Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar

| Martial Arts |

“The martial arts are ultimately self-knowledge. A punch or a kick is not to knock the hell out of the guy in front, but to knock the hell out of your ego, your fear, or your hang-ups.”

Since time began, every culture has developed fighting styles out of necessity. Many people consider Asia to be the center of the martial arts world—though it is not necessarily the birthplace of all the arts. Did martial arts originate from China, India or Greece? Or have they risen independently? How did they spread? Many arts have come and gone. Recent efforts hinged on nationalism are bringing back lost martial arts, especially in Europe (But you know China,in their words they invented everything..).

In general,thread about martial arts. What ones do you like,are training or have trained,all here in Martial arts thread.

I have trained so far kickbox for a year and half,then some boxing for short period of time,then several years passed and somehow i did nothing. Last year mate and me started hitting gym,so far good progress but its like i'm lacking something and that answer is BJJ,had chance to see this in action and i think i'm in love.

"Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ), also known as Gracie Jiu-Jitsu (GJJ), is a martial art that was developed in Brazil by the Gracie family during the mid-20th century. Originally based on the Japanese Martial art of Judo as it existed before World War II, it has since developed into a relatively independent system with a large emphasis on ground fighting and grappling."

Did you watch gorizia's fight night?
    post in progress

I used to train in Krav Maga, which was originally Israeli based, and which is supposed to be more "practical" than a lot of other martial arts i.e. it is intended primarily to be a self defence system for "real life" situations, with no competitive element. I found it to be pretty good, but fortunately have never yet had to apply it in anger, so couldn't vouch for whether it works or not, although everything they teach seems sensible. Talking to a mate who trained in Ju Jitsu (not BJJ), a lot of things they taught sounded similar to Krav.

As with any martial art there are various schools or styles and you have to make your own mind up on which is the best. I went through this lot.

Sadly, my working hours started interfering with Krav classes and so now I don't attend any more, but I wouldn't mind taking it up again if I found somewhere that taught at times that suited me better. At the very least it was a good workout, and practising tackling attackers who were armed with batons, knives or guns was fun, but what I took away from that was that unless you're a real pro you're pretty much screwed if someone comes at you with a blade or gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    Did you watch gorizia's fight night?

No mate,was working till midnight.. Was the fight good,where did you watch it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Maritz View Post
    I used to train in Krav Maga

This is the reply i was hoping this thread will get,cheers! About Krav Maga,its one of the most brutal martial art but not after only few years like in other arts,like muay thai or box etc. To be effective you really need to stick with it for a long period of time.

Also noticing only 35 views and only two replies,its a shame but afterall this is mainly game forum hehe.
    Last edited by DaftPunk; 05-07-2014 at 03:06 PM.

I have seen Man Of Tai Chi, its a classic good vs evil tale, great fight scenes, I recommend any martial arts fan to go watch it, theres no fantasy or somesuch involved, just pure skill. Maybe some movie magic, but nothing more.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Not familiar with Tai Chi,i only know its martial art about reflecting the opponents attacks right ? Somehow doesn't look very realistic. Hard to think of any realistic fight scenes in movies,only ones which come to my minds is knife scene in Eastern Promises and hallway fight in original Old Boy.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    No mate,was working till midnight.. Was the fight good,where did you watch it ?
    Nha it was late and I didn't care much tbh.
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar

This video (Warning: obligatory terrible music) highlights some of my favorite Krav Maga techniques, such as the "Downwards glass table smash" and the extremly difficult טקטי בריק סלאם or "Tactical Brick Slam".

Regarding BJJ, the Simpons once made a good point about it's applicability.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 05-07-2014 at 03:38 PM.

There are moves where you can the fight to the ground,called takedowns.

The first thing we were taught about ground fighting was try to get back to a standing position as soon as possible!

Quote Originally Posted by Maritz View Post
    The first thing we were taught about ground fighting was try to get back to a standing position as soon as possible!

What martial art ?

Krav Maga, like I was talking about further up the thread. Yes they taught some ground fighting but it all seemed to have the ultimate objective of being able to get back to standing again. Even if you have your opponent pinned down he or she may have friends who are going to come along and kick you in the head etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Also noticing only 35 views and only two replies,its a shame but afterall this is mainly game forum hehe.
    Not much I can contribute really, I'm a natural runner, so thats what I do ;). Why bother fighting if you can get out quicker anyway!
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Sure sure,krav maga is not made for ground combat but quick neutralization of enemy.

Found this little fellow,crazy skills. Lightweight champion btw,also kinda crazy,several times he broke limbs of opponents but hey they should tap next time..

@Pepper,

Believe me mate,i haven't fight not even once outside on streets even if i had some training in some martial arts. Otherwise i'm also a runner,but more of a sprinter :P Need to maintain those sexy muscles haha :v