Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar

Let's talk all things sport

Well frankly I just want an excuse to post the Cisse goal against Chelsea from earlier tonight, which is one if the most beautiful goals you will see in your life. Astonishing stuff.

Looks like Chelsea will need to win the Champion's League to qualify for it next season. Shame Newcastle have a super tough run in and Tottenham an easy one as I think Spurs will just about edge 4th place but I reckon Newcastle deserve it more (plus if they don't get it I fear they may lose some of their top players).

In other sport I've been enjoying watching the snooker World Championships as usual. Bit of a shame that Hendry was outplayed by Maguire, I'd been hoping he would go out of the game on a high with an 8th title but at least he got one more Crucible 147 un before he retired (and a magnificent break it was too). Judging by the quarters it looks like Ronnie is in ominous form. i've never been a big fan of him but I absolutely love watching him in full flow and he certainly was in the latter stages against Robertson.

So anyone else got anything to say about the wonderful world of sport? Has Bradley Wiggins shown he's got a decent chance at the Tour De France this year given his victories so far this year? Who do you fancy in the upcoming Tennis French Open (hint - Nadal!)? Will the new F1 season continue to be so unpredictable? Could Cal Crutchlow secure a rare british Moto GP podium? Have you been reading the rather excellent "Stunning Olympic Moments" series on the Guardian and what is your favourite Olympic moment? Speaking of the Olympics, have any of you got tickets? Heck, you can even talk about cricket and I'll smile and nod politely and promise not to make any snide comments!

Banned
    By sport, are we including Starcraft 2?

Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    By sport, are we including Starcraft 2?
    If I'm not being snide about cricket I'm sure I can manage not to be snide about Starcraft 2!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    What to say,in september i'm going to start Muay Thai. woop woot!

Wow, that is a truly phenomenal goal. Shame it didn't come a month ago when they were selecting best ones of the last 20 years.

I'm looking forward to Warnock gutting my beloved (not so much these days) Leeds and hopefully bringing in some players who aren't terrible, although with Bates in charge of the purse strings that's unlikely unless the conspiracy theories were true.

In the world of F1 I hope Jenson's luck improves and that Di Resta gets a properly good drive next season.

Old news is old but how did the Devils lose against Wigan again?
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    What about them Sox...

Oh wait, never mind.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Old news is old but how did the Devils lose against Wigan again?
    Wigan are playing incredibly well at the moment. They've deservedly beaten Liverpool (not hard), Arsenal and United recently, dominated Chelsea but were robbed, and crushed Newcastle.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Wigan are playing incredibly well at the moment. They've deservedly beaten Liverpool (not hard), Arsenal and United recently, dominated Chelsea but were robbed, and crushed Newcastle.
    Speaking of which, Newcastle is doing surprisingly well, too. I mean, they usually end up in the middle of the standings but now they're on the 5th spot
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

While trying to judge whether goals were intentional or not puts you on a very slippery slope, there's no way that Cisse one went how he meant it to. :D Still an ace goal but in some ways I'd rate his first last night higher. As for Wigan, this is just what they do at this time of year. If they could actually sort themselves out they'd be destroying the shit teams week-in, week-out and challenging for Europa spots.

I'm a Man United fan, so at the weekend I will become a lifelong Newcastle fan for a couple of hours. My second club (if such a thing is actually, really possible) is Coventry so a sadface for their fortunes this season. :(

Other sports. Erm, well we just had the NFL draft and my team (Denver) made what seems at face value a bit of a meh effort.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

As a mostly neutral (I have an innate liking of Man U because of Sir Alex's success at Aberdeen before I was born and a grown dislike of Man City because they've bought success) the United vs City game on Monday was a massive disappointment. I was expecting something with a bit more bite and pace to it.

Wigan's leaving it late in the season nonsense may come back to haunt them; I imagine there's a lot of clubs who are interested in poaching Martinez, who seems to be a cracking manager.

In other football news, some England fans bemuse me. So many seem ready to dismiss Hodgson straight away. It's bizarre, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    In other football news, some England fans bemuse me. So many seem ready to dismiss Hodgson straight away. It's bizarre, really.
    Yeah, but not surprising given how fickle England fans are. Had Hodgson's appointment come after taking Fulham to the Europa League final it would probably have been a different story.

Given his wide ranging experience and particularly his history of (sometimes) making teams better than the sum of their parts he really is the better candidate. Sadly I suspect that it still won't mean a great deal as our players simply aren't good enough.

I actually wasn't much fussed about the England manager decision either way, so disinterested was I by the fact that it was liable to be Redknapp. Wasn't really fussed about Hodgson either, but some of the response from fans and the press (that arsehole starting talking to him about apartheid needs a slap) has me really rooting for him because I fear he's already onto a hiding for nothing.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Downhill Skateboarding news! (it's a sport, honest)

I'll be heading to Bo Peep Crash and Burn this year, and a friend of mine will be racing. Unfortunately, I won't be racing this year thanks to a nasty leg injury from a month ago, but I hope to be on the roster in 2013.
    I'm Respecting your culture!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Downhill Skateboarding news!
    These are clearly longboards. *scoffs*

I would much rather Hodgson than 'Arry, the media wank off over him recently has been pretty ridiculous, be interesting to see what will happen to him at Spurs now though.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    I'm practically biting my nails in anticipation of Hertha v. Hoffenheim this Saturday. Not usually the most exciting game of the season, but Hertha *must* win this to have any chance of staying up. In all likelihood, they'll go crashing straight back down the season after they were re-promoted. They've been dire.

It's depressing not to have a team from Berlin in the Bundesliga. But on the upside, there's the Berlin derby to look forward to.

Cardiff v. West Ham tonight - come on, South Wales derby in the Premiership.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Most of the anti-Hodgson stuff is from the media, not the fans. This is because 'Arry likes to court the media and they had all anointed him as the chosen one. Most footy fans I know think Hodgson is the better choice, he has international experience, has managed in foreign leagues and has punched above his weight in the Premier League with some pretty average teams (admittedly he didn't do a great job at Liverpool, but he wasn't given much of a chance). It's not like we stand a chance in hell of winning the Euros in any case.

As for Cisse's goal, as a Sunderland fan the kindest thing I can say is that it reminded me of this goal by the one and only SupaKev.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Network Hub AlonePlusEasyTarget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    As for Cisse's goal, as a Sunderland fan the kindest thing I can say is that it reminded me of this goal by the one and only SupaKev.
    Okay I get it:

7:03 AM - Alone + Easy Target: sscscccccacescsqaqdsqsqqsqqqeeeeeeeeeeeseesqecccee eeeedsssssssssqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeq
    7:03 AM - The Player of Games: Play by email, FPS edition

Steam|Last.FM

So I'm hoping QPR 'do a Wigan' and suddenly look like an entirely different team (preferably 70's Brazil) for their trip to the Etihad this weekend. I'm sure at some point on Sunday my desperation-addled mind will convince me that QPR might get a result and give United a chance to take the league.

It'd probably be for the best if City just went 2-0 up in five minutes and put me out of my misery.