pets' are just automatic buff-bots or spider-mines.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    engineer is hugely satisfying to play. You tote around a cannon or hammer and your 'pets' are just automatic buff-bots or spider-mines.
    thanks, I'll give it a go.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Played the demo. I like the speed and the pretty colours. The combat is unsatisfying, it completely lacks punch. I enjoy watching numbers grow so I guess I can get over the weak combat. Hopefully the loot won't be as bad as Kingdom of Amalur's, where everything is special so nothing actually is. I'm glad the plot can be ignored, all I paid attention to was the bold text in quest descriptions.
    It made me crave some Diablo 3 action, where the combat is actually entertaining. Will buy during the winter sale.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Beh, this doesn't compare well to borderlands 2...

You get the exact same things out of the latter (seriously) and the gameplay of that is actually worth bothering with.

I liked torchlight 1 at the time (it was servicable) but there is just no point dealing with archaic bad controls stemming from the top down perspective and mind numbingly shallow gameplay and clickclickclickclickclick nature of the game anymore.

Gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> chasing carrots and these days you can have both.

Everything about the genre feels so archaic now (in the worst possible way).
    And this comes from someone who thinks almost all change in gaming in the past 10 years has been for the worse.

The game still compares really favorably to diablo 3 though, ahwell only 15 euros and they at least support LAN play, mod tools etc which earns them some money.

Don't listen to Negative Nancys, the game is awesome. It's also 7am and I should go to bed with around 9h played.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quite. Not sure what the negative commenters were expecting from this, but it very much is an ARPG refined to the very core.

Only played briefly last night, as I was hoping to play co-op with a bud, but neither of us had a Runic account and we couldn't get LAN mode to work over Himatchi. Not played D3, but the combat felt pretty great to me. There are umpteen enemies to squish and they pop on a satisfying shower of gibs. Level-ups come thick and fast, only out paced by the loot. In the 30-40 mins I've played, I have levelled to level 6 and already had many "this skill/weapon is awesome!" moments. They also seem to have made some really great passive skills, at least for the Embermage.

The only slight concern I have is that things seem a little easy, as it was in the original. This could just be because I am still very early on, but I have already found the charge mechanic to be quite op. As an Embermage at Veteran, it allows you to not consume mana whilst it is full and with so many enemies it is not hard to get it charged up. I was able to really spam my spells with zero penalty for a large amount of time, something that is only going to get more pronounced as the hordes increase in size further into the game.

As I say, this might just be because I am at the start of the game, but I can't see the charge mechanic getting less powerful, only moreso. The Wot I Think on here said it was quite a bit harder then the original though, so expect it will be fine.

Obscure Node
    Yes, I also have to say that this game is really awesome. I watched my friend play it on his PC and I was really envious.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Seconded, big hammers are a joy with a side dish of cannons. :) Though, I certainly did enjoy the outlander during the beta, they have some really nice skills. I'm enjoying the game immensely so far. Saying that, I do have two rather small complaints.

1. I wish that when I shift-click on something in my inventory to transfer it to the pet, the pet inventory wouldn't open. Maybe that can be changed somewhere.

2. This is rather general, and applies to almost every game ever, but it also applies here. I wish the boss fights weren't there. bosses are just very large enemies with huge amounts of hp and a special attack or two. For me at least, the regular champions are more fun. But as I said, it's like that in every game.

edit: As I already started writing, might as well. One small thing that I like, aside from the polish that is visible in every aspect of the game, is the fact that set items are relatively common giving you an actual chance to complete a set during a playthrough.
    Last edited by mrki; 21-09-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Network Hub
    I only managed to put in a few hours last night due to work, but i'm not enjoying it so much as the first. I've got to level 14, but I think it's the class more than the game. I'm trying out the embermage and everything seems so slow and weak.

I played the destroyer in the first game and had a great time charging in to combat and just cleaving everything, it felt so much more satisying than the embermage, so I guess it's time to give the berserker a try.